DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Streaming A View (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/streaming-view/)
-   -   Streaming for over 26 hours (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/streaming-view/534529-streaming-over-26-hours.html)

Tony McGuire August 12th, 2017 04:04 PM

Streaming for over 26 hours

Has anyone here done anything like this.

A local club has come to me looking to live stream a event to facebook over 3 day. The first day will be about 5 hours and the other 2 days will be for about 11 hours each. I will be meeting with the person that rang me Monday at the location to chat about it.

I will be about a 100 meters from the building that has broadband and will be in a trailer of a lorry so I will not have hight problems. The building that has broadband is a public centre. I have not said I will do it as this is the first of a such a stream I will be doing.

The other thing is I do not have a rain cover for my camera (Sony HVR-Z5) which I could not say if it would be dry on the days of doing the streams or which way the wind will be blowing the rain. I am thinking of using mobile broadband and then I would be sure to have speed and will be the only one on it.

Edward Carlson August 12th, 2017 04:31 PM

Re: Streaming for over 26 hours

It's not going to work. The time limit for a live stream on Facebook is 4 hours.

Tony McGuire August 12th, 2017 05:27 PM

I forgot to say I know about facebook limit and was going to stream to YouTube and share the link on Facebook. I have done a local talent show before and it was 5 hours long but 11-12 hours on the other 2 day.

The other thing is the this event a big one as there will be club from all over Ireland as far as I know taking part in the Costal Rowing Championships. It was a local club who asked me. I am going to hope to find out more on Monday about it.

I have also found out abit more by googling this event and there will be someone else on the 3rd day do a stream for Irish Coastal Rowing Federation who would be over the over all event for the 3 days.

On the web site of the CRF says that the first 2 days will not be streamed (which I think it means not by them)

Chris Harding August 12th, 2017 06:48 PM

Hi Tony

I would stick to a mobile connection unless the broadband being offered is a fibre optic link ... standard ADSL usually has a capped upload of 1 or 2 mbps which is hopeless for streaming ... Do a physical speed test on site before you commit to the job!! I guess you will make sure that your camera, audio gear and router etc etc has the capacity to run for 11 hours non stop??

What exactly will your setup be between the cameras and router ? computer or just an encoder??

Tony McGuire August 13th, 2017 12:07 PM

Hi Chris,

I can do it 2 ways the first one would be my choice. The Camera is a Sony HDR-FX1

1. Camera to encoder then cat5 to mobile broadband modem it would be ether of these (LiveShell or Datavideo NVS-25) Both will be powered via mains along with the camera.

2. Camera to video mixer via usb to laptop then cat5 to mobile broadband modem.

I have got another bit of info in around about way. Its the money side of it. I have heard that there not much money for this

Chris Harding August 14th, 2017 04:48 AM

Yeah the first option is simpler and easier.. Do you need graphics or not? When I do simple weddings with one camera I just send HDMI to aTeradek encoder and that connects with Cat5 to the router. Less to go wrong

I did this on Friday https://livestream.com/videohouse/ev...deos/161084597

and although it's not nearly as slick as a title or lower third .. we tend to run around the front of the camera (and flip the LCD too) and play "presenter" then scoot around the back and film ... it does save having a computer or a mixer unit that does graphics and really keeps the budget low ... you could even have a lighting stand with a frame on it and slip in caption cards (a4 size) and film them instead of using titles.

If I'm doing multicam I use a laptop that use QuickSync enabled but STILL use the Teradek from the HDMI laptop video out port and use the laptop just for graphics ... I can run 1 x HDMI cam plus 2 x USB conference cams (Logitech Connect) into a laptop with OBS (which is free!) and send the mixed output to the Teradek and then again Cat5e to 4GX router

Tony McGuire August 14th, 2017 03:47 PM

Thank you to all who have replyed to me.

I have been chatting to the club and have also got it in around about way from them that there is not much money and the where looking for it for next to nothing.

I have said I will not be able to do it.

Chris Harding August 14th, 2017 06:15 PM

Fair enough Tony!

I don't mind doing the odd freebie if it's a short shoot and it will allow me to penetrate a new market ... 30 mins to an hour if I'm not busy can be useful but certainly not 26 hours of streaming !! Your data costs alone, never mind your time, will put you out of pocket and unless doing this would get you a heap of future jobs with the club, you are sensible to leave it alone!

In the future, it's often worth telling clubs to get sponsorship from existing businesses to cover events like this as clubs seldom have funds spare!!

Andrew Smith August 14th, 2017 09:11 PM

Agreed. No point subsidising their 'reality bubble'.

Andrew

Chris Harding August 14th, 2017 09:31 PM

Who finances your footy games you guys stream Andrew??

Andrew Smith August 14th, 2017 11:21 PM

I'm subbing for the guy who has the contract. It comes through the local AFL club layer.

Andrew