DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Taking Care of Business (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/taking-care-business/)
-   -   Thought: freelance employer evaluation forum/thread? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/taking-care-business/501018-thought-freelance-employer-evaluation-forum-thread.html)

Kevin McRoberts September 24th, 2011 02:20 PM

Thought: freelance employer evaluation forum/thread?

I've started doing more work for a wide array of national and near-international production organizations that source or subcontract with local videographers, usually via contact through Mandy, Media Match, Craigslist, or wherever. Some of these outfits have been great, some have been OK, some less-than-stellar, and some have outright ripped me off.

What would the forumeers' (forumites? foruminants? forumulans? forumese?) opinions be on having someplace to give simple reports on whether terms are fair, jobs are realistic, payment is prompt, and so forth so fellow videographers around the globe know what they're getting into before signing on with these gigs?

Shaun Roemich September 24th, 2011 02:40 PM

Re: Thought: freelance employer evaluation forum/thread?

Sounds like it would be a liability nightmare. I know I would sue for damages if I got a foul review that I felt I did not deserve...

Just my 2 cents...

Kevin McRoberts September 24th, 2011 02:45 PM

What if it were a foul review you did deserve?

How to sites like Yelp or the billion of other service rating sites handle this?

Shaun Roemich September 24th, 2011 04:30 PM

The ability to litigate (and cause the alleged offending party money to bring a defense) has NOTHING to do with merit of the argument.

If I, with my fictious staff of 7 high priced lawyers on retainer, sued you, you would incur a great deal of legal costs to defend against the lawsuit "we" brought against you. Unless of course "you" found an attorney willing to work for free or willing to take a cut of a countersuit against "me".

The legal system is seldom about who is right and who is wrong, but what can be brought forward in court.

Of course, "your" legal defense would be based around "my" lousy performance and well documented proof of same. (For example, showing up with a VHS camcorder and claiming it was HD...)

It would still cost "you" money to defend against the suit. AND if "you" carry liability insurance, the willingness of "your" insurer to continue to insure "you", given that "you" were actively engaging in activities that expose "yourself" to greater legal liability, may decrease as well.

Not saying it isn't a good idea, in concept. Just saying it is FAR easier to propose than to follow through on.

Again, my 2 cents contributed to the conversation. I encourage any parties with views contrary to my own (especially those of more learned legal backgrounds!) to contribute as well.

Josh Bass September 24th, 2011 08:21 PM

I would like to think this site, by now, has a good deal of class and professionalism that separates it from places like yelp. Who takes the time to review a fuddruckers anyway? Who are these people?

Rick L. Allen September 25th, 2011 06:22 PM

Go to Freelancers Union :: Platform for an Independent Workforce - Pages from Freelancers Union. They have a most useful feature where you can rate employers.