DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Taking Care of Business (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/taking-care-business/)
-   -   So, who wants to get together to start a worldwide distribution company??? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/taking-care-business/501573-so-who-wants-get-together-start-worldwide-distribution-company.html)

Geen White October 13th, 2011 12:53 PM

So, who wants to get together to start a worldwide distribution company???

I am totally serious.
I am a very business oriented person. I am sure there
are more just like me out there. There are enough of
us on this forum to do it. We can cover so many cities
and countries.

I have seen so many great indie films that need to be seen.

Anyone willing to further discuss this, please join in.

It will be done.

Craig Parkes October 15th, 2011 02:48 PM

Re: So, who wants to get together to start a worldwide distribution company???

Hi Geen, what sort of distribution are you talking? Theatrical, DVD, VOD? Narrative Features, docos, what?

Louis Maddalena October 19th, 2011 10:54 AM

sounds like an interesting idea... what do you need?

Dave Blackhurst October 19th, 2011 08:52 PM

Can you expand on the idea/concept? Certainly there is lots of "content" out there, but also there are tons of "worldwide" distribution channels... what would be the unique approach, and most importantly the financial viability? Ultimately without financial viability, it wouldn't last too long, and if there is financial viability, can you protect it sufficiently so that someone else with deep pockets doesn't float by and steal it?

Doug Bailey October 20th, 2011 11:02 AM

I've been shooting Florida wildlife & nature footage with a 7D & big lenses for about 2 years and have some really beautiful & unusual footage. Now also using an XF300. Also have 50-80K pro quality nature stills captured over the past 10 years. Be interested in marketing this. Please visit my web site, thanks.
Regards,
Doug.
http://www.BaileyNatureGallery.com

Sareesh Sudhakaran October 21st, 2011 06:16 AM

It's been a week now...has it been done yet?

Kevin Spahr October 22nd, 2011 06:27 AM

IMO worldwide distribution is readily available, easy to get and it has good financial returns.

The problem is PROMOTION!!!

How get you get the world to know about your movie and even more important - get them so interested in it that they are willing to pay to watch it.

Come up with that solution and you'll be rich in no time at all.

Dylan Couper October 28th, 2011 03:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sareesh Sudhakaran (Post 1690496)
It's been a week now...has it been done yet?

I started one last week, but then Battlefield 3 came out so I quit.

Kevin Spahr October 28th, 2011 04:52 PM

In my experience, limited as it might be, there are a TON of distribution companies who are quite willing to look at your movie, some say no and some will say yes. It is then up to you to decide if the terms are acceptable to you.

I tried the film festival circuit, which took up a year of my time and about $1500 in submission fees. Then with in one month of contacting distributors directly, I received a number of replies stating interest in my documentary. This cost me nest to nothing. I sent them screeners and then the talks proceeded with a few of them. Some of the major distributor will even allow you to submit films for consideration. And isn't that the main reason we try to get our films in to a festival. I'm sure that we have all read stories about films that got into or even won awards at major festival and never got distribution. Now getting distribution is not a guarantee of financial success but it is a step in the right direction.