DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Taking Care of Business (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/taking-care-business/)
-   -   Another Name My Company Thread (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/taking-care-business/466002-another-name-my-company-thread.html)

Mike Watkins October 18th, 2009 08:32 PM

Another Name My Company Thread

I'm at the point where I'm beginning to get some paying clients and would like to step up the marketing and advertising of my company. THe dilemma is that I'm not too happy with the name I threw together for my company and website..W5 Digital.

I've tossed around a few names(most of the catchy ones are taken).

I primarily offer: photo and video services, and also have a recording studio(music). I have recently jumped into some web design and would like to do this more in the future.

I'm tempted to go with Mike Watkins Studios, but don't know if it has that zing...Also it sounds one-mannish to me, which isn't particularly what I want to project. Not to mention it would be a long domain name and email address.

The other best name I've come up with leans more strongly to the video and photo side of things and to me sounds more modern. Company Name : Aperturic Productions.. Domain: aperturic.com.

Spelling could be an issue with the latter, but I feel like it has more potential.

I would love to hear your thoughts and suggestions, as I would like t have the name and new website up and going asap.

Thanks in advance.

Mike Watkins

Michael Wisniewski October 18th, 2009 08:46 PM

Not a big fan of Aperturic ... but I like Watkins Studios, or something like that: Watkins Productions, Watkins Creative, Watkins Media, etc, just forget the "Mike" part and save it for the email address.

Jeff Emery October 18th, 2009 09:05 PM

Are you a company or a one man operation?

Nothing wrong with either. And there is nothing wrong with using your name. It works for Paul Mitchell, Calvin Klein, and more. So many people try to disguise themselves as a big company by using a "big company" sounding name. Are your services provided by several individuals in your company or are you the one that makes things happen?

If you are the guy that makes it all work then there's nothing wrong with putting your name on the label.

And some food for thought just as a side note. How truly creative can one be if that one can't even come up with a company name.

GrilledCheeseSandwichProductions.Com is available. It's unique, easy to remember and spell, and oh so delicious.

Jeff

Tripp Woelfel October 18th, 2009 09:09 PM

Not trying to pour more rain on your party, but I'm not a fan of your proposed name. How can anyone find you if they cannot spell your name? Sounds cool though.

I'm in northern New England so Covered Bridge Productions was a natural. I've had several people specifically say that they like the name and logo. Also, no one would be able to spell my last name unless they were born in Germany. Only about three Americans can pronounce it correctly. The other good thing about the name is that it doesn't limit us to video. Remember, a company name doesn't have to describe what you do, or even be a real word. Look up the "empty vessel" naming approach.

Mike Watkins October 18th, 2009 09:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Michael Wisniewski (Post 1434372)
Not a big fan of Aperturic ... but I like Watkins Studios, or something like that: Watkins Productions, Watkins Creative, Watkins Media, etc, just forget the "Mike" part and save it for the email address.

Thanks Michael,

I wouldn't have thought that the Watkins name would be so used in the creative arts arena, but it is. I plugged the "Mike" on the front to be able to get a clear domain name. I would prefer to be a .com vs .net etc..

Thanks,

Mike Watkins

Mike Watkins October 18th, 2009 09:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jeff Emery (Post 1434385)
Are you a company or a one man operation?

And some food for thought just as a side note. How truly creative can one be if that one can't even come up with a company name.

GrilledCheeseSandwichProductions.Com is available. It's unique, easy to remember and spell, and oh so delicious.

Jeff

Jeff,

Currently I'm operating as a one man operation...

As far as creativity is concerned, I can come up with some ridiculous company names, but finding ones that are to be taken more serious, that aren't already in use, is a bit different story.

Perhaps a whimsical name would be easier to market....but I wonder if my local market would take it seriously? I'm also trying to keep a neutral name so that I can umbrella a few different services under it.

Thanks for the suggestion: If I ever specialize in how to videos for the sandwich industry I'm so using your suggestion.

Mike W.

Aaron Fowler October 19th, 2009 01:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tripp Woelfel (Post 1434386)
Only about three Americans can pronounce it correctly.

Three that you know of? Or in the entire country? :P

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mike Watkins (Post 1434401)
I wouldn't have thought that the Watkins name would be so used in the creative arts arena, but it is. I plugged the "Mike" on the front to be able to get a clear domain name. I would prefer to be a .com vs .net etc..

It seems your surname is very common... My first thought was MW Studios but that is taken like all the others. Do you have a middle name? If so you might want to use an acronym of your name, M[insert middle initial]W Studios. It's represents you but doesn't have that one-man-band feel to it.

And you should make sure you get a dot com. Let's face it, some people don't listen. If you tell them to go to GrilledCheeseSandwichProductions.net they'll still go to GrilledCheeseSandwichProductions.com! And you don't want your potential clients ending up on someone elses site. If you want to go the extra step you should get the dot com AND the dot net to make sure no one leaches off your brilliant business name in the future.

Chris Davis October 19th, 2009 07:18 AM

I went over and over this myself about four years ago. I've determined that there are a few "truths" when naming your company:

1. Most people will assume your website is "name.com" So forget .net, .us, dot-whatever-else.

2. Make your name easy to spell, don't get cute. "XtraTyme" may look cool to you, but just think of how many times you'll have to say "That's 'Extra' without the 'E' and 'Time' spelled with a 'Y'..."

3. Don't try to sound like something you're not. If you're a one-man outfit, don't pick a name like "Amalgamated Video Partners Corporation". Don't say things on your website like "our customer service staff is standing by..." People can tell when you're being disingenuous and it makes them wonder in what other areas will you be stretching the truth.

4. Every name has been taken. Every. Single. One. Sure, don't pick a name that already has a presence in your community, or even state, but don't fret if the name you like is being used 1,000 miles away. (Unless of course there is a legitimate concern this will cause confusion among your clients or they have a nationwide trademark registration for the name, which at this level of business is highly unlikely.)

5. In the end, nobody really cares but you. Sure, don't name yourself "We Suck Productions", but people are hiring you to do the job, not because they thought "MW Productions" sounded better than "Mike Watkins Video".

BTW, I just registered "aperturic.com" and will sell it to you for $5,000.

Mike Watkins October 19th, 2009 08:04 PM

Good points, Chris. I think they are some good go-bys.

As to point three, I tend to lean towards marketing one's self as they want to be seen, not necessarily as they see themselves. Not be untruthful, but use simple tactics like "yes WE can do that" vs. "yes I can do that". I want to project myself/company as more established and as a company vs. "this guy I know." I believe the people that know me won't care about the name either. It's the people that don't know me that I want to have their interest peaked, with an interesting name.

Aaron,

I agree that the .com is the way to go. My middle name is Mike, plus I'm kinda out on the acronym theme. Seems too related to the W5 Digital.

Thanks,

Mike Watkins

Mike Watkins October 19th, 2009 08:15 PM

2 more ideas...

Looking now at:

1. This Way Productions...

2. Right Here Studios...

Slogan for each would be: "The solution for all of your production needs is Right Here/ This Way", or something similar.

I think these are the 2 finalist for the name...Give me a vote for #1 or #2 if you don't mind.

Thanks a lot for the input. I really appreciate it.

Mike Watkins

Aaron Fowler October 19th, 2009 09:17 PM

If those are the only 2 options then I'll have to go with Door #2 (but only just).

I like the idea of "studio" if you're going to be working with music. I think Right Here Studios also works better with your proposed slogan.

However I do like the sound of This Way Productions better and I think that thiswayproductions.com is easier to read than rightherestudios.com.

Mike Watkins October 20th, 2009 09:59 AM

Did it.

Well, I finally bit the bullet and went with: Shadow Catcher Studios.

I'll be working on the site design and let you guys know when it's up.

Thanks for all of the input and help!

Mike Watkins

Chris Davis October 20th, 2009 12:17 PM

Now what am I going to do with "aperturic.com"? :)

Mike Watkins October 20th, 2009 04:06 PM

Maybe you could lower the price? 8-)

Aaron Fowler October 20th, 2009 07:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mike Watkins (Post 1435230)
Well, I finally bit the bullet and went with: Shadow Catcher Studios.

I like it!

I hope your camera is good in low light. ;-)