DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Taking Care of Business (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/taking-care-business/)
-   -   Anyone use this outfit... (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/taking-care-business/29246-anyone-use-outfit.html)

Vince Debart July 19th, 2004 08:03 AM

Anyone use this outfit...

Anyone bought equipment from this website

http://www.expresscameras.com/cart/welcome.asp

Thanks

Vince

Patrick King July 19th, 2004 08:13 AM

Almost seems too good to be true. Offering an 'new with full USA warranty' XL1s for $2299 seems 'too good'.

But it does make the $2650 used XL1s I was looking at appear overpriced. Even if they gouged me with one of their high mark-up useless gear add-ons, it would still be cheaper and with warranty.

But the question remains, will they actually ship new equipment and is it USA warranty.

Vince Debart July 19th, 2004 08:21 AM

I was thinking ...they told me the sony pdx10 was in stock and with US warranty. I did get a gray market sony pd 150 with a US warranty card.. 1.5 years later not a hitch seams like you have some trouble after the warr.runs out anyway

Vince ??

Robert Kirkpatrick July 19th, 2004 08:42 AM

You probably know this already, but just in case: always check out resellerratings.com. Here's the direct link to the reviews about this outfit: Express Camera Reseller reviews. Not very good.

Vince Debart July 19th, 2004 11:42 AM

thanks Robert

Vince

just pay the B&H price I guess..have had very good luck with them in the past

Stevan Arychuk July 19th, 2004 04:59 PM

Greetings,

I was going to post the reseller ratings link but Robert beat me to it. If I can save anyone else the pain of getting ripped off by one of these guys it's worth the post.

I'm in NYC and all these slimy bait and switch dealers in Brooklyn (usually) run the websites your mom warned you about. They advertise low prices for grey market gear, then ask you to "call and confirm" your order once it's placed. They then try hard sales tactics to push over priced accessories, and if you refuse your item will be on "back order" for weeks (read: forever). If you do happen to get your item it will often be from Japan or another grey market, possibly refurbished and with no US warranty.

I don't know why all these places are in NYC, there must be some state loophole for these retailers because they don't exist in any other state.

ExpressCameras is also known as "Save-Here.com" and I believe "Royal Cameras" which have equally as poor reviews on ResellerRatings. The few good reviews posted there are often by employees and friends of the company.

As another user stated in this thread - "Looks to good to be true".. You know the rest.

All the sponsors of this board are legit and I've found the best prices to be from Norman Camera and Zotz (B&H charges me tax so they are sort of a no option on large purchases but they are competitive).

- Stevan

Law Tyler July 19th, 2004 11:06 PM

Yeah, bought something from one of these guys long time ago, took more than three months to deliver it. No warning, no option to cancel.

Joe Atkinson July 30th, 2007 04:54 PM

ExpressCameras is located in edison, nj. i bought a sony hvr-a1u from them last year. it was a us model with the 4 yr mack extended warranty. now, i'll agree they did try their hardest to get me to buy extra crap, but i was insistent and kept saying all i wanted was the camera. i also had it overnight shiped. i also received the $500 rebate from sony, which was the promotion at the time. i was happy with the transaction. i live in va.

on another note. if you buy something from them (or anyone else for that matter) with your visa, and the product turns out to not be what was advertised doesn't visa refund your money and open an investigation against them? not sure.

Joe Atkinson July 30th, 2007 05:05 PM

there are a lot of negative reviews for them on that resellers site. I'm glad I was one of the lucky ones that didn't get ripped off.

Guess I wouldn't be buying anything from them in the future.