DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Taking Care of Business (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/taking-care-business/)
-   -   Question: How can the NEWS go around shooting stuff and talking to people and... (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/taking-care-business/41778-question-how-can-news-go-around-shooting-stuff-talking-people.html)

Michael Salzlechner March 26th, 2005 10:10 AM

<<<-- Originally posted by Brent Marks : How do all these news tabloid tv shows like e-t, extra, etc.... all exist???

Selling their paper, advertisements, classifieds, ...

---

oops in case of TV it is pretty much advertisement of course and i guess cable and satellite providers have to pony up too

Brent Marks March 26th, 2005 10:59 AM

No... I mean... they can't get releases for all that they do... How can they legally exist without those?

B

Rhett Allen March 26th, 2005 03:37 PM

Notice that they cover BIG stars and are usually in public places. BIG stars are newsworthy. Local bands, less so.
That, combined with DEEEEEEEP pockets to pay attorneys! (they probably have more attorneys than you or I have underwear)

Marco Leavitt March 26th, 2005 06:34 PM

I have no personal knowledge of the inner workings of Entertainment Tonight, but it seems fairly clear that show and all of its imitators air carefully coordinated, and possibly paid for, promotional material. The're basically extra long commercials with a little gossip thrown in.

Michel Brewer March 27th, 2005 02:26 AM

news / audio

Seeing the earlier comments regarding audio I just had to chime in....last week a atty, at the trial Im covering was outside shouting on his cellphone. It was outside of the courthouse and within view of the press covering this story, a very sharp soundtech from CourtTV pointed his shotgun that way and got some great stuff.

It aired as a big story on their network and was covered in the print press as well, it was perfectly ok for the CourtTV audio tech to get that sound it was on a public property and we( the press) were there he ( the atty) was stupid enough to vent where a mic could get the sound.

As for whether or not you qualify as legit. press well there is every one of the ent. press at this trial for the most part they are just as good/legit if not as good or better than everyone else. In addition some websites have reporting staff there...its worth noting some of the reporting staff for these said websites are also officers in fanclubs for the defendent in the case. In addition "the daily show" got a press pass which granted them entrance into the press only area so it makes one think the lines can get blurred, my advice for you. You should apply for a press pass from some govt. agency. whether it be police, courts, govt boards etc. Once you have this approval it should grant you some leeway on being newsy.

However if you steal footage without paying for it, or defame someone they can come after you. if you use good judgement you should be fine. Best of luck on your show.

M