DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Taking Care of Business (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/taking-care-business/)
-   -   Old OEM Software (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/taking-care-business/47164-old-oem-software.html)

Jim Treganza July 3rd, 2005 06:15 PM

Old OEM Software

I need to upgrade my Canopus Storm2 system from Premiere 6.0 to 6.5 and I'm having a hard time finding the software. I've been told not to try using Premiere Pro with Storm2.

Does anybody know anything about those companies who sell cheap OEM, CD-only versions of out-of-date software, like Premiere 6.5 and even Audition 1.5? I've looked at Super Buy Software and BuysUSA who sell these applications for $99 and $49, respectively.

Is this legal? Are these companies reputable? They say you don't get to register or get the initial technical support period, but claim that the serial number they give you allows you to upgrade. What's the catch?

Anybody have any knowledge about this?

George Odell July 5th, 2005 07:48 AM

There is something called the First Sale Doctrine that some of these companies claim allows them to sell OEM software legally.

It has to do with copyright and implies that if you purchase a legal copy from the copyright owner (the software creator... in this case, Adobe) then you have the right to sell that single "original" copy to someone else, if you wish.

There was a case involving Adobe and a company (Softman) selling what was purchased originally as bundled software as individual titles you can look into... (you will need to copy and paste this ulr)

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SoftMan_Products_Co._v._Adobe_Systems_Inc.

It's the same with selling a book you buy to someone else. That is completely legal as long as it is your book and not one you "copied" from someone else.

To the best of my knowledge Adobe will honor this for upgrade purposes but not offer free tech support.

Now, if they do not offer the original sealed software WITH the specific original registration # for that one copy then it IS NOT legal and I'd stay away.

Steve House July 7th, 2005 01:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jim Treganza
I need to upgrade my Canopus Storm2 system from Premiere 6.0 to 6.5 and I'm having a hard time finding the software. I've been told not to try using Premiere Pro with Storm2.

Does anybody know anything about those companies who sell cheap OEM, CD-only versions of out-of-date software, like Premiere 6.5 and even Audition 1.5? I've looked at Super Buy Software and BuysUSA who sell these applications for $99 and $49, respectively.

Is this legal? Are these companies reputable? They say you don't get to register or get the initial technical support period, but claim that the serial number they give you allows you to upgrade. What's the catch?

Anybody have any knowledge about this?

IANAL so take what I say for what it's worth, just my opinion, but I wouldn't touch these company's products with a 10 foot pole or even an 11 foot mic boom. <g> Many of them say they are selling copies alleging they're for the purpose of providing you a "backup" for software you already own, I guess presumably because you don't have to ability to make your own backup copy of the distribution disk. IMHO they're just a very thinly disguised piracy operation.