DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Streaming A View (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/streaming-view/)
-   -   SlingStudio: fits in a backpack. (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/streaming-view/534029-slingstudio-fits-backpack.html)

Chris Hurd May 2nd, 2017 04:55 PM

SlingStudio: fits in a backpack.

2 Attachment(s)
One of the coolest things I saw at NAB2017 was SlingStudio.

Full press release, specs, video and images here:

Introducing SlingStudio: The new bar in professional-grade multi-camera production and live video broadcasting at DV Info Net

Quote:

Starting at $999, SlingStudio is the industry’s first affordable, wireless, portable multi-camera production solution that lets users of all skill levels record, monitor and edit four HD video inputs from up to 10 connected cameras and smartphones. SlingStudio can output live video to streaming services like Facebook Live and YouTube, and simultaneously record to a USB hard drive, USB SSD or SD card for post-production.
Ships in May from B&H.

Let me know what you think.

Donald McPherson May 3rd, 2017 12:05 AM

Re: SlingStudio: fits in a backpack.

Great affordable price. But what range is the WiFi.

Chris Harding May 3rd, 2017 02:55 AM

Hi Donald

With Livestream Studio I don't have any real issues with wifi to the computer but there is a huge issue when streaming via wifi even if the computer and router are a few feet from each other. I can send video from a camera in other room to the computer but I dare not stream from the computer to the same router with wifi ..it falls to pieces!!

I assume the $999 unit has an ethernet output socket that allows you to cable between the unit and router? The wifi range for camera to the unit is claimed as 300' since you asked!

Sending from the switcher to router with wifi results in very flaky video but from the camera to switcher it doesn't seem so critical? Apart from the fact that the Mevo system includes the camera as well I wonder what the pros and cons of each are?

Donald McPherson May 3rd, 2017 11:36 AM

I meant from camera to the backpack. When you are on the go say at a wedding how far can the camera go from the backpack?

Chris Harding May 3rd, 2017 06:30 PM

Hi Donald ... I think the backpack is just to carry everything but the main unit (the $999 one) has specs that say the camera units cab communicate back to the hub up to 300' I'm also assuming that you have to use an iPad as a controller so does that mean that Android devices are simply not supported ... Livestream's MEVO cameras also have the same restriction so you have to add the cost of an iPad Pro if you don't own one, All in all assuming that you already have 2 cameras the system would cost you pretty close to $3000 once you have bought 2 x camera modules, 2 x batteries, the main hub and an iPad Pro ...still pretty economical for a complete setup !

Bob Krieger January 29th, 2018 02:06 PM

I have one of these beasts I use at school for a News show we do. The price was right for everything we need.
Gear list: SlingStudio Hub & battery (about 2-2.5 hours of use)
3 iPod Touch 6th gen devices
1 9.7" iPad (current version)
recording to a 64GB SD card inserted into the Hub.
Audio from 2 wireless lavs into a Tascam DR-70 and out to the Hub.

We have one iPod as a two shot camera (unmanned). The other two are used for close-ups and are usually operated by students. Student videos such as show opens and closes, class commercials, and news packages, shot on their phones and edited using WeVideo, are stored to the Hub and rolled in as needed. We connect the Hub to the school wifi and stream from there to a private YouTube link. Everything works pretty darn good, if you ask me! We've tried the system out on the soccer field and got about 250'-300' distances with the iPods to the Hub and the Hub to the iPad for control. Shooting sports will be much beter if we had the camera links and "real" video cameras, though. For the price it's been well worth it for us. I can see using the system for some corporate gigs, local sports and events.

Enrique Orozco Robles February 10th, 2018 12:47 PM

Hi Bob. Whats the minimum upstream speed recommended for wifi ?? ... Did your school's wifi meets the requirements ?? ... I'm planning to use the sling in México, but here in most schools and public places the wifi speeds are very low ... I guess in the US most access points have good speeds ...

any advice would be greatly appreciated ...

Regards

Bob Krieger February 19th, 2018 02:09 PM

Here at school, we have a very nice upload speed. But I've also done a remote show with a phone's hotspot as my internet connection. It worked well enough. Sling Studio recommends that you have a greater than 8Mbps upload speed. Try taking a look at that and see what speeds are available. I also use the network adapter dongle to ensure a solid network connection. I've used it at a coffee shop with a ethernet cable to connect rather than use their overloaded free wifi!

Martin Pauly June 6th, 2018 11:25 AM

I've had a SlingStudio setup for a few months now, and I am impressed with what it can do and how easy it is to use.

I'm really struggling, though, with the stability of streaming connections for YouTube. It seems like even small bottlenecks in the connection lead to the stream being ended. Yes, I can restart and create another stream, but is there a more graceful option to keep the stream going, maybe with a short gap in time?

Thanks,
Martin