DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Taking Care of Business (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/taking-care-business/)
-   -   Client asking for project files along with rendered video? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/taking-care-business/495850-client-asking-project-files-along-rendered-video.html)

Jacques E. Bouchard May 13th, 2011 07:31 AM

Client asking for project files along with rendered video?

What's the practice on clients asking for the full project files to be delivered along with the rendered video at the end of a gig? My reflex is to say no, they paid for the finished product not for a free tutorial on my editing tips and secrets so he can finish the job himself after I've done the brunt of the work (the guy fancies himself an amateur videographer and editor), but do people usually comply for an additional fee?

In graphic design, for instance, do service providers surrender all their support files and designs along with the final product?

J.

Chris Davis May 13th, 2011 08:29 AM

Re: Client asking for project files along with rendered video?

I can't answer for you, but as for me...

You're right, the client paid for a finished video, which was provided. I'd explain to the client (as simply as you did here) that I'm not providing the project files for free. However, I am in business, so I'd quote him a fair price for the project files and raw video.

We also offer graphic design services, and it is not unusual for the client to request the original files. In that case, we build that cost into the initial quote.

Jacques E. Bouchard May 13th, 2011 08:33 AM

Thanks Chris. After posting my question, I stumbled upon an apparently unrelated thread that dealt with the cost of providing footage for a specific video, as opposed to providing stock footage for potentially unlimited videos. I think that's what I need to use to justify charging extra.

The question is, how much? This was a 3-min. corporate video with green screen work.

Paul R Johnson May 13th, 2011 08:50 AM

Rather the same a a photographer giving you the negatives, they're rarely part of the deal. If you sell them to him, that's different.

Jacques E. Bouchard May 13th, 2011 08:57 AM

Thanks Paul, I invoked usage and licensing fees with the client and will quote him a price. I doubt he'll go for it, however - or rather I doubt his boss will authorize the extra cost just so he can toy around with the video.

The thing is, I tried to explain to him that the project files are useless to him unless he has all of the third-party FX plug-ins too, but I don't think he quite understands.

J.

Shaun Roemich May 13th, 2011 01:11 PM

My initial letter of understanding indicates that project files and other intermediate files will NOT be supplied.

If someone pressed for what I consider legitimate reasons, I would consider it for additional remuneration or for goodwill but I don't consider client side revisions a good reason.

My business model... may or may not work for you...