DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Taking Care of Business (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/taking-care-business/)
-   -   expandore.com or bhphotovideo.com? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/taking-care-business/23034-expandore-com-bhphotovideo-com.html)

Andrew Kiu March 16th, 2004 06:22 PM

expandore.com or bhphotovideo.com?

Does any one have experience buying or ordering goods like battery, Camcorder...etc from;

http://www.expandore.com/ or
http://www.bhphotovideo.com

or you guys have better recommend site...
Please give me advice...Thx

Frank Granovski March 16th, 2004 06:28 PM

B&H.

Saturnin Van March 16th, 2004 06:42 PM

b&H

b&h....
..i think someone already asked about this in one of the other forums...

you can try other online merchants wif lower prices but in the end you'll end up payin' the same $$ ......they'll try to upsell and charge ya 6% + on overall purchase for shipping the item......some dont even sell u the item unless u buy the acessories......

Andrew Kiu March 16th, 2004 06:54 PM

Why B&H?

Any experience with unpleasant or unsatisfied services buying online? Are they really realible in term of Credit payment, Shipping and pricing? Coz I planning to order some expensive Stuff either from B&H or Expandore.com.

How about local taxes, Duties, VAT? those are extra cost to me...

Thanks Saturnin & Frank

Glenn Chan March 16th, 2004 07:15 PM

Check out the dvinfo.net sponsors page (navigate there from the main page). Basically, B&H is probably your best bet. If other dealers are significantly cheaper it's because they're shady so read up on resellerratings.com. Which brings you back to B&H.

Quote:

You should really research that. Remember to stay away from UPS, their brokerage fees are ridiculous. United States Postal Service should be ok.

Federico Dib March 16th, 2004 07:50 PM

Re: Why B&H?

<<<-- Originally posted by Andrew Kiu : Any experience with unpleasant or unsatisfied services buying online? Are they really realible in term of Credit payment, Shipping and pricing? Coz I planning to order some expensive Stuff either from B&H or Expandore.com.

Thanks Saturnin & Frank -->>>

Iīve bought from B&H, Iīm in Spain, and theyīve been very helpfull and fast, and Iīll say the word that describes them the best is EFFICIENT.
The shipping prices were about the same as any other...

Local taxes and that, will depend on where you are...
UPS (which is what B&H uses) around here they allways declare to customs... and Audio and Video Equipment from outside of Europe is mandatory to pay 16% taxes... So I allways add a 16% of the total.

With all that, I got what I needed cheaper than buying it from for example London and even the few places that have it here in Spain.

About the credit, they required me to send a copy of my credit card - both sides.. I know itīs for my own safety and all... and that probably means that they check and process every sale like if you were actually there. Which is probably a good thing.. allthough the time difference could delay the process a day. Or more if you are not carefull with the holidays calendar (it happened to me)..

Federico Dib March 16th, 2004 07:56 PM

<<<-- Originally posted by Glenn Chan

You should really research that. Remember to stay away from UPS, their brokerage fees are ridiculous. United States Postal Service should be ok. -->>>

B&H doesnīt use US Postal Service for Spain at least... Only UPS..
Thatīs what they have told me...

Robert Knecht Schmidt March 16th, 2004 08:37 PM

The US Postal Service only goes so far!

Andrew Kiu March 16th, 2004 08:50 PM

Does anyone know how they charge local taxes for electrical goods in Malaysia? How to check my local taxes? Are they listing in my order form? Or they charge me when the goods arrive? i very new in online ordering…

please help. THX a lot guys

Federico Dib March 17th, 2004 05:45 AM

Iīm afraid I donīt know much about Malaysia, so sorry...
But I donīt think taxes will be listed in your order form.

Around here, UPS calls you a day before delivering the package and tell you that there is a Custom TAX of (whatever)... so you be ready to pay the delivery guy at your door.

One time they just came without calling.. I didnīt have money to pay the taxes so they scheduled another delivery day that week with me to be ready.

My guess will be to call a local UPS office or other Courier company and ask them...

Robert: US Postal might not bring mail here.. but they sure come with itīs team to all the Bicycle tours..

Frank Granovski March 17th, 2004 05:53 AM

Malaysia? Andrew, check with your country's post office or with the government department that deals with taxes/duties. You'll only be charged when the package arrives, but maybe you won't pay nothing. So check first.

Which cam do you want to purchase? Wouldn't a cam be cheaper from Hong Kong?

Andrew Kiu March 17th, 2004 06:23 PM

I planning to get Anton Bauer Batteries Hytron 120 , Gold mount and Ultralight 2 for my XL-1s. I wonder if i order in Hong kong Will it be locally produce like "Made in Hong Kong"??? or maybe there order from HQ also????

Frank Granovski March 17th, 2004 06:37 PM

Malaysia, is PAL, I think. So make sure you get the PAL cam XL1s.

Made in Hong Kong XL1s's? Naaa. They're just sold there.

What's HQ?

Sean Smith March 18th, 2004 08:09 AM

Of the 2, I have only had experience with B+H. I have spent a lot of cash with these guys and have only had 1 problem arise, which they quickly repaired. They have great customer service and I use them as the benchmark when determining other gear outlets.

Joe Lloyd March 20th, 2004 02:23 AM

Have used both, both are very good. I found Expandore better for the cameras themselves and faster, but I am located in NZ