DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Taking Care of Business (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/taking-care-business/)
-   -   You never know who's looking... (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/taking-care-business/472236-you-never-know-whos-looking.html)

Mick Haensler February 4th, 2010 07:26 AM

You never know who's looking...

In this day and age when it's so easy to find things out about a person or company you may want to do business with, it is imperative that everything we do smacks of professionalism. This includes postings and threads in forums. If you can't proofread the title of your thread for typos, much less the body, how can I trust you to proof my final product for any mistakes? Also, argumentative and immature postings CAN and WILL be read by prospective clients, so it's prudent to be careful there too. And finally, if people give you good advice or even bad advice in a thread you started, thank them, be polite. I recently saw a post here by a guy in my area, I and several other folks responded to his query to which he never acknowledged. Last week I had a shoot that I needed an extra hand with, it paid well and would have been good experience for this young man. Guess who didn't get the call.

Don Bloom February 4th, 2010 10:18 AM

Mick, I agree with your statement. That's 1 reason I lke DVi, Chris keeps a pretty tight hold on flames and arguements. While a healthy disagreement can be good it doesn't have to be negative.
I have heard from customers that have actually seen my posts here and in todays electronic, instant message age, we as a group do have to be careful not only of what we say but how it's said. Sometimes things that are "said" online don't sound the same as when they are said verbally, humor and cynicism don't always come out as we intend.

Let's all think about what we're going to say before we say it so when we write it out it comes out as we intended it.
(just a grouchy old man getting off the soap box)
O|O
|__|

Dave Blackhurst February 4th, 2010 02:44 PM

"if you can't say anything nice..."

I don't know why people don't think that the Internet is some sort of big faceless, nameless sandbox where anything goes, but it ain't...

Of course bad behavior online is probably a pretty good indicator of offline conduct too, they just haven't gone of the deep end in "real reality" yet, just my grumpy old opinion!

I still say people are basically nice, but sometimes they need to be reminded of appropriate behavior, don't know why being online seems to make people more forgetful of how they appear!

Chris Hurd February 4th, 2010 02:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mick Haensler (Post 1481496)
...argumentative and immature postings CAN and WILL be read by prospective clients...

That's the DV Info Net difference -- we don't allow that type of stuff in the first place.

(Please use the Report Post function if you ever see it here)

Jeff Emery February 4th, 2010 04:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mick Haensler (Post 1481496)
... proofread the title of your thread for typos...

Very important!! Why? Because once you speak and write good english, well, ain't nobody can't never take that from you.

Jeff

Dave Blackhurst February 4th, 2010 05:33 PM

durn toot'in!

Mick Haensler February 4th, 2010 05:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jeff Emery (Post 1481725)
Very important!! Why? Because once you speak and write good english, well, ain't nobody can't never take that from you.

Jeff

You gotst dat right!!

Mick Haensler February 4th, 2010 05:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dave Blackhurst (Post 1481739)
durn toot'in!

It's darn tooting...sheesh

according to Webster's, sheesh is not a word BTW.

Aaron Fowler February 4th, 2010 06:03 PM

And it's not just DVinfo... It's also Facebook, Twitter and every other social networking site. The world is getting smaller and what some people don't realize is that the impressions you make online are just as important as you make in the ones you make the real world.

It takes me forever to post on this forum... Please tell me I'm not the only one who re-reads and edits my post 50 times before posting. :P

Adam Gold February 4th, 2010 09:11 PM

You're not.

Dave Blackhurst February 4th, 2010 09:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mick Haensler (Post 1481744)
It's darn tooting...sheesh

according to Webster's, sheesh is not a word BTW.

of course... it's "yeesh"! Yowsah, da noive of sum dicshunarys... wuzn't Webster that "whatcha talking about Willis" guy?? howz dat make him an expert?

Jim Andrada February 5th, 2010 01:20 AM

Webster wan't from Brooklyn

Bad for Brooklynites, maybe good for the rest of us

(My fadda was fum Brooklyn)

Andrew Smith February 5th, 2010 01:46 AM

The "preview" button is your friend. Works very well for me.

Andrew

Mick Haensler February 5th, 2010 06:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Aaron Fowler (Post 1481755)
It takes me forever to post on this forum... Please tell me I'm not the only one who re-reads and edits my post 50 times before posting. :P

Even after extensive editing, I will sometimes delete a post completely saying to myself...""never mind" in my best church lady voice. If someone PO's you, it is not a good idea to post until you have worked through your anger in some way. Posting while angry is a sure way to be seen as a hothead....which you are at that moment!!

It's interesting, we all have our moments no matter who we are. But if we put something out there during that moment, no matter how professional, rational and friendly we are 99.9% of the time, that is the moment that will define us. Remember the Howard Dean howl??

Aaron Fowler February 7th, 2010 01:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mick Haensler (Post 1481924)
Posting while angry is a sure way to be seen as a hothead....which you are at that moment!!

Did I really come across as hotheaded? I apologise, I had no intention of being aggressive in any way. I only meant it as a joke - how many times I have to check my own post before I'm confident it has no errors and communicates my message properly. It was supposed to be a light-hearted, poking fun at myself and not anyone else. I thought I made my intentions clear enough, but I mustn't have...

Sorry about that.

It's funny how something intended with humour can be taken the wrong way when typed without the intended vocal indication.