DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Taking Care of Business (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/taking-care-business/)
-   -   business vs personal (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/taking-care-business/514793-business-vs-personal.html)

Noa Put March 6th, 2013 04:07 AM

business vs personal

Not sure if this is the right category to post this but I guess it will be replaced if not, I"m re-designing my website now and started a topic asking which way you should present yourself on your website if you work alone (see http://www.dvinfo.net/forum/new-spc-...4657-we-i.html)

Another thing came to mind of which I"m not sure if it will have any benefit and that's concerning personal work, I cover weddings, events, dance performances and a occasional corporate film but have been shooting a few films lately just for fun. I do have a vimeo channel where I keep my demo's that I use on my business website separate from my personal projects.

I do have a blog on my business website but all stuff in there is releated to my business and what I offer, there are just a few posts in there so it's not really a blog but more of a information tool. I was thinking of adding these personal projects to my blog as well, they have nothing to do with what I offer but they do showcase my shooting skills and those might lead to new job offers as well. Since I do make a personal film just for fun on a more regular base I would have something to fill my blog with.

At least, that's what I think, not sure how a client would perceive that, I have seen photogs that have a blog connected to their business site where they do post a lot of personal projects. Is there anyone here that mixes personal work with business work on the same website and does in give any advantage?

Roger Van Duyn March 6th, 2013 06:31 AM

Re: business vs personal

I'm not a business or website guru, but I wanted to make it obvious to my clients and prospects that True View is a one person company. It's purpose is to give prospects some basic information about the business and a few examples of work in a low pressure manner. It helps them decide whether or not to give me a call or send an email to inquire further.

As for the personal videos, on the website sidebar is a link to the True View YouTube Channel. On the channel, one of the playlists is "Roger's Home Movies."

By the way Noa, part of the problem for the we and I issue is that English doesn't have a good third person singular pronoun. On my own site I found instances where I'd used us or we speaking in the third person. There's no intent to deceive, but it's good to avoid inadvertent confusion whenever possible when dealing with prospective clients.

Shaun Roemich March 6th, 2013 10:32 AM

Hi Noa. I was recently faced with the same dilemma.

I own and operate my company, which most of the time is just me. However, I do frequently bring on folks as required to help.

What I decided to do was keep the references on the company website as "we"-like as possible and use my blog (which I post to rather regularly these days...) to sort of explain who I am, what I do and share personal insight, especially as I have work I have completed PERSONALLY as a freelancer that I feel it would be wrong to credit my company as I was working for another business at the time in a "hired gun" role.

The blog is up-to-date whereas my website is completely redesigned but awaiting a handful of new imaging content before the new WordPress-based site goes live, hopefully in time for NAB.

Not claiming I'm "doing it right", just offering up what I chose as my solution recently. I deliberately chose to host the blog at WordPress while my website is hosted on servers.

Allan Black March 6th, 2013 01:23 PM

Noa, if you're married, your wife won't like it if you run with 'I'

If you're not, your girl friend won't like it either.

Cheers.