New to Live Streaming at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Most Recent Additions... > Streaming A View
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Streaming A View
Hardware, software, technique and workflow for live video streaming.

Old February 25th, 2020, 04:51 PM   #1
Major Player

New to Live Streaming

Hi everyone,

I am new to live streaming (like I have never done it) and looking to get started with it. Might have some clients who need to live stream their meetings and cut to power points as well.

Any advice on basic equipment and ways to set up? Youtube is free and would probably work for my purposes. I already have camera's with HDMI outputs, but that's it.

Any advice would really be appreciated as I am totally new to this and looking to gather information quickly. Thanks again!
Silas Barker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 25th, 2020, 08:47 PM   #2
Major Player

Re: New to Live Streaming

You need a switcher and a streaming encoder. These can be the same device, or two different devices. An easy to use and cheap piece of software is OBS. It's very popular with the Twitch streaming crowd. You'll need some video capture cards to get your cameras into your computer. You will need one per external video source, with the proper input type (HDMI or SDI.) I recommend Magewell or AJA Utap if you have a laptop, or Blackmagic Decklink if you have a desktop with some free PCIe slots.

For audio, you can either run it into the camera so it's embedded on the HDMI or SDI, or you can use a USB audio interface. I really like the Focusrite Scarlett.
Edward Carlson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 26th, 2020, 01:05 AM   #3
Inner Circle

I'm very please with the dirt cheap blackmagic design ATEM Mini - 4 HDMI ins and loads of facilities and a dedicated output to go your computer for streaming via your favourite app.

It's only drawback is that it has no built in multicam, but 40 quid to amazon fixed that with a 4 in monitor box and a few HDMI splitters.
Paul R Johnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 16th, 2020, 11:19 PM   #4
Regular Crew

check this:

https://www.myslingstudio.com/

... I have one hub, with one transmitter and made live streaming events with an iPad and two cameras ... no need for laptop ... and wireless !!

all the best
Old August 15th, 2020, 01:39 PM   #5
Inner Circle

Thanks for the tip on SlingStudio, wonder how it would work in a church setting.
Old September 28th, 2020, 07:25 PM   #6
Inner Circle

Hey Silas,

first you need to decide what equipment you want to use. Basically you've got two options: hardware or software. For software there are a number of cheap BMDesign switchers. For software, the best I know of is vMix. Make your decision based on what you feel more confident with, and then build from there.
Old September 29th, 2020, 12:07 AM   #7
Major Player

A good laptop and a couple of HDMI to USB converters. (three in did not work with my laptop) I use two different brands so save any conflict with drivers. For software you pay your money and use what you get. I have Xsplit. As said many use OBS this would give you the cheapest option to dip your toe into live streaming.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Most Recent Additions... > Streaming A View