DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Taking Care of Business (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/taking-care-business/)
-   -   New Business name (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/taking-care-business/49146-new-business-name.html)

Dan Farzad August 10th, 2005 07:52 PM

New Business name

I am breaking away from the company I am working for and I have to come up with a new production name. I need something catchy that will stick in mind yet ellegant and easy to spell and I have been working on this for quit a while but It really hard.
Most Productions companies have very wierd names that dont make sense like 6 neighbor, big wolf,..
I will be dealing with doctors lawyers and big corps a lot so i need something that will sound appealing to them and sounds like a company.

I thought of using numbers like
613 productions
with number i have a better luck of getting domain names.
what is your suggestion?

Matt Champagne August 10th, 2005 11:53 PM

I've heard that alot of production companies come from blending the names of the owners two favorite movies.

For example I currently use the name "Mental State" which we took from my favorite movie "Memento" at the time of our creation of the brand (its a stretch I know) and the directer I work with's favorite "Garden State"

Christopher C. Murphy August 11th, 2005 05:11 AM

What could be than than Farzad Productions???

Steven Davis August 11th, 2005 06:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Christopher C. Murphy
What could be than than Farzad Productions???

I actually like that, and your logo would be really snazzy, yet corporate.

Peter Jefferson August 11th, 2005 06:21 AM

business names arent that easy to come up with, but when u do, they have a hellof an impact on how your business is looked upon by clients as well as associated competition.

i guess the hardest thing is to bring in some character to the name, without sounding cheesy, but still bringing a professional flavour to it.... i actually took my first initial of my surname, and was going to call it " D' Studio "
then i saw what it looked like on paper and with some logos made up and it just didnt flow well.. it looked ok, but sounds too "dopey" and you really want a name to stick..
So i flipped it and made some ne logos and came up with "Studio-D" the look of it, as well as the audible flow of the words made a hell of a difference.. also the artwork we can create by using the text physical shape helped with marketing and logos for specific markets and the name itself, allows for growth of the business in other avenues, at the moment subtitle to the business name is "Digital Video and Multimedia Productions" however as i also do audio and gettin back into photography, i dont have to change the name, i just change the sub text to something like else which can cover photography and all the music and video elements of the business in very few words..

so have a think about what its gonna look like on paper, print up afew different styles with differnt fonts and see what works for you. Think of sub title texts as descriptions to extend the business name but most importantly check to see if someone hasnt already registered the name for business.. with .coms, there are so many extensions now, that .com even thoug it would be ideal, is not essential, theres .tv for example, or .net that u can use..

just my 2c

Chris Davis August 11th, 2005 07:19 AM

As long as we're talking business names...

I'm also looking for a good name. I'm even considering two names - one for wedding video and one for business and everything else.

For weddings, I'm considering using New Creation Wedding Cinematography. That includes several ideas I want to convey:
1. We are creative.
2. A married couple is two becoming one - a "new creation"
3. We don't just shoot a video like your Uncle Joe, we do cinematography.
4. We are a Christian-owned company (that matters to some people.)

But I'd like to have an overall business name that sounds fun, yet not stupid, and still says what we do. I came up with one I really like, but I'm worried about trademark infringement:

Famous Davis Productions

What do you think?

Mike Rinkunas August 11th, 2005 09:23 AM

Company branding/naming is a very tough call, it really depends on the intended market you are going after. I wanted to do more corporate work, and i wanted to stay away from anything that made me like a single man operationing out of his spare bedroom - which i am!

I choose MR Productions because it is open ended, i can do anything with the company - Work on a corporate project one day then jump to running training seminars, teach an MSHA course another day, film a friends wedding, then back to doing interactive CD-ROMS. All with a single company.

The MR stands for my initials, although i have kidded around with clients that it really means 'Mister" if i don't like them. But that gimmick in itself is a good ploy, because people new to my company will ask what the MR stands for, showing that they are interested in my company. In the long term i may shorten it down to MRP to keep things trendy, but that's atleast a couple of years away.

Chris, my advice to would be to try to pick a single name for your company, this way you build up a single corporate identity. it will also help to cut down some costs if you wanted to incorporate both company names to reduce your liability.

But then again, in the end its your company, and you have to do what you feel is best for success of your company and yourself.

~Mike

Bob Costa August 11th, 2005 11:44 AM

I like Farzad Productions.

Paul Tauger August 11th, 2005 12:50 PM

As a general rule, when choosing a business name, it's always a good idea to check whether anyone else is using it as a trademark. You can research registered trademarks for free using the US Patent and Trademark Office's TESS system at:

http://tess2.uspto.gov/bin/gate.exe?...ate=682gd2.1.1

The general website also has lots of good information about trademarks and patents at:

www.uspto.gov

Note, too, that the absence of a federal registration does not necessarily mean that use of a business name won't infringe another's trademark -- both federal and state law recognize protection of common-law marks, i.e. those that are unregistered. There are companies that will do a common-law search, e.g. NameProtect and Thomson & Thomson, for a relatively nominal sum -- in the several hundred dollar range.

Having a trademark search done is a prima facie defense against intentional trademark infringement.

Dan Farzad August 12th, 2005 06:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bob Costa
I like Farzad Productions.

interesting
what about it do u like? :)

Dan Farzad August 12th, 2005 06:47 PM

how does playing around with the spelling of an existing name sound?

I have one in mind that is very cool but I am afraid of losing traffic to the website for misspelling the name.

someone told me let people learn the name !!!

other than this how does

616 productions /616 media

Bob Costa August 12th, 2005 06:50 PM

Simple. Flexible for any future projects from film to educational to weddings. It mostly tells what you do (Video Productions might be slightly better IMHO). DOmain.com probably not taken. You get double hit on any promo, whether reported writes about you personally or your company. It conveys a confidence in your work if you are willing to put your name on it. And Farzad is unusual enough to be memorable and not confusing. Easy to spell.

Bob Costa August 12th, 2005 06:53 PM

OTOH WTF is 616 ? You will have to explain it to everyone that you meet, unless it is your phone area code. But it loses many of advantages I mentioned in other post.

Chris Davis August 15th, 2005 12:02 PM

That settles it, I'm going to use Farzad Productions! :)

Steven Gotz August 15th, 2005 12:11 PM

I also like Farzad Productions. It is flexible. People like us, with rather unique names (at least in the USA they are unique - Gotz - Hurd - Farzad) should take advantage of the situation.

My problem is that Gotz is the name of some very famous dolls. So I have to use my first name in the site.