DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Taking Care of Business (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/taking-care-business/)
-   -   Photo to be used on TV, Release question (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/taking-care-business/496076-photo-used-tv-release-question.html)

John Saunders May 18th, 2011 08:50 AM

Photo to be used on TV, Release question

I took pictures for a couple and the man is going to be on a tv late night show (don't know if I can say names or the show). The man asked if the show could use a picture that I took. I have no problem with this and am not looking for any compensation (I was paid to take the pictures originally) but I don't know how to release the picture. Do I just say yeah sure go ahead, or is there a good release form available. If it makes any difference I did have the person sign a model release when I took the pictures, so I do own the image and the rights to that image.

Any tips or info would be greatly appreciated.

Paul R Johnson May 18th, 2011 11:52 AM

Re: Photo to be used on TV, Release question

If it's for broadcast, you'll probably get asked to sign one of their release forms - I'd leave it that way because if you're not after a fee, then having them use it with no paperwork is a plus point for you. Their form will probably contain rights for ever - as in "In any territory, for perpetuity". I love that one.

Steve House May 19th, 2011 04:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by John Saunders (Post 1650364)
I took pictures for a couple and the man is going to be on a tv late night show (don't know if I can say names or the show). The man asked if the show could use a picture that I took. I have no problem with this and am not looking for any compensation (I was paid to take the pictures originally) but I don't know how to release the picture. Do I just say yeah sure go ahead, or is there a good release form available. If it makes any difference I did have the person sign a model release when I took the pictures, so I do own the image and the rights to that image.

Any tips or info would be greatly appreciated.

The subejct's signature on a model release DOES NOT mean you own the image. Model releases and the right to use someone's likeness are totally separate from ownership of the copyright on the image, and "own the image" would mean you own the copyright on it. You said you were paid to take the pictures originally ... who paid you and what rights did you sell them in exchange for that fee? Or were you an employee and made the pictures within the scope of your regular job duties?

Jim Andrada May 26th, 2011 10:19 AM

I don't think this one is overly complicated. From what you said there are two parties involved, you and the gentleman in the photo. If he gives the TV show the picture, you would be the only one who could complain about it and you aren't going to complain. I think a note telling him to go ahead would be enough. Just my opinion.