DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Taking Care of Business (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/taking-care-business/)
-   -   corporate exploitation (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/taking-care-business/16157-corporate-exploitation.html)

Dylan Couper October 23rd, 2003 02:44 PM

corporate exploitation

OK, the title may be a little misleading... :)

I'm wondering if anyone here, in any walk of the video or photo or media circles, ever uses their occupation to get free stuff?

For example, my dad is a writer/journalist and gets loads of free things, from dinners to electronics for reviews, to occasional trips, to free passes for events and such, depending on what he is writing.

Does anyone in this type of business ever get stuff like that? And if so, how?

My motive in asking is that I'll be back in Florida in December and I want to go to Disneyland free. Trying to figure out how I can.

K. Forman October 23rd, 2003 02:47 PM

Apply for a job.

Frank Granovski October 23rd, 2003 02:49 PM

Promote products you believe in, and some freebies will come to you without asking; but it is better to ask.

J. Clayton Stansberry October 23rd, 2003 02:50 PM

Just an idea - never done it: Tell them you are doing a Documentary and need to research the park...of course embellish the story more than that. Then, after you research, tell them that you ran out of funds.

Just an idea. I don't know any other way to get free stuff in a business other than lying, or rather bending the truth a little, or just flat out demanding something from someone or company. I would like to know how too. I am no sales-person/sweet-talker and could also use the help. Oh, and I don't have the best luck in the world...fancy that!

Dylan Couper October 23rd, 2003 03:05 PM

Well, I don't want to outright lie about it.
And I definitely don't want a J O B ! (thanks Keith ;)

I could do a short documentary piece, not a bad idea.

Other thoughts?

J. Clayton Stansberry October 23rd, 2003 03:25 PM

Yeah, I hate lying, that's why I gave you the idea...because I could never do it...but a short doc would be cool...make sure it's a "behind the scenes" doc about the office life of upper management...they'll be the one's with the ability to give you the most stuff!

Don Donatello October 27th, 2003 04:04 PM

stay at a hotel that includes a "free " pass ??

Jeff Donald October 27th, 2003 04:12 PM

Get your Dad to send you to Disneyland to research a story.

John Locke October 28th, 2003 02:09 AM

Dylan,

In my experience, "free" is usually anything but. I get wined and dined all the time with my day job...but only in exchange for time to listen to what they want to say--which often goes well beyond a dinner and can turn into numerous meetings, e-mails, telephone calls. And freebies come with the same hitch...giving time in exchange, or promises to do trial runs, give feedback, etc.

So before accepting freebies, I always weigh whether I'm willing to "get into bed" with this person--so to speak. ;)

Chris Hurd October 29th, 2003 08:01 AM

TANSTAAFL

There ain't no such thing as a free lunch.

You wind up paying, one way or another.

Includes amusement parks -- pay the two dollars!

Dylan Couper October 29th, 2003 08:39 AM

Chris, I don't know the last time you've been to Disney, but it's a bit more than two bucks now. You aren't dating yourself, are you? (j/k)

Thanks for the advice so far guys. Will let you know what happens.