DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Taking Care of Business (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/taking-care-business/)
-   -   How Long should a Video Production Demo Reel be? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/taking-care-business/510909-how-long-should-video-production-demo-reel.html)

Silas Barker September 23rd, 2012 08:15 PM

How Long should a Video Production Demo Reel be?

HI guys,

I am currently updating my demo reel and was wondering if you guys had any thoughts about how long it should be. My current one is about 1 minute long, and I was thinking of making the new one about 30 seconds long. (Keeping the best of the best!)

The reel shows film, commercials, music videos, and events in one. I am mainly focused on commercial work so the new one will have a commercial look to it.

Any thoughts appreciated!

Allan Black October 1st, 2012 02:18 AM

Re: How Long should a Video Production Demo Reel be?

It all depends on how and where you present it, eg: inviting a new client to your place just to show a 30sec demo won't make much sense.

On the other hand, emailing a 30sec demo around to clients or having it available on your website seems to be a better use.

If you're making 30sec demo productions, I'd look at making more than one original one, designed for specific new clients.
eg: research a local used car outfit, study their current spots and make better ones as demos. Same for a tourist bus company etc etc.

Today it's all about clever gimmicks, maybe tied to a client's new product release. They want to see what you'd do for them.
Listen to what they comment on, make any required changes and have a cost ready. HTH.

Cheers.

Ervin Farkas October 1st, 2012 08:42 PM

I would say keep it at one minute; chances are you won't be able to fit everything you need in 30 seconds.

One minute is still acceptable length even in this 21st century with drastically reduced attention span.

Mike Watson October 8th, 2012 11:17 AM

If you're doing short-form work, just post (or show) the whole spots. Demo reels were for days when we were unable to do that. When I hire out, I want to know what you're like on an average day, not on your best day.

Roger Van Duyn October 9th, 2012 06:15 AM

Like Mike says, I have a small portfolio page on my site, with a few other videos sprinkled on the other pages, and links to my YouTube Channel and Vimeo stuff.

In addition, certain clients allow me to share links to their websites and the completed works I've done for them. However, it might not be a good idea to show work you've done for a competitor of your new prospect. Then again, maybe it is a good idea. It depends on the individual prospect that you are trying to form a new business relationship with. That's the key idea, forming a new business relationship. In some ways it's like making a new friend when you were a kid. Now that I'm grown up, I still like my business relationships to be friendly. You share what you've done regarding a mutual interest. When I was a kid, if my new friend liked marbles, I brought my marbles. If he liked baseball, I brought my glove.

If my new prospective client is in the construction industry, I show some of my construction videos. If in the health care industry, some of my medical stuff. Aviation industry....you get the idea.