DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Taking Care of Business (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/taking-care-business/)
-   -   Video shoot insurance? where to buy? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/taking-care-business/505744-video-shoot-insurance-where-buy.html)

Dave Morgan March 1st, 2012 07:58 PM

Video shoot insurance? where to buy?

Video shoot insurance? where to buy? Looking for a place that you can buy insurance for a video shoot.
any suggestions?

Nate Haustein March 1st, 2012 11:42 PM

Re: Video shoot insurance? where to buy?

I tried two roads, one was better than the other...

1) I called a large insurance firm that I saw in a videography magazine. Spent two days emailing/calling back and forth with them about setting up a small policy for my business. All told it was about $1100 a year. One last thing though; I needed insurance for rented equipment. Though the large firm boasted that it "specialized" in insurance policies for the creative fields they had no idea how to set up my plan with any sort of rental insurance. Sorry they said, you'll have to speak with our parent company. Two days wasted - I was on vacation too....

2) Take two, I called a small local firm I heard about from a friend. His uncle worked there. Long story short, the plan was set up in less than a day with everything we needed and nothing we didn't. Total cost: about $1200 a year. Value in knowing who to call with questions or minor changes to your plan: Priceless.

The morale of the story is to ask around locally, I'm sure there's lots of small business owners who would be more than happy to set you up with exactly what you need with a personal touch. Perhaps you could enlighten us with your city?

Dave Morgan March 2nd, 2012 12:19 AM

I'm looking for something that is project based, just for a certain video shoot. I remember reading of places just cant remember where.

Mike Watson March 2nd, 2012 06:01 PM

You can (probably) put a rider on your homeowner's insurance for cheap.

I have business insurance, and agree with what was posted above. It is a small price to pay for peace of mind 12 months a year.

Brian Brown March 3rd, 2012 12:56 PM

I have $15k worth of "inland marine" insurance for my equipment to cover breakage and theft, and a $2M umbrella liability insurance policy underwritten through American Family. I'm in the US. Cost is roughly $500/year for both policies. Some of my govt. clients have required proof of insurance, and at those rates, I'd be CRAZY not to carry it.

Bill Thesken March 3rd, 2012 03:51 PM

Brian, does that cover any cast and crew on the set, or just you?

Jonathan Levin March 3rd, 2012 04:10 PM

Dave,

If you are in business as a production person, you should look into a combination equipment and workers comp policy. Mine is with Hartford. Not cheap. A good company though. If you need a "certificate of insurance" I think you need to have some sort of business policy. The workers comp part covers you, assistants, crew, etc, if someone is injured or there is property damage.

A certificate of insurance is basically paper that says you are in fact insured should disaster strike. Your agent should be able to get one to you pretty quick after you talk with them. I get one all the time for locations that I rent out for a project.

Best thing to do is talk to a knowledgable agent about this.

Jonathan

Brian Brown March 3rd, 2012 04:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bill Thesken (Post 1718746)
Brian, does that cover any cast and crew on the set, or just you?

Bill, I am a "one-man show" on 95% of the shoots I do. I don't have my policy in front of me, but I would suspect it only covers myself and whatever befalls me.

Bill Thesken March 3rd, 2012 04:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jonathan Levin (Post 1718750)
Dave,

Best thing to do is talk to a knowledgable agent about this.

Jonathan

I'm calling one on Monday.

Justin Molush March 4th, 2012 10:16 AM

If you guys could report back what agent you used and what you insured, that would be appreciated - I spent a couple days trying to find an insurance agent to try to insure a RED One because I was renting from a studio that normally wouldn't rent out, but had no problem renting if I was able to fund insurance on top of the rental fee (which was a great price)...

Unfortunately, I ended up playing phone tag for quite a long time jumping from one insurance agent to the other, and everyone knew a person that would know how to insure that... turns out, no one knew how to give me a day rider on the camera, lenses, etc etc and I was stuck.

The project ended up being shot on something else so I didn't need insurance, but I am still looking for someone on the east coast which would know how to insure something like this in case of damage. Subscribed for some insight...

Ned Soltz March 5th, 2012 10:52 AM

I joined National Press Photographers Association (National Press Photographers Association). They have an affinity plan with excellent insurance, including rental and liability.

Ned Soltz

Ryan Douthit March 5th, 2012 04:57 PM

Can you get add'l insured certs on the NPPA policy? I'm shopping right now, too. I've gone through local agents and in all cases I end up paying $2500/year through a national carrier for what I consider to be a pretty basic equipment and liability policy. Definitely looking for a cheaper option.

I'm also looking into a policy through Fractured Atlas, which was recommended by members of the International Academy of Web Television. Though, I have to join FA to get rates... which I haven't done yet.

Dave Morgan March 5th, 2012 11:45 PM

I guess my main question still has not been answered. In order for me to get a Film Permit for a location, they require the following "below". So I am just looking for a place that can issue a Certificate of Insurance based on a single project. I know they are out there somewhere.

I don't have any idea what most of this means, so if you could break it down that could help a bit.

Certificate of Insurance: Comprehensive general public liability insurance coverage from an insurance company authorized to do business in the State of Tennessee and acceptable to Metro must be provided. If using an automobile, automobile liability coverage is also required. Both policies of insurance must have a limit of not less than one million dollars ($1,000,000.00).
In the event a Metro structure is used, insurance coverage for any damage to the structure shall have a limit of not less than Five Hundred Thousand Dollars ($500,000.00). This insurance coverage may be carried in a separate policy or be included in the comprehensive general liability policy.
Additional insurance coverage as deemed necessary by Metro Legal may be required.
The insured company must be the same as the permit applicant.
Metropolitan Government of Nashville and Davidson County must be included as a certificate holder and named as an additional insured:

Deborah Gallegos March 6th, 2012 01:47 AM

I may be out of line here, but I ran into my first issue with insurance last year where the Church I'd done so many wedding videos for (and attend) started requiring that $1 million insurance policy. I ended up getting it through State Farm fairly cheaply on a month-by-month basis as business insurance, too. However, when I asked the Church what other options they could give me, they said that their Diocesan insurance could cover me for the day for $95. I thought it made more sense for me to just get my own considering the amount of filming I do there, though. My point is: I wonder if the place requiring you to get that insurance might offer something similar if asked?

Just a thought,
Deborah

Roger Van Duyn March 6th, 2012 05:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dave Morgan (Post 1719260)
I guess my main question still has not been answered. In order for me to get a Film Permit for a location, they require the following "below". So I am just looking for a place that can issue a Certificate of Insurance based on a single project. I know they are out there somewhere.

I don't have any idea what most of this means, so if you could break it down that could help a bit.

Certificate of Insurance: Comprehensive general public liability insurance coverage from an insurance company authorized to do business in the State of Tennessee and acceptable to Metro must be provided. If using an automobile, automobile liability coverage is also required. Both policies of insurance must have a limit of not less than one million dollars ($1,000,000.00).
In the event a Metro structure is used, insurance coverage for any damage to the structure shall have a limit of not less than Five Hundred Thousand Dollars ($500,000.00). This insurance coverage may be carried in a separate policy or be included in the comprehensive general liability policy.
Additional insurance coverage as deemed necessary by Metro Legal may be required.
The insured company must be the same as the permit applicant.
Metropolitan Government of Nashville and Davidson County must be included as a certificate holder and named as an additional insured:

That's a standard option with a business liability policy. If a client requires this form, just call your insurance agent and have him fax it to them. That's what my insurance agent told me. In his words, "no big deal."

I have a name badge I printed up with all the numbers on the back, policy numbers, business tax receipt (occupational license number), insurance agent's phone number etc.

As for the auto insurance, just show them the insurance card you carry in your wallet with your driver's license. This is all standard with government agencies.