DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Taking Care of Business (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/taking-care-business/)
-   -   Filming rights in the UK (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/taking-care-business/197310-filming-rights-uk.html)

Oliver Neubert January 22nd, 2010 05:34 AM

Well in a certain way, I understand that the police have to act if someone "reports" something. And I also understand that it might be protocol that a written report is issued and a copy given to the questionned individual. But how far it gets taken and whether "no further action" is the correct conclusion - I don't know.

The problem I see is that people, general public, are paranoid and scared. The media is really not helping with constant reports of all the evil in the world. Worries me where all this will end up. It seems similar to the time where in Germany the statement: "I think my neighbour is harboring Jews" could cause tons of problems.
Which may have not been an issue in the UK but parallels to today's issues are frightening...

Christopher Young January 22nd, 2010 07:35 AM

Filming rights in the UK

1 Attachment(s)
Having just spent a three weeks over in the UK filming, mainly in London, we had very little problem with either the police or CSOs... as long as we had our documentation and shooting permits with us. Be prepared and when you get pulled up, and if you are using full sized kit as we were you most likely will get pulled up, happened to us numerous times us. You will have the paperwork to cover your reasons for being there. If you have any queries the London Metropolitan Police Film Unit is a good place to enquire as to your filming rights. We found them very helpful.

Metropolitan Police Service - Film Unit

Additionally if you carry the following document regarding media rights, issued by the police's own 'Association of Chief Police Officers', see the attachment, it's a big help in smoothing out any police queries. It clearly outlines your rights to film in public places to any police or CSO officers who aren't up to speed on the media rights in the UK. A couple of times this put over zealous officers back in their box.

By way of contrast we were filming in Berlin a week later and filmed where and when we liked and other than a glance and a nod with the officers we were left totally undisturbed to shoot as we wished.

Oliver Neubert January 22nd, 2010 08:13 AM

excellent - might be helpful in other places in the UK as well. - thank you very much

Nick Gordon January 23rd, 2010 04:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Oliver Neubert (Post 1475648)
Well in a certain way, I understand that the police have to act if someone "reports" something. And I also understand that it might be protocol that a written report is issued and a copy given to the questionned individual. But how far it gets taken and whether "no further action" is the correct conclusion - I don't know.

The problem I see is that people, general public, are paranoid and scared. The media is really not helping with constant reports of all the evil in the world. Worries me where all this will end up. It seems similar to the time where in Germany the statement: "I think my neighbour is harboring Jews" could cause tons of problems.
Which may have not been an issue in the UK but parallels to today's issues are frightening...

It's tough to define suspicious or threatening activity, mistakes will be made, and we should respect that. No-one gets it right all the time.

But that doesn't negate the need for some common sense. What we want the police to do is protect 'us' rom 'them', not assume that we're all 'them'

Andrew Smith January 23rd, 2010 04:13 AM

Terrorists I can handle. What truly scares me is an attack of the stupids.

Andrew

Nigel Barker January 23rd, 2010 04:43 AM

Last week the European Court ruled that Police powers to use terror laws to stop and search people without grounds for suspicion are illegal. Not just for photographers but for anyone BBC News - Stop-and-search powers ruled illegal by European court

It probably won't be a good idea to quote this ruling when arguing the toss with a policeman or CSO at present as the UK Government is appealing against the ruling & Chief Constable Craig Mackey of the Association of Chief Police Officers said officers would continue to use stop and search powers while the appeal was pending.

There is a demonstration of professional and amateur photographers in Trafalgar Square, London today 23rd January to protest this issue. BBC News - Photographers protest over UK terror search laws

Andy Wilkinson January 23rd, 2010 03:27 PM

And here's Sky News coverage of that event in Trafalgar Square - with short video report as well, which would indicate that their cameraman was not stopped/prevented from doing his job by the police today! It might have caused a riot if he was! :-)

Photographers Hold Protest In Trafalgar Square Over Stop And Search Action | UK News | Sky News

Nigel Barker January 24th, 2010 02:51 AM

The report on BBC Radio said that there were 3000 photographers demonstrating in Trafalgar Square.

That hotbed of activism Amateur Photographer magazine has a report with photos In pictures: Photographers turn out in force to fight anti terror law abuse (update 6.15pm) news - Amateur Photographer - news, camera reviews, lens reviews, camera equipment guides, photography courses, competitions, photography forums

At the bottom of this page AP also has a large collection of other stories of police abuse of their powers Photographers to storm Trafalgar Square in protest over terror laws news - Amateur Photographer - news, camera reviews, lens reviews, camera equipment guides, photography courses, competitions, photography forums I particularly liked the item about the ITN film crew who were shooting a piece on a guy photographing Wren churches who had previously fallen foul of a police stop & search who were themselves stopped by police in the City & told that filming was not allowed.

Jim Andrada January 25th, 2010 12:47 AM

And here's a CNN article

Photographers protest UK terror law - CNN.com

Nick Gordon January 26th, 2010 09:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nigel Barker (Post 1476428)
I particularly liked the item about the ITN film crew who were shooting a piece on a guy photographing Wren churches who had previously fallen foul of a police stop & search who were themselves stopped by police in the City & told that filming was not allowed.

You realise, don't you, that telling people that the police have stopped someone interviewing someone who was stopped for taking pictures is probably a contravention of the aforementioned legislation. I'm not naming the legislation, because that in itself is possibly a breach, in that it's telling terrorists that we have legislation that may or may not be concerned with their actions, or intentions.

Ray Barber January 26th, 2010 01:50 PM

It gets more silly

Presenters quizzed over hairdryers - Yahoo! News UK

Andrew Smith January 26th, 2010 08:49 PM

Quote:

"I said 'And please put spangly blue hairdryer' and he was, like, 'All right'."
Hilarious. If this was in Australia, it would just about set off a new national sport!

Andrew

Andy Wilkinson January 27th, 2010 08:04 AM

Of course, if it's raining you could use one of these on your camera as you take your pictures/video in public here in the UK. Guess what, you'll be in a nice warm, dry police station in no time!!!!

Hydrophobia rain cover promises to keep your DSLR dry, mysterious -- Engadget

Sorry, couldn't resist it! ;-)

Oliver Neubert January 31st, 2010 03:58 AM

haha - even on the engadget site there is a discussion about getting arrested for using this thing...

Colin McDonald February 14th, 2010 08:11 AM

Slight prob when filming in a railway station

Arriving at Newcastle yesterday I was asked to stop filming the EastCoast (rebadged National Express) train I had just got off as it departed on its way to Kings Cross. The station employee did however encourage me to report to the Duty Manager to obtain a permit to continue filming. I did this was was told of the restrictions (no flash photography, no tripods, stay in designated publicly accessible areas). Armed with my pass, I was not challenged further when I returned in the afternoon to do a bit of filming and catch the train back.

It was not clear how I was expected to go back through the ticket barrier to return the permit to the office after filming my train arriving - I rather doubt it would have waited for me. So maybe I'll get an permit in advance the next time I'm filming at an unfamiliar station. I had forgotten that not all stations are run by Network Rail who are quite welcoming to anoraks like me - they have a page for railway nutters Network Rail - Railway Enthusiasts with helpful advice for avoiding problems.
Quote:

Network Rail welcomes rail enthusiasts to our stations....
(SNIP)
Extra Eyes and Ears
If you see anything suspicious or notice any unusual behaviour or activities, please tell a member of staff immediately.

For emergencies and serious incidents, either call:

The British Transport Police on 0800 40 50 40
The Police on 999.
Your presence at a station can be very helpful to us as extra "eyes and ears" and can have a positive security benefit.

Photography
You can take photographs at stations provided you do not sell them. However, you are not allowed to take photographs of security related equipment, such as CCTV cameras.

Flash photography on platforms is not allowed at any time. It can distract train drivers & train despatch staff and so is potentially very dangerous.

Tripod legs must be kept away from platform edges and behind the yellow lines. On busy stations, you may not be allowed to use a tripod because it could be a dangerous obstruction to passengers.