DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Taking Care of Business (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/taking-care-business/)
-   -   I pay $300 per year with Nationwide (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/taking-care-business/12675-i-pay-300-per-year-nationwide.html)

Rob Easler July 31st, 2003 10:27 AM

I pay $300 per year with Nationwide

My policy is about $300 for the year for 1Mil in liability coverage and some property coverage. I went through Nationwide who is also my homeowners and auto carrier. I reccomend checking with the same company who carries your renters or homeowners policy or your auto carrier. May be easier to get set up, maybe a discount, maybe not. You won't need E & O if you just need it for the shoot at this location, though you could use it for customer related issues and the like. Those type of claims are very rare, unless your using non-royalty free music, but of course coverage for that would be denied as intentional acts are excluded.

K. Forman July 31st, 2003 11:07 AM

Rob- I am assuming you are referring to my post about insurance certificates? If so, what is E&O? And what exactly is the kind of policy you have? Few here have a clue what I need, and I know little myself. I really only need it for a few months while shooting, but at $300 a year, it ain't bad...

Rob Easler July 31st, 2003 05:08 PM

E & O is...

I meant to post it in your thread but apparently something went wrong.

E & O stands for errors and ommisions. Professional Liability...(or E&O, as it is widely known) is a important form of liability coverage which protects you when your product or service fails to do what it was intended to do and your client suffers monetarily from that failure, most often though loss of productivity.

Because you are not selling a service to the shoot site, there would be virtually no chance that they could make a claim for the services you did incorrectly or did not complete.

Your reason for purchasing the insurance seems to be primarily because it is required by the shooting site. They want to be sure that in case you cause bodily injury or property damage while on their premesis that they, the site owner or manager, could tender the claim to you and not be liabile themselves. If a claim was made against them that they believed involved or resulted from your work they would send it your way. The regular general liability policy will cover these types of risks.

K. Forman July 31st, 2003 05:17 PM

You have hit the nail on te head. The insurance is just to protect the property owners from damages. Is that covered by the professional liability?

Rob Easler July 31st, 2003 05:29 PM

No, it usually is not covered by professional liability coverage. Your risks at the shoot site are covered by the normal general liability coverage. Professional liability or E&O is normally an add on coverage to an existing GL ploicy for protection against the risks mentioned above related to improperly performed or incomplete products and services.

A film company or wedding/event videographer could use this protection but not if it is soley for the shoot sites protection. You will probably have to purchase the insurance for a year policy period. I doubt anyone will sell anything less in that price range.

K. Forman July 31st, 2003 05:56 PM

Thanks for all of your help Rob!

Barry Gilbert July 31st, 2003 06:39 PM

This is way I come here everyday. I learn a lot from the folks here. Now I know what to ask for "before" I get started.

K. Forman July 31st, 2003 07:05 PM

You and me both, brother! I have called insurance companies, and had nothing but silence and confusion. I wasn't sure WHAT I needed exactly, just knew I needed to be insured. They didn't have ANY idea.

Now I know more, and more important- I have a general idea of what to pay.