DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Taking Care of Business (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/taking-care-business/)
-   -   How many DVI'ers are making a 'video' living? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/taking-care-business/17503-how-many-dviers-making-video-living.html)

Kevin King November 23rd, 2003 10:28 PM

How many DVI'ers are making a 'video' living?

A friend of mine just asked how many people here on DVInfo are making their primary income from video related efforts. I thought it was a good question to put to a poll. I'd assume most of us are pure hobbiests, but I know there are a few pros here also. Just curious.

Maybe some of the wranglers who have been around the forum for a while could answer the question best.

If you do make a full time living with video, would you mind noting which sector of the market you are in? (Commerical & promotional, TV spots, weddings & events, short films, documentry, etc?).

Thanks. This should be interesting.

Guest November 24th, 2003 12:57 AM

I make money on doing shoots as a cameraman, sound and lighting.

As for the times I am down I teach Final Cut Pro and other applications to make money and to barter for the rest of the stuff I need.

Ken Tanaka November 24th, 2003 01:32 AM

See this thread, started a long while ago.

Mike Butler November 25th, 2003 08:07 PM

Take a look at my signature under this post. That's what I do. I would say that in the past three years, video has taken up a greater and greater share of my time, and I barely have time to do the print work anymore.

I still shoot my fair share of stills, but it is the video work that gets me sent around the country. September, Palm Springs. October, Atlanta. November, NYC & Philly. December, Las Vegas. Lots of local stuff in between. And all the post-production associated with it.

What kind of video? Corporate...that's a catch-all, I know. Promotional, events "happy face" reels, new product info, "business updates", training & HR videos, b-roll for broadcast publicity, plus compilations of outside-sourced video and recording off-air of relevant broadcasts (like when one of our executives or employees gets interviewed on-air).

So, it's as close to full-time as you can get without totally ditching my other media duties.

Kevin Maistros December 20th, 2003 09:27 AM

I'm a professional Director and Designer. So, yes I make my living by this. I work mostly in the music and extreme sports industries, and also do side projects for fun on my own time.

My personal capabilities run strongest in filmmaking and graphic/web design. I often do Music Videos (Mtv kind and local kind) and go on tour with bands taping their live shows for B-Roll, or for a big tour we'll put together the footage on a DVD. I often also do graphic design work for the record labels or bands themselves. Logos, CD covers, merch designs, flyers, stickers, buttons, and whatever other promotion material you might be able to think of.

I also am starting to become more active in the extreme sports industry.. making skating videos. Any skating video I make has a guaranteed distribution rate of at least 3,000 copies and even if sold at $10 a copy.. that makes back a pocketed $15,000 after duplication and distribution percent's taken out. Usually sell for $16 or $18 a copy. Then, I also help run the largest and longest running clothing company in the "extreme" rollerblading industry, which helps as well.

I have my own studio for hire gig going for production, sound, and design.. music videos, commercial spots, industrial and coporate videos, and event coverage. Other services run through everything from recording and mixing sound or creating it.. folley, etc to web and graphic design to business consulting. Basically, we're a one stop shop. Aside from the client work, though.. I like to make short films and the occasional feature length.