DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Taking Care of Business (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/taking-care-business/)
-   -   ArtAvant Wants My Video (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/taking-care-business/473383-artavant-wants-my-video.html)

Mark Williams February 22nd, 2010 04:14 PM

ArtAvant Wants My Video

Received an email from artavat.com concerning licensing of some of my video. The email sounds vague and nonspecific. Anyone have any experience with them? This is the email text I received minus contact info.

"My name is Elaine, and I am a Producer for ArtAvant. We are a new media network based in the US that is developing a unique programming concept which will feature artistic works by talented artists like you. Our company has been in development for quite some time and is now on the verge of establishing a television and broadband presence with the intent of reaching a worldwide audience.

I am writing to let you know that your work has been selected by our producers for a licensing opportunity within ArtAvant programming.

We have seen some of your impressive videos and would like to send you more information about our company and the licensing process. The work featured on your site “Blue Hole Falls” is an example of the type of work we would be interested in exploring with you. For other productions that are similar, I would like the opportunity to discuss those as well. If you have work with music that is not cleared for broadcast, let us know. We have solutions we can talk about with you.

Please respond as soon as you are able if this opportunity interests you, and I will provide a link which will direct you to the ArtAvant Artist Portal. This is where you will be able to find information about ArtAvant, our media formats and standards, the licensing process, artist compensation and more.

ArtAvant is committed to promoting the continuous evolution of professional, independent creativity. We appreciate your contribution to the elevation of your art form, and are excited about the possibility of working with you.

Again…congratulations, and best wishes for continued success."

Kind regards,

Elaine Roberts

Andrew Smith February 23rd, 2010 08:04 AM

Saw their web site and they seem to be falling over themselves with how new and hip they are. But I have a sneaking suspicion that they are still in the establishment phase and aren't a real viable concern yet.

And my how lucky you and others are to be 'selected' by these prestigious middle-men. :-P

I can only hope that their "licensing opportunity" is nothing at all like an Amway "business opportunity" whereby you are the one bearing the entrepreneurial risk for minimal hope of reward.

My advice? Get past the hype as soon as possible and find out what sort of money they are considering offering. That ought to sort it out fairly quickly.

Andrew

PS. Don't forget to share their response. :-)

Mark Williams February 23rd, 2010 09:53 AM

Thanks Andrew. Will do....

Mick Haensler February 26th, 2010 01:34 PM

They have a bangin web site. Even if it pays very little, it's content you've already created and could be great exposure. On the other hand, people might not buy your DVD's if they can watch them at ArtAvant for free. Could be good, could be bad...I agree with Andrew, more info is needed to make an educated decision on your part. Let us know, if it seems legit, I would be interested in submitting some work. Good luck!

Kevin Spahr February 28th, 2010 07:33 PM

Here's a link about ArtAvant requesting music and shows their agreement:

ArtAvant: What's this? - The forum: General - Jamendo

It looks to me like you waive your rights and give it to them for free...

Seems like there is another "new media" company created every two minutes.

Mark Williams March 19th, 2010 10:03 PM

Never heard anything back from them.