DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Taking Care of Business (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/taking-care-business/)
-   -   Advice on selling, please (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/taking-care-business/15285-advice-selling-please.html)

Shawn Mielke October 3rd, 2003 01:25 AM

Advice on selling, please

Hello,
I have a Sony DSR PDX10 with 4-6 hour battery and Portabrace bag that I would like to sell, and I'm looking for advice.
I bought it new from B&HPHOTO almost two months ago and have used it for no more than 10 hours. It is in perfect shape, aside from fingerprints on the touch screen menu :-), and has undergone no close calls or general thumps of any kind. I'm selling it because I can't afford a DVX100 otherwise. You understand, I'm sure.
I have never sold anything online before. What is a good price for a hardly used $2000 cam, $170bag and $90battery? And how do I set up for the transaction? Thanks so much in advance,
Regards,
Shawn

Frank Granovski October 3rd, 2003 01:49 AM

I'd drop about $400 of today's price. Why do you want the DVX100? It's a slightly better cam in some respects, but you won't have good 16:9, DVCAM nor manual slow shutter settings.

Shawn Mielke October 3rd, 2003 02:23 AM

Frank,
I will miss great 16;9, for now, it's true. I need those bigger chips, for one thing: better low light. I want the wider range of abilities for various projects/jobs-to-be. I will get a second cam at some point, next year, perhaps the PDX10 again. Thanks for helping me check in with my decision making, though. I'm quite sure about this.

Ken Tanaka October 3rd, 2003 11:14 AM

Shawn,
If you assume a 3-year life for this kit and if there are no mechanical or cosmetic issues, you would realistically discount its price by about $65 per month of ownership. This would be your top-dollar price.

Shawn Mielke October 3rd, 2003 12:41 PM

Huh! Thanks, Ken. I am curious as to how/where you get the $65 number. Just general sales experience? If you were me what would you sell this mini kit for (there are positively no mechanical or cosmetic issues with any of the three items) ?
Is there a best way to set up for the transaction? Paypal, that sort of thing? How is it done?

Frank Granovski October 3rd, 2003 12:48 PM

As soon as you buy a cam, and crack the box open, the cam is not new. You have to take a loss in order to sell it, bottom line.

Ken Tanaka October 3rd, 2003 02:14 PM

Shawn,
All I did was to use a straight-line 3 year depreciation on the rough values of the kit. ($2200 / 36 months) I bumped up the figure to $65. In the case of this equipment, however, I would be prepared to discount from that figure.

I've sold gear using PayPal, bank drafts and money orders. If using PayPal be aware of their commission.

Shawn Mielke October 3rd, 2003 04:55 PM

Thanks, Ken. Do you have a sense of which method buyers might be more comfortable with? I am at this point an unknown seller.

Dylan Couper October 3rd, 2003 04:55 PM

If you are looking to squeeze every last penny out of it, sell the bag and extra battery seperatly. You won't really get any more for your camera if you include them with it.

David Korb December 21st, 2003 10:04 PM

Its worth every penny your asking...i wish i didnt already have one or i would buy it from you...ive never been more excited about any camera in my life the pdx10 rocks !!! if i had a vx2000 it probably would be used as my 2nd camera

Shawn Mielke December 22nd, 2003 04:09 AM

I appreciate your encouragement and enthusiasm, and I couldn't agree with you more, which is why I decided to keep my PDX10 :-) .
And, indeed, my second cam will be, well, not a vx2000, but a PD170. Together, they shall make beeeeautiful music!