DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Taking Care of Business (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/taking-care-business/)
-   -   Attire (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/taking-care-business/2461-attire.html)

Mr.Cisco June 21st, 2002 05:39 AM

Attire

Hi all,

Quick question for you. I'm doing my 1st wedding tomorrrow which will be outdoor (reception too) in the blazing sun with 90F+ heat. What do you think is appropriate to wear while I do this? If I wear a suit I may burst into flames.

Opinions?

Peter Lock June 21st, 2002 06:34 AM

I'd wear a smart pair of White strides with a White shirt and if your hair grows faster out of your nose than on on your head like mine I'd wear a hat.

K. Forman June 21st, 2002 06:47 AM

If you plan on doing this for a living, Tux shirt and vest, ( And pants!), preferably a cooler color. It will catch peoples attention, and in a good way. If this is just a hobby or for a friend, whatever is acceptable.
Keith

Bill Ravens June 21st, 2002 08:14 AM

If your wedding is in the East...formal attire is the order of the day.
If your wedding is in the West....dress nicely, but, casually comfortable.

Chris Hurd June 21st, 2002 10:03 AM

Bill's answer sums it up nicely... it really depends on where you are and who your customers are. You would not want to be the only tux at an informal wedding.

When I used to do weddings here in Texas in the summertime, I wore a nice pair of shoes, khaki slacks, a white button-down collared long-sleeve shirt and tie. The tie came off right after the ceremony and remained off for the reception.

Outdoors? Check with your customers and find out what everyone else will be wearing. You could probably skip the tie and roll your sleeves up, or wear a short-sleeve shirt.

Bring, and drink, plenty of water. Bring several liters of water with you. This will go a long way toward keeping you cool. Go ahead and get a water bottle holster you can clip on your belt so you can have it with you at all times. Don't worry about looking like a dork, you're working.

I always have a handkerchief or something similar to wipe away sweat, and get a chamois for your viewfinder eyecup (see Top Five XL1 Accessories article on the Watchdog). Hope this helps,

Keith Loh June 21st, 2002 11:03 AM

All the wedding photographers I've ever seen wear sports jackets, pants, shirt and a tie. Maybe it's just Vancouver but they just dress like well groomed guests. The women wear simple dresses. I think wearing a tux is overboard; you may be mistaken for a member of the wedding party.

Bring business cards but don't push them on anyone. If people are looking they will ask.

Bryan Beasleigh June 21st, 2002 01:26 PM

I like the idea of the Librace shirt with a winged collar, a bow tie and a vest. It looks very professional although you maybe mistaken for the bartender.

Keith Loh June 21st, 2002 01:41 PM

And then if you attend one of those naked weddings you'll have to figure out how to work without pockets.

K. Forman June 21st, 2002 03:46 PM

The idea of the tux shirt and vest is to stand out, and look classy. Tails would be a bit much. Sure, you will stand out, but it would be worse to be too casual. It will also set you aside from the casual guest with a camera, so that there is no mistake you are there to work. Just don't get too flashy.

You can usually buy tuxs fairly cheap from the same place the groom and best man got theirs. $10-$15 for the shirt, same goes for the pants and vest. Then go the extra step and have your company tastefully embroidered on the vest, and have plenty of cards in your pocket.

And while you are at the tux shop, leave cards and pamphlets for upcoming grooms to read while they are getting fitted.
Keith

Peter Higginbottom June 22nd, 2002 06:14 PM

if I worried about looking like a "dork" I`d never go anywhere..!

as bart simpson would say "dorkus malorkus"