DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Taking Care of Business (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/taking-care-business/)
-   -   Editing Revisions From Client (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/taking-care-business/516030-editing-revisions-client.html)

Shaun Forsdyke April 23rd, 2013 10:13 AM

Editing Revisions From Client

Hi all.

A general question.

I am wondering how lenient to be on this.
My current T&C reads

Upon completion of the video. The video file will be uploaded and available for the client to download. The client can then request minor editorial changes (within reason to the signed contract) to the video free of charge. The client must include all requested changes in one email and within 5 days of viewing the video file.

Is that fair? Is the wording specific?

I just want to make sure that I am not doing myself a disservice or equally screwing the client.

David W. Jones April 23rd, 2013 11:05 AM

Re: Editing Revisions From Client

I think it's more than fair, considering I charge full price for any work I do including revisions.

Robert Benda April 23rd, 2013 11:58 AM

your wording is awfully vague. What is reasonable?

Mine has a cap of editing (not rendering) time. Specify a date (June 16, 2013), not '5 days'. It means changing it on each contract, but the more specific you are, the stronger your contract is.

And What does "of viewing" mean? Don't you mean 'within posting of the video for download'?

Shaun Forsdyke April 23rd, 2013 12:28 PM

Thanks Robert,

Revised.

Upon completion of the video. The video file will be uploaded and available for the client to download. The client can then request minor editorial changes to the video free of charge. The client must include all requested changes in one email and within 5 days of the posting of the video for download.

I fear the word 'minor' is still too vague and without any real meaning. I tried to elaborate but it sounded messy.

David Barnett April 23rd, 2013 12:39 PM

Sorry, but this:

The client can then request minor editorial changes (within reason to the signed contract) to the video free of charge.

is just to vague if you're trying to speak legally. Its good customer service maybe to offer it, but you'll get burned on it fairly soon. You'd be better off stating all requested changes will be billed. Then if you feel like making a judgement call & waiving the fee, then do it. Customers may not like seeing it upfront, but you'll save yourself on the backend.

I've found people in general have no concept of what takes place in editing time, and graphic design. They think by saying "I don't like that part" or "can you do it this way instead" is something minor, especially if it's a minor part to the story/event. It may be, but it also may be a part where the editing time took the longest (Case in point, wedding ceremonies I do very little editing, but that's a pretty important scene). Yet I did a birthday video with dozens of "Hey congrats" shot by the family on handheld camcorders & such, and cell phone videos sent to me, and the dvd ended up being close to 2 hours total run time. Looked kinda shoddy, but editing time took much longer than a wedding would, but since the footage wasn't "Beautiful", they probably didn't think I spent much time on it. I did. Alot.

Shaun Forsdyke April 23rd, 2013 01:04 PM

I agree fully David. I've had similar situations to what you described.

My problem is that I am directing/editing music videos for unsigned musicians so a lot of the time I am dealing with first timers/non professionals.

I am trying to offer a contract that doesn't screw me over and also doesn't frighten any client away (since I am dealing with them as an individual and not a manager/agent).

So I think it's within my interest to offer a free first edit but I need to be clear on what that entails as I am dealing with people that, like you mentioned, certainly do not understand editing.

Chris Medico April 23rd, 2013 01:07 PM

Can you not say that "XXX of edit time for revisions is included and revisions beyond that time are billable at $YY"??

That is much less vague than "reasonable" or "minor".

Don Bloom April 23rd, 2013 01:20 PM

I have to agree with Chris. In the corporate work I do when I do an edit (sometimes I just hand off RAW files to them) I have specified a certain number of edits and over that they pay. For weddings, they don't get a say so. I've been doing weddings long enough that I know and they know that I know what to include and what to leave out. Corporate though, I'll give them an opportunity to make a couple of changes. Usually they'll get 2 chances at it and more than that they pay.
My idea of reasonable and minor might very well be different than yours.

Shaun Forsdyke April 23rd, 2013 01:26 PM

Great idea Chris

Upon completion of the video. The video file will be uploaded and available for the client to download. The client can then request editorial changes. Five hours of edit time for revisions are included. The client must include all requested changes in one email and within 5 days of the posting of the video for download. Revisions beyond that time or within a second email are billable at £XX per hour"

Chris Medico April 23rd, 2013 01:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shaun Forsdyke (Post 1792146)
Great idea Chris

Upon completion of the video. The video file will be uploaded and available for the client to download. The client can then request editorial changes. Five hours of edit time for revisions are included. The client must include all requested changes in one email and within 5 days of the posting of the video for download. Revisions beyond that time or within a second email are billable at £XX per hour"

That gives you limits that are objectively measurable. Much better than before. That amount seems quite generous though.

Shaun Forsdyke April 23rd, 2013 01:35 PM

:)

Cheers for all the help everyone.

Roger Van Duyn April 25th, 2013 06:05 AM

Just be sure to lay a time code track on that first video file. You'll probably need to explain to them how it is so much more efficient for them to give you the precise in and out points in minutes: seconds: frames. So much better than them trying to describe: "that part where so and so walks in and says..."

And of course they can put their comments in too.

Clients (at least my corporate ones) who are serious about getting good results really like it too, once they try it and see how well using the time code works.

Shaun Forsdyke April 25th, 2013 08:44 AM

Great idea Roger. Thanks.

2ND Question

Being credited in a music video as director. Some videos have credits and some don't. Again, something to stipulate in the contract but what is the general thought on that? Is it a bit demanding/crass/ego fulfilling to want a credit (even if its just within the Vimeo/YT description?)

Chris Davis April 25th, 2013 09:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Don Bloom (Post 1792144)
Usually they'll get 2 chances at it and more than that they pay.

That's my policy. Two free edits (well, included in the original estimate) and after that they're paying extra. All of my work is corporate.

Don Bloom April 25th, 2013 10:36 AM

I also use the TC method whenever possible. It is especially helpful with people that have a hard time explaining what they want.