DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Taking Care of Business (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/taking-care-business/)
-   -   Ink Jet paper suggestions (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/taking-care-business/502201-ink-jet-paper-suggestions.html)

Mark Ahrens November 1st, 2011 05:06 AM

Ink Jet paper suggestions

Does anyone have any suggestions for a good inkjet paper / settings for dvd covers?

I do a fair amount of low quantity discs and it just doesn't pay to run to Kinko's to output a nice cover.
I have an Epson RX560 with CIS but the prints leave a lot to be desired. I've tried using 80 laser print, 80# Accent and nothing work well. I think coated is the way to go, but i've had a lot of bad results on some samples.

Probably the best prints i've made were 2 years ago on a coated, dimpled stock that had a 'canvas' texture . . . it was discontinued.

A little embarrassing, as i was in the printing trade for 11 years . . . never used ink jets, though.

Also . . . any suggestions on CIS bundled printer with disc printing? My printer's getting long in the tooth and i hate the removable tray.

Mary Crowley November 1st, 2011 06:51 AM

Re: Ink Jet paper suggestions

Hi Mark,

here are the ones that I like to use.
I'm sure the US version of Amazon will supply them also.

There's perforations so that you don't have to use a guillotine or anything to cut to the correct size and the paper quality is quite good. I've also used the 'Fellowes' version, but I prefer the paper quality of the 'Pressit' covers.

Hope that helps,
Mary.

Mark Ahrens November 1st, 2011 07:30 AM

Thanx Mary,
Coated or Matte finish?
Not a big fan of the perf type . . . usually costly. I like to buy in reams, not boxes of 100 or 50.
How's the image quality, sharp, soft, colors dim or vibrant?

Doug Bailey November 1st, 2011 07:40 AM

Hi Mark,
We buy Memorex DVD Label Refills in a 20 pack from Staples, White Matte. These are printed on an Epson 2200 photo printer. Been working fine so far.
Regards,
Doug.

Roger Van Duyn November 1st, 2011 09:27 AM

I use the Kodak Gloss Photo Paper, 48 lb., 6.5 mil and cut them to size with one of those full page cutter gizmos.

The 100 packs go on sale pretty cheap from time to time at Office Depot, Staples, WalMart etc. and I stock up.

Printing with an ink jet can get pricey. I was using generic inks in my epsons, but quality started getting worse the last few years, so I've gone back to epson ink. Hate the price. Thinking about a continuous ink system, but concerned about condensation in the tanks. I'm from Florida, and the dew point is typically in the 70s, just where air conditioning keeps our buildings. Condensation happens instantaneously when the dew point is reached. In my previous laboratory career, any slide staining methods that were open to the atmosphere had trouble with condensation. Concerned a continuous ink system might have similar problems. Cartridges are closed. Tanks have to be vented to pump to the printer.

Steve House November 1st, 2011 11:02 AM

Yep, printer ink is just about the most precious fluid on the planet. Someone figured out it averages about $25000 per liter.

Mark Ahrens November 3rd, 2011 06:43 AM

I absolutely love my CIS! And i'm in South Florida. I've never experienced condensation issues, never looked for them either. I haven't bought ink since i installed it, not only a money saver, but it solves bad prints due to low ink in one cartridge and the time it takes to order more cartridges, take inventory to stock up on the low colors, evaluate whether to buy a set or individual, blah, blah, blah . . .

Are you guys printing with epson printers?
If so, what settings . . . color controls? which matte/gloss paper setting?

Anyone have disc printing model with cis without the removable tray - mine is real fidgety when printing multiple dvds (sometimes rejecting the tray 3 times in a row before accepting the tray for printing). I'd like to upgrade to a built in with CIS but haven't settled on one.

Chris Harding November 3rd, 2011 06:59 AM

Hey Mark
I was using a pair of R290's for years and yes, the trays were a pain!! I now have the Artisan 725 !!! Built-in tray that never fails!! press to let the tray come out and press for it to go in!!!
It prints much higher quality too (I go direct to disk) and takes under 30secs per disk compared to the R290 that took about 2 minutes to print!!

I still do my DVD Case covers on the same machine!! Epson Photo Quality Inkjet Paper looks great for covers and at 120gsm it folds nicely too!!!

I have yet to find any decent ink (non Epson) for the printer so I don't have a CIS!!! All the ink this side of the world works for other printers but looks terrible with any Epson so I have to use the real thing (The $25K a litre stuff!!!)

Chris

Roger Van Duyn November 3rd, 2011 09:45 AM

Hey Mark,

Good news about you not having problems with condensation. The inks might be so different chemically from the stains we used in the lab that moisture getting in the tanks wouldn't be a problem like it was for the stains for slides that we looked at under the microscope. Virtually all detail would be lost. Everything looked washed out.

Of course, condensation occurs in my house here in Lakeland. Everytime the windows fog up, that's condensation. Hence my hesitation until I know more about CIS systems. I know there are differences in inks. The generic inks I used in the past worked great, looked the same as the epson inks did. Not any more, the manufacturer cut too many costs, I guess.

Adam Gold November 3rd, 2011 11:07 AM

For covers and inserts, I use the Kirkland Professional Glossy Inkjet Photo Paper from Costco with my Epson R320. Looks gorgeous once slipped into the sleeve.

Haven't moved to CIS yet. Maybe with the next printer.

Taky Cheung November 6th, 2011 12:14 PM

I am also using Costco Kirkland photo paper. Good price great quality.

Have been using CISS for the past few years. Now I think back, it was really being ripped off to buy all genuine Epson ink cartridges.

Mark Ahrens November 6th, 2011 02:42 PM

Couldn't agree more on the feeling of being ripped off . . . although, i didn't have to look back to see that. Every time i bought $60 - 80.00 worth of ink i was inflamed, so to speak. (BTW - i don't buy the whole genuine Epson Ink BS either - "genuine this!")

Tim Polster November 8th, 2011 10:33 AM

I use Ilford Gallerie Smooth Gloss. ~$20 for 100 sheets from Sam's Club. Dries instantly and looks very nice.

Mark Ahrens November 19th, 2011 05:53 PM

Thanks all, for the posts.
I picked up some gloss sheets at Sam's (150 for $15) and am quite impressed and, at the same time, embarrassed for being such a tightwad. It's well worth the 10 cents (i figure ink cost to be minimal with the CIS). Looks superior to the color copy outputs at Kinko's!
For small quantity, you can't beat it. But, i'll probably still go to Kinko's for larger quantities, especially for the cutting!
Cheers!