DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Taking Care of Business (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/taking-care-business/)
-   -   .tv domains (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/taking-care-business/142609-tv-domains.html)

Brian Luce January 28th, 2009 08:12 PM

.tv domains

Anyone use these? Thoughts on them?

Shaun Roemich January 28th, 2009 08:24 PM

A client/colleague of mine uses one. His business name ends in TV though so it was a no-brainer. I think most people will remember the domain name BEFORE the "dot" and tend to add "com". That's why I went with dot com for my domain.

Adam Gold January 29th, 2009 12:51 PM

I have com, net and tv (and sometimes org) for all my domains. Cheap insurance that no matter how much anybody screws up, they end up with you anyway.

Chris Davis January 29th, 2009 09:07 PM

Our business is mostly web design. A .tv domain is ok if you also own the .com (i.e. yourname.com and yourname.tv).

If you're buying the .tv domain because you can't get the .com - people *will* go to the .com address and send your email to the .com address.

Unfortunately, .com has become the "default" domain - anything else is second best.

Brian Luce January 30th, 2009 01:34 AM

The problem is, of course, that at this stage of the game, dotcoms that sound anything like anything are already registered.

Tripp Woelfel January 30th, 2009 07:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brian Luce (Post 1003690)
The problem is, of course, that at this stage of the game, dotcoms that sound anything like anything are already registered.

That's not entirely true. When I registered my domain 15 months ago, I got my a .com domain with my full company name, Covered Bridge Productions. A bit long but dead easy to remember. What I couldn't get was the abbreviation, CBP.com, but that was OK.

My point is that there are still some out there so don't give it up out of hand. I think the key to a good domain name is to get the easiest one to remember.

Gary Nattrass January 30th, 2009 07:57 AM

Yup I am using it iNorthEast.tv

Jeff Emery January 30th, 2009 06:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Adam Gold (Post 1003319)
I have com, net and tv

Hey Adam,
How about sending me your website links.

info@jeffemery.com

Thanks

Chris Davis January 31st, 2009 10:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brian Luce (Post 1003690)

And I heard the same thing back in 2000. I advise clients that have not yet finalized a company name to let the availablity of a .com influence that decision. A lot of very successful companies have used what the US Patent and Trademark office calls a "fanciful name". A made up nonsense name.

For example, instead of "Nelson Video Productions", call it "NoodleQ Video" and register noodleq.com. It's memorable and you're not stuck with a second-best TLD.