DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Taking Care of Business (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/taking-care-business/)
-   -   Quick help needed -- Guy wants to do an exercise video he wants to sell. (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/taking-care-business/49118-quick-help-needed-guy-wants-do-exercise-video-he-wants-sell.html)

Chris Simmons August 10th, 2005 10:04 AM

Quick help needed -- Guy wants to do an exercise video he wants to sell.

He wants me to shoot, edit, create opening and closing, design packaging, print it, and package it. He wants at least, 20 DVDs to start off with.

He is in New Orleans. He is just one individual who wants to get his own exercise thing going there.

Am I suppose to get a cut of what he sells or something? What if he becomes the next Billy Blanks Taebo guru? I am not sure about how video experts usually handle situations like this.

Thanks for your time.

Steven Davis August 10th, 2005 10:50 AM

Cya

Two words - Non-Refundable Deposit Or is that three?

I'm leary of doing out of town work without some type of deposit. So I would start with a strait forward contract with a hefty deposit. If he's not wanting to put his money where his abs are, I'd just leave it at that. But there are those here that are much smarter than I, they may feel different. Just my 2.5 cents.

Chris Simmons August 10th, 2005 12:57 PM

Thanks for your response.

Yes I will require him to pay me up front...100%. My question has more to do with him selling the DVDs for profit. Am I suppose to get a certain percentage of what he sells or do I simply get the cost of production of DVD and packaging cost?

Keith Loh August 10th, 2005 01:11 PM

Whether or not you get royalties is up to you to negotiate. You are not 'supposed' to get anything. You can negotiate backrubs if you want or do the whole thing for nothing.

Matt Champagne August 10th, 2005 11:50 PM

I would say you should negotiate royalties if you are giving him a really good deal. That way you can say I can give you this great price, and if you can't sell it no biggy but if you make a million dollars I get paid for my efforts...or you can take my regular fee of $XXXX

I would say if you take royalties your main discount should be packaging, but keep your shooting fees close to the same.

Are you from around New Orleans Chris? I'm from Lafayette myself.

Chris Simmons August 11th, 2005 06:10 AM

Thanks for your help Keith and Matt.

Yes Matt I am from New Orleans...born and raised. However, I just moved away to DC. Right when the movie industry really started moving in. :(

Steven Davis August 11th, 2005 06:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chris Simmons
Thanks for your help Keith and Matt.

Yes Matt I am from New Orleans...born and raised. However, I just moved away to DC. Right when the movie industry really started moving in. :(

Hey Chris, I'm in Richmond, hollar if you ever need anything.