DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Taking Care of Business (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/taking-care-business/)
-   -   Putting together a package for investors/sponsors? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/taking-care-business/234260-putting-together-package-investors-sponsors.html)

Jacques E. Bouchard April 29th, 2009 12:48 AM

Putting together a package for investors/sponsors?

I'm preparing a short film with an excellent script, which got a bankable name actor on board. Using those two strengths, I now want to put together a package to present potential investors and sponsors, and would like ideas as to what to include and the format to use. I'll be approaching businesses, not individuals, asking for money, merchandise and/or services.

Can anyone point me to models I can use for inspiration?

Tripp Woelfel April 29th, 2009 07:00 AM

I don't have any examples and I've never pitched an investment in a film, but after nearly 40 years in all sort of business what I would require a standard business plan including ROI. That's the part where you convince your potential investors that they're going to make money on this deal.

There are many information sources for business plan development from university texts all the way to a business plan book from the "For Dummies" series. However, a comprehensive business plan is critical to the success of any money making venture. If you don't feel comfortable doing it yourself, hire someone. It will be money well spent. Even if you do it yourself, find an experienced friend to review it for you. Remember, if you're not brutally honest about the data you feed it, you will get rubbish as a result.

It's hard work, but I find it kinda fun. It's like a puzzle that you have to assemble. When you're done and the plan says you can make money you can go forward with real verification that you can succeed in your venture. I use business plans to sanity check plans for me first, then as a tool to pitch investors.

Jacques E. Bouchard April 29th, 2009 09:14 AM

Sorry, it was very late when I posted this and my brain was a bit frazzled. I shouldn't say "investors". This being a short film, I'm not expecting it to make money. I've approached two government agencies for funding (they fund projects that are not commercially viable), and I may contact a few broadcasters and distributors for advances - although, again, this being an "artsy" short, it's not likely to make pre-sales except for the bankable actor involved.

What I'm really looking for is gap financing: money that'll plug holes if I don't get the full amount that I asked in exchange for product placement, credit, etc. Also, materials for building the set, props, clothes and such.

I'll be careful to stay away from the word "investment" in the proposal.

So far I have the sections broken down as such:

Synopsis & presentation;
Actor headshot & resume;
project info (including budget summary, shooting schedule);
proposal for sponsorship;
cast & crew bios;
prodco background;
annex (script, detailed budget, detailed shooting schedule, the stuff non-industry people don't always read in details).