DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Still Crazy (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/still-crazy/)
-   -   Canon XTi and wedding photography (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/still-crazy/94879-canon-xti-wedding-photography.html)

Vishad Dewan May 23rd, 2007 09:14 PM

Canon XTi and wedding photography

Hello, I just purchased the XTi as a supplement to my 300D. The reason I chose the XTi over the 30D was because the former is smaller (a big plus...I personally like my equipment to be as unobtrusive as possible), has almost the exact features as the 30D (minus the 5 fps shooting and spot metering)...and because it was $400 cheaper.

Anyway, I'd like to know if anyone has recommendations for a good lens for close-up shots of a human eye or face? I have the standard 18-55mm lens that came with my 300D and a Tamron 28-200mm. Could someone recommend a lens for very close-up shots? I'd also like to stay within a $150 budget if possible.

Thank you for the help.

Noah Hayes June 3rd, 2007 10:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vishad Dewan (Post 685119)
Hello, I just purchased the XTi as a supplement to my 300D. The reason I chose the XTi over the 30D was because the former is smaller (a big plus...I personally like my equipment to be as unobtrusive as possible), has almost the exact features as the 30D (minus the 5 fps shooting and spot metering)...and because it was $400 cheaper.

Uhhh, the 5 fps and spot metering are just the tip of the iceberg of the $400 difference. If you don't use the camera in auto, the 30D has significantly more control in manual than the XT/XTi. The XTi doesn't have the aux. lcd to show your shutter speed, aperture, iso, ect. so it has to turn the huge lcd on the back on anytime you want to change any settings, thus making you have to move the camera away from you face further or tilting the camera down away from your subject(for this reason alone I would have bought another XT over an XTi). The 30D is a METAL body, not plastic, has a much more substantial grip, has more range in shutter speed, more ISO stops in a slightly wider range, in addition to the 5 fps and spot metering...

As far as a macro lens for close ups, I'd recommend reevaluating your lens budget or use what you have now until you can afford a 100mm f/2.8 macro. (You could go with the 50mm f/2.5 macro but most people won't appreciate you sticking the camera that close to their face(especially since you like to be unobtrusive)), the 100mm will allow you to stand at a comfortable distance and still get the shot you want.

Quinn OConnell June 18th, 2007 08:40 PM

Tamron SP 90mm F2.8

A very fast, sharp lense and great price - light weight, extending barrel could be considered a negative.
I have this lense and its amazing - great portrait lense aswell.

Q

Daniel Wang June 22nd, 2007 12:08 AM

For a nice tele lens:

(1) You will be spending more than $150 for decent quality
(2) Most "superzoom" lenses, at telephoto end, quality takes a major hit.

200mm on a 70-200 is better than 200mm on a 28-200.

The Sigma/Tamron 70-300 is nice, not sure on the price. Stay away from lenses such as the 18-200, 28-200/300 whatever. I haven't really run into a day-to-day situation where I'd need longer than 200mm.

“If your pictures aren’t good enough, then you are not close enough.”

For weddings, you need a fast lens. Most wedding photographers I know dont carry anything longer than a 70-200/2.8, because 200 usually fills up the frame nicely and 300/2.8 is usually to large and intrusive to use at a wedding. You're going to have to carry more stuff around, but the quality will be much better than if you used a single body, flash, and super zoom lens.

Primes would be a best, but given the route you've taken with your body, it doesn't seem like a route you'd take with lenses.

Emre Safak June 22nd, 2007 07:54 AM

Weddings photographers should have backups, so go get another XTi with the money you saved on the 30D. Plus you will be able to mount another lens on the second body.

I would get a 70-400mm f/4L IS for one, and a 12-24mm f/4 for the other. Your existing lenses are not going to do the camera justice (Especially the tele). Your budget is too low...and don't go taking close ups of the bride's face. They do not want to see every pore on their face!

Daniel Browning June 23rd, 2007 12:06 AM

Have you tried using your Tamron 28-200?