DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Taking Care of Business (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/taking-care-business/)
-   -   Scams (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/taking-care-business/10544-scams.html)

Brad Simmons June 6th, 2003 11:10 AM

Scams

Hi guys. There is someone over at my site who made a post offering a brand new Canon XL1s for under a thousand dollars. His post was as follows:

-----------------------
yes it's true! you can get your own brand new canon XL1s for under 1000$! skeptical? email me at bpossl98@calvin.edu and i'll tell you how to get it! i usually don't check forums that often, so if you reply, please reply to the above address. and you'll be happy to know that this USA kit also includes all accessories, including batteries, 16x lens, and a 1 year warranty! don't believe me? ask me about it! all for under 1,000$!!!! email me!
----------------------

Have you guys heard of this scam before? Just wanted to know if I should outright delete his post so nobody gets screwed over. OR if this isn't a scam, how is it that people offer a full warranty brand new XL1s for under a thousand dollars? Tried emailing him but no answer yet. Just wondering.

Frank Granovski June 6th, 2003 11:48 AM

That's one of Walter Chan's posts, I believe. He posted this over on dv.com's camera forum a while back. But who knows if Walter Chan is his real name---he's the guy that got ripped off by an e-bay scam, and then he began posting his own scams.

Mark Moore June 6th, 2003 12:13 PM

He also posted on studentfilms.com in several categories and basically got chased off! Same email address.

On a different but same subject, I saw a used XL1 at B and H for $2495 (with 16x lens). I don't know if that is a good price or not, but at least they (and the sponsors on this board) are reliable!

Brad Simmons June 6th, 2003 12:40 PM

thanks guys. Good to know!
So what does he do, basically takes your money and you never hear from him? or do you think he actually has grey market cameras or something?

Mark Moore June 6th, 2003 01:20 PM

I'm not sure. Maybe both! On sf.com, he posted to "email him" for info. I posted to suggest that he simply post the info and more people could benefit from it. His reply was some blather about being able to better help people one-on-one and crap.

He was basically chased off by the board members and the moderator. This was back in April.

Frank Granovski June 6th, 2003 01:21 PM

I can't remember, but one of Walter's scams entailed sending the money, then getting a number of other suckers to send in their money. Once these X-amount of suckers send in their money, you get your cam...yeah, I bet! :)

Mark Moore June 6th, 2003 01:59 PM

That does sound familiar. He was charging $175 for the camera - so to get a $3500 (?) XL1s, you would need 20 people to pay $175 (not counting his commission!).

I suppose if you were 'investor' #1, then perhaps you had a chance (if the scam was honest!), but to me - $175 is about eighteen meals at my favorite Mexican restaurant!

Umm, can you say steak, fajita quesadia?

Dylan Couper June 6th, 2003 03:52 PM

I e-mailed him. I'll post whatever I get back from him (nothing yet).

It's probably pyramid related.

Garret Ambrosio June 6th, 2003 06:02 PM

Matrix...simple as that. This is a matrix list in which you put in you $175 and after the list overflows, say 20 people, you get yours. So it is a form of a pyramid scheme and it is highly illegal in the US. Why haven't they been prosecuted? Probably someone still has not complained loud enough through the halls of American Jurisprudence.

As for invest opportunities, what happens if the list never fills up and you are number 10 of 20...it is an endless chain that can not support itself. Caveat Emptor, and stay away.

Dylan Couper June 7th, 2003 07:17 PM

Gerret is right. Matrix scam. They say its legal because when you pay, you get their e-book, for $175 so they are actually selling something. Pfft... BS. Hopefully they will get busted sooner than later. I won't even bother posting the website I was directed to.