DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Streaming A View (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/streaming-view/)
-   -   Vimeo now has a 'live' streaming service (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/streaming-view/534722-vimeo-now-has-live-streaming-service.html)

Andrew Smith September 26th, 2017 08:47 PM

Vimeo now has a 'live' streaming service

Good thing they weren't in a rush, eh?

Meet Vimeo Live: professional live streaming for events

Quote:

It’s a beautiful thing to live in the moment. And now, it’s seriously beautiful: the launch of Vimeo Live means that you can now get professional live streaming for all your events. We’re thrilled to reveal live streaming because this request came straight from our community, and it’s designed to help creators tell their stories in pristine quality. So whether you put on lectures or concerts, car races or conferences, Vimeo Live has the tools you need to deliver the best live stream to your audience.
Looks like they are pinning it as an uber-premium service, and is priced accordingly.

Andrew

Chris Harding September 26th, 2017 09:44 PM

Re: Vimeo now has a 'live' streaming service

They also bought out Livestream Andrew!!! Yeah their hosting is very pricey ..something like $75 a month with restricted hours too!!

https://techcrunch.com/2017/09/26/vi...video-product/

Andrew Smith September 26th, 2017 11:16 PM

I can't possibly think as to why I would be paying that sort of money to be live streaming through Vimeo. I'm already a bit over them as it is.

Andrew

Chris Harding September 26th, 2017 11:40 PM

Yeah I really cannot see the point ...$100 a month and you are restricted to 5 hours a month ..are they crazy?? Two local footy games would eat up your "quota" so to get unlimited streams you need their business package at $380 a month .... even crazier!! MY LS account is $499 a YEAR and I share it with a mate on the Gold Coast ... we get unlimited views and unlimited streams for $22 a month each.

Boyd Ostroff September 27th, 2017 05:34 AM

Don't know much about it, but I think Livestream has catered to a different kind of market in the past. My daughter works for a large advertising agency and they have used them for years and have been happy.

Craig Seeman September 27th, 2017 07:47 AM

I do think they have some things in common. Livestream and Vimeo focus more on creative art events rather than the podcaster/self caster type shows you see on YouTube.

Livestream moved away from that as they went from Mogulus to Livestream (old) to the New Livestream (which had set some serious limits on free use). Basically they both discourage casual use "small operator." They both don't use free ad based revenue models. Livestream's studio in Brooklyn has a great live event space (I live near there) which probably was under utilized.

I think Livestream was hoping for some upscale corporate use but, unless one deliberately wanted some restricted viewership, Youtube provides much better reach if it's a public event. That the upscale corporate didn't really materialize may have made Livestream an attractive purchase for Vimeo.

I know Livestream was hopping to attract an arts community as a client base. This is something Vimeo has.

I suspect the client base they looking for will be performance oriented such as live music and maybe even drama.

Andrew Smith September 27th, 2017 08:15 AM

Given that YouTube and Facebook operate so well in the 'free' domain, other players have no choice but to find other niche markets that will pay.

Andrew

Chris Harding September 28th, 2017 12:33 AM

Livestream currently has 3 FaceBook Groups and after I posted my dis-satisfaction with feeble excuses about new pricing the support staff have gone to ground which is a sure sign they are gunning for the smaller professional operator with the hope they will be happy with the 600% increase in plans!

As I put in my post "complete silence from support staff seems to indicate they don't want to talk about it any more" ....Previously they were quite happy to put up posts saying everything would stay the same but when challenged they quickly kept quiet!!

For those of you stream who uses what service and why?? Will be interesting to know!!

Andrew Smith September 28th, 2017 05:13 AM

Sounds like their marching orders have been updated now that the new management have taken over.

Their lack of responsiveness is very telling indeed. So glad it's not my problem.

Andrew

Chris Harding September 28th, 2017 06:49 AM

They actually came back eventually and said things will stay the same ..this is from the ex CEO of Livestream who seems to have been re-assigned as General Manager of Live Streaming so the real CEO of the company will have the final say! If it remains as it is then good but I cannot see anyone using the Vimeo live at their current prices

Are you still streaming to YouTube Live Andrew?? Any issues or hassles with them??

Andrew Smith September 28th, 2017 11:28 AM

YouTube Live works well. I do notice that (when monitoring the stream from the YouTube site) that there is a bit of motion jumping when at sub-1080 resolutions (480p for example) ... almost like a frame rate conversion in PPro without selecting the "blended frames" option.

But I'm not concerned with it because it's only more noticeable with sports action content and it's a YouTube thing. What I send to YouTube is a good quality stream and that's all that matters. (YouTube's processing of what they receive is not my issue as I can't do anything about it.)

Andrew

Chris Harding September 28th, 2017 11:11 PM

Just for interest, if I upload a wedding ceremony that has copyright music they send me an email and then put an ad on the video.

If you are using You Tube Live do they physically stop the stream if they detect any music or do they do much the same as an uploaded video clip?

Donald McPherson September 28th, 2017 11:55 PM

I should not admit this. But I watched a live Boxing fight on Live Facebook with someone pointing their camera at the TV. I came across it and many others transmitting the same fight in the Facebook Livestream map.

Steven Davis October 19th, 2017 06:16 PM

I'd settle for a multi-video player from Vimeo..... SMH No idea why they did away with it.

Andrew Smith October 19th, 2017 06:44 PM

Multi-video?

Andrew