DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Taking Care of Business (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/taking-care-business/)
-   -   Equipment insurance? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/taking-care-business/491956-equipment-insurance.html)

Bob Prichard February 18th, 2011 04:21 PM

Equipment insurance?

Anyone have a name and contact information for a business equipment insurance company they have used and can recommend?

I have about $80,000 in still and video equipment to insure. I now have it on a rider on my renter policy, but my company now says that I have too much equipment on my rider and they won't add any more. I just bought a new camera for 8 grand and need to get it insured.

Thanks.

Chris Davis February 18th, 2011 04:45 PM

We have our insurance through Techinsurance.com. I tried to go with a local agent, but their rates were high and the agent flat out told me it was because they really didn't understand our business. Techinsurance.com specialized in insuring technically-oriented businesses. Their website specifically talks about IT companies, but they had no problems with the fact I do video work.

Don Bloom February 18th, 2011 05:09 PM

I've had my gear insured thru RV Nuccio for about 8 years and while you never get to talk to anyone while buying it has always been a painless and reasonable process. Besides the gear I have a 2mm liability policy and it a decent rate.
Special Event Insurance :: RV Nuccio and Associates, Inc.

Tim Polster February 18th, 2011 05:09 PM

Chris, how are their rates? Any idea per $10,000 of equipment?

I have my stuff with a Hartford agent but that was the only one I could find so I did not get to price shop but the company was very familar with photo & video gear.

Bob Prichard February 18th, 2011 06:17 PM

Equipment insurance

Quote:

Originally Posted by Don Bloom (Post 1619598)
I've had my gear insured thru RV Nuccio for about 8 years and while you never get to talk to anyone while buying it has always been a painless and reasonable process. Besides the gear I have a 2mm liability policy and it a decent rate.
Special Event Insurance :: RV Nuccio and Associates, Inc.

How have they been as far as settling claims for loss or damage?

Bob Prichard February 18th, 2011 06:19 PM

Equipment insurance

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chris Davis (Post 1619592)
We have our insurance through Techinsurance.com. I tried to go with a local agent, but their rates were high and the agent flat out told me it was because they really didn't understand our business. Techinsurance.com specialized in insuring technically-oriented businesses. Their website specifically talks about IT companies, but they had no problems with the fact I do video work.

How have they been as far as settling any claims for loss or damage?

Don Bloom February 18th, 2011 06:20 PM

Can't answer haven't had a claim (knocking on wood) but I do know 1 person that did and he said it was n better no worse than any other insurance company.
They also provide insurance for DJs, photographers, and events so I have to guess they're pretty decent.

Mike Brice February 18th, 2011 09:46 PM

I come from newspapers and the still world, but many photogs on sportsshooter.com recommended TCP&Co.

I have used them for about 6 years with no problems.

When I started adding video and audio gear, it wasn't a problem.

Thanks
Mike

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bob Prichard (Post 1619588)
Anyone have a name and contact information for a business equipment insurance company they have used and can recommend?

I have about $80,000 in still and video equipment to insure. I now have it on a rider on my renter policy, but my company now says that I have too much equipment on my rider and they won't add any more. I just bought a new camera for 8 grand and need to get it insured.

Thanks.

Chris Davis February 19th, 2011 12:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tim Polster (Post 1619599)
Chris, how are their rates? Any idea per $10,000 of equipment?

I have my stuff with a Hartford agent but that was the only one I could find so I did not get to price shop but the company was very familar with photo & video gear.

Techinsurance.com is just an independent agent, so my insurance is actually through Hartford.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bob Prichard (Post 1619617)
How have they been as far as settling any claims for loss or damage?

I haven't found out yet.

Josh Keffer March 1st, 2011 09:54 AM

Re: Equipment insurance?

Here' s another vote for TechInsurance. I was having trouble with other companies that didn't understand what "video production" meant. TechInsurance has policies specifically for video producers, and they came back with a quote very quickly. Policy is through the Hartford, so I feel good about it.

Les Wilson March 1st, 2011 04:59 PM

Re: Equipment insurance?

I contacted Techinsurance.com and about property insurance for a trip and they said they don't do that and referred me to another site that takes your application and sends it out for bid. The only insurance I could find was liability, not property. Altogether a complete waste of time.