DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Taking Care of Business (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/taking-care-business/)
-   -   Nightmare with Amazon.com's "associate" (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/taking-care-business/19046-nightmare-amazon-coms-associate.html)

Hse Kha December 31st, 2003 01:21 PM

Nightmare with Amazon.com's "associate"

I went to Amazon.com looking for a the Sony VX2100. It then took me a the web site of "Royal Camera" and they had one in stock for $1799.99 and I placed an order for one. I gave them my address, credit card number, everything, all online. I was charged $60 for shipping, was I thought was high, but the price on the camera was so good I did not mind.

Today I got an e-mail from them saying I need to telephone them to confirm my order. So I did. The first thing they asked was if I wanted to buy some filters. I said no. Then they said if I wanted an extended warranty for $500. I said no. They they suggested that I should buy the battery and charger, to which I said it comes with it, and they said no. They said the batter and charger would cost $500. Then I said no, I will just take the camcorder.

They got very angry and told me "fine, you willl get it in a few months" and hung up the phone.

What kind of scam is this??? I am very worried now as they have my credit card number and God knows what if anything I will ever get from them.

Surely this has to be a legit business since it was directed from Amazon.com.

Anyone else had a similar experience?

Chris Kirby December 31st, 2003 02:13 PM

Contact Amazon, and your credit card company immediatly.

Mike Rehmus December 31st, 2003 02:39 PM

If it sounds too good to be true, then it almost always is.

Send Royal a letter, delivery receipt requested, canceling your order. Tell them why you are canceling.

Copy Amazon.com and also complain about their selection.

Watch your credit card statement for the next 6 months.

The price you thought you were paying is below the dealer's cost for the camera.

Glenn Chan December 31st, 2003 02:42 PM

This is why you buy from reputable dealers (like the ones that sponsor dvinfo.net) and check resellerratings.com before you buy.

Royal Camera is not supposed to charge your credit card until they ship your camera. It's unlikely that they will ship your camera- they will likely claim it's "out of stock" or some BS like that. Anyways, you should be cancelling your order and watching your credit card bill. Your credit card company probably has some form of buyer protection which allows you to initiate a "charge bacK" and get your money back (if Royal charged your credit card, which it is not supposed to).

Chris Hurd December 31st, 2003 03:03 PM

Quote:

Surely this has to be a legit business since it was directed from Amazon.com.
Sadly and emphatically, NO. Surely not.

That's why we're partnered with the best dealers in the business: see our DV Info Net Sponsors for the safest and best way to buy gear at realistic, affordable real-world pricing.

Matthew de Jongh December 31st, 2003 05:02 PM

just because they are an amazon associate doesn't mean anything.

i don't believe they do any due diligence to see who the vendor is.

hopefully they do something in response to complaints.

cancel the order in WRITING, get a certified mail thingie to prove you sent it and that it was rec'vd and then call your bank and stop the charge.

you should be able to stop any further charges from that vendor.

then call b&h or (i just noticed your in new england) there is a VERY nice local camera shop in newtonville MA, newtonville camera, very nice people.

they only do prosumer or i would have bought my dvx-100a from them, they don't carry pd-170's, but they do carry vx-2###'s

matthew

Mark Goodsell January 1st, 2004 10:43 AM

They're up (or should I say down) there with Broadway Photo. Several NYC outfits advertize rediculously low prices, then charge customers for accessories that come with anyway. They usually apply a good deal of pressure to buy the accessories. By the time it's all done, the consumer didn't save any money. If ya refuse the accessories, the cams suddenly become "out of stock". Some cams can also be Grey Market products as well. What I find amazing is that reputable DV and photo enthusiast magazines allow them to advertise regularly, despite their well-knows business practices. I know money is money, but...

Mark G

Bill Pryor January 1st, 2004 09:25 PM

As they say, there ain't no free lunch. Nobody can sell a camera for less than it costs to buy it. Manufacturers have a set price they sell their products for. They may give a big dealer like B&H a quantity discount, and if a dealer pays cash up front, they may add another discount. But no matter what, there's not going to be more than 5-10 percent difference between the lowest price legitimate dealer and a major player like B&H. By basic rule of thumb is that if a price is more than around 5% lower than B&H, then I would get very suspicious. Hopefully you have already called your credit card company and told them of the scam.

Nick Kerpchar January 2nd, 2004 09:02 AM

Hey Chris,
How about a new category on this forum that individuals who have been ripped-off by going for the "too good to be true deal" can post their experiences and enlightenment. It could be called, "Dream Acres", or "Petty Crook Junction", or perhaps, "Easy Picking's Trail Stories".

And the responses could be prenumbered to save space. Like, "Too bad Dude." could be Response #1. And, "There's no such thing as Free Lunch." could be Response #2. And, "Better contact your credit card company fast." could be Response #3. Or, "You should have purchased from one of the ethical sponsors of this forum." as Response #4.

And to Hse Kha, I would like to say, #1 through #4.

Nick

Lou Bruno January 2nd, 2004 09:19 AM

Incidents like this should be reported to the New York Attorney Generals office. I often read these stories but very few purchasers ever report these violations of law to the attorney general of the sellers state because of the amount of energey needed to pursue civil and criminal prosecutions if needed.

You CAN NOT sell items included in a box seperate.
This is a scam. You can't make up the loss of profits by gouging on shipping costs. Etc. Etc.

The internet is the best tool to advise and warn the customer about unethical practices.

However, it is human nature that when a buyer observes a cheap price he/she will take the gamble.

This gamble is like playing a slot machine-SOME win-MOST lose!

Chris Hurd January 2nd, 2004 11:52 AM

Nick

It is definitely a frequent topic and we do need to develop a FAQ to cover it. Although I don't believe in adding insult to injury, the sad fact is that people tend to seek out the absolute lowest rock-bottom deals primarily because they feel justified in not wanting to pay the real-world price ("I want it cheeep" is the usual plea). That's how folks get ripped off. It's an education process. Some people have to learn the hard way. The easier way to learn is through comprehending the various horror stories and associated good advice on how to avoid those stories, as they're set forth here on the boards -- and I agree that we need to present that info in a simple, highly visible, easily clarified manner.

Robbie Smolinsky January 2nd, 2004 08:24 PM

Chris,
I think that is a great idea!! I was not aware of these boards back in the day, and I was ripped off for a whole lot of money (that was never recovered) in an Ebay scam. Ever since then I can smell a fraud a mile away. I think there is a lot of info around these boards that is very informative on the matter, but it is somewhat scattered and I think there are a lot of people out there who don't think of this problem ahead opf time and wouldn't think to go looking for info on it. Like, Hse in this case, many probably would not blink an eye if buying from a vendor on Amazon because they are no aware that they could be ripped off. A new section would be a great preventitive measure in helping to educate people on some of the less than customer friendly busniess practices that exist out there. These boards really are the most amazing thing ever, and ithink another area dedicated to this anti-fraud cause makes it just that much better for people new to the scene!! Keep up the GREAT work!!

Robbie

P.S. For those looking for great deals, support these forums and see the sponsors!!!

Nick Kerpchar January 3rd, 2004 06:45 AM

Hse and Chris,
No disrespect intended. I feel there are times when humor sells a point quicker than a lecture or sympathy for a less than sound decision. As much as it hurts, making poor decisions is a part of growing up. However, sharing rip-off experiences would be valuable information for those willing and/or able to learn from other's experiences and that was what I originally intended when I suggested the topic be added to the forum. Thanks for seeing through the intended humor and for including this important topic within the forum.

Nick

John Heskett January 3rd, 2004 08:43 AM

I do not count buying from an Amazon vendor the same as buying from eBay.

Amazon.com don't want scam artist selling through them. Let Amazon know the problem. I have dealt with Amazon before when I had a problem with a vendor and they were very helpful.

And yes, your credit card company should have no problem canceling the charge. If your credit card company has some sort of problem with this, get rid of them and get another credit card company. ANY good credit card company handles these problems everyday and can put a stop pay on any and all charges placed now or in the future from a problem company.

Mike Rehmus January 3rd, 2004 07:58 PM

Chris,

I'd be very careful how I set up any forum dealing with scam artists. To them, anyway they make a buck is OK. You wouldn't want them ripping a bit off your hide along the way. It would only take one incorrect story to give them enough leverage.

I'd suggest a reference document on buying equipment rather than a forum. That way you can control the content and create a body of information in a significantly more compact form.

And a reference document on how to complain and to whom about shady business practices.