DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Taking Care of Business (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/taking-care-business/)
-   -   new job salary advice (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/taking-care-business/27941-new-job-salary-advice.html)

Nicholi Brossia June 22nd, 2004 09:45 PM

new job salary advice

I'm located in Oklahoma City and am in the interview "pool" for a new job. The employer is a company that teaches training classes and recently bought lots of really nice equipment to record those classes for internet and dvd distribution, as well as video conferencing, archiving, and editing duties. Basically, it is a full-time, control-room operated, live-switched production. Right now, they don't have anyone with direct experience in this area. I have a degree and about 5 years of experience with very similar productions as well as many other very related areas.

The almighty question has already been asked... How much do I expect to be paid?
At this point, I have very little reference to the money aspect and welcome any advice. If you can help, I'd appreciate it.

Christopher C. Murphy June 23rd, 2004 08:01 AM

Call outside of your area and talk with people in similar (if not exact same) posititions. You can tell the employer that you talked with others that are doing the exact same thing...and you were told ($).

It's easier to blame it on their peers than to try and justify a rate for yourself. Also, I would add that it's totally acceptable to say "My expenses require that I work for no less than ($)". He can't argue with what you need. Those two things should make it easy for you. Oh, rule of thumb...ask for a little bit more because you do have a degree and do have experience. You're "in the know" about the others not having the same experience.

One last thing, I'd say you are flexable after you tell him what you are looking for. You never know...they might be able to give you great benefits, but not great pay. (benefits are cash really)

Murph

Ken Tanaka June 23rd, 2004 10:41 AM

One matter to be mindful of as you consider this position is this: You are not the talent of the business. I do not mean that you are not talented, Nicholi! I mean that your abilities are probably not what this business is attempting to sell. Employees in every business fall into two categories: the "talent" and the "help".

My point is that you may want to research what the company pays its instructors and on what basis they're paid (ex: full-time, part-time, per class, hourly?). They are likely the "talent" of the company and will be at the pinnacle of the company's pay scale (with the exception of the business' owners).

Nicholi Brossia June 23rd, 2004 11:36 PM

Thanks guys, those are both very good points. After a couple phone calls, I have a good idea of the going rate for a similar job situation. However, I haven't the slightest idea how the company pays its existing employees. I occasionally run camera for different companies in the area - which falls under the "help" category - that pay $10-15 per hour. I was hoping this would be a good place to start before taking into account possible benefits, full-time hours, and other flexible areas like that.

Both fortunately and unfortunately, the company has recently created this new position and has no solid basis for what/who to expect... neither do I. I'm actually meeting with them again tomorrow morning to get a more hands-on approach to what's going on. That way, they will get a feel for what I can do and how I can help. We'll see how that goes.

Thank you both for the help. If you have any other ideas, I'd love to hear them.

Ken Tanaka June 23rd, 2004 11:48 PM

I have only one more item as you prepare for your meeting. Set money out of your mind throughout as much of the meeting as possible. Focus on the participants, their goals, and the personal dynamics between them. If money is buzzing in your head you will certainly miss some of the most important observations. Coming into their native environment, they will be most at-ease and will likely be focusing on your style, deciding on if you would be a good fit for their "team", etc. Ideally, by the conclusion of the meeting they should feel as though you're already on the "team" after a thought-provoking discussion of -their- business.

If they're diligent they will have already determined what they believe to be a reasonable rate of compensation for you.

Good luck!