DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Taking Care of Business (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/taking-care-business/)
-   -   Promo is too expensive to produce within clients budget. (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/taking-care-business/524841-promo-too-expensive-produce-within-clients-budget.html)

Darren Levine September 15th, 2014 08:41 AM

Re: Promo is too expensive to produce within clients budget.

I would also be of the mind for the client to handle the talent, especially considering the budget constraints, if you start trying clever ways to get cheaper/free talent, and something does go wrong, it's your fault even though you were just doing what was necessary. If the client insists, than i'd put it in writing exactly how you have proposed to the client that you'll attain this talent and that he agrees that it's not standard practice and the same guarentees can not be made. You know, cover your butt type stuff...

And since you're in NYC, i can offer a hand, whether it be just to meet up for a coffee and hash things out, or be on your crew.

Kajito Nagib September 15th, 2014 10:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brian Drysdale (Post 1861533)
A common method I've come across in this instance is for the client to be responsible for finding extras.

Yes I suggested this to him. Good idea to get the clients involved in a project thanks.

Kajito Nagib September 15th, 2014 10:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ken Diewert (Post 1861498)
A simple spreadsheet will make it clear that this project is near impossible to do profitably with that scope and budget.

I gave him a line-item estimate so he'll know upfront the cost of putting his promo together:

1. 23 talents +3 dogs $3,200 (includes talents, dogs includes lunch)

2. Gear rental $800 (I have most of the equipment needed however I few things I will have to rent like more lights, atomos monitor, data backup device and special lens etc)

3. Permits for outdoors $300 (probably won't need to charge him for a permit but it's included just in case)

4. Venue or location $1,100 1 full day (classroom setting including chairs desk etc)

5. Crew $600 (I'll need 2 assistants to help me out for two full days)

6. Stock music $200

7. Animator (I don't have a quote from him yet since I need to know more detail like a board or at least detailed description)

8. Transportation for two days $300

9. + my fee:-)

Kajito Nagib September 15th, 2014 10:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Darren Levine (Post 1861543)

And since you're in NYC, i can offer a hand, whether it be just to meet up for a coffee and hash things out, or be on your crew.

Ok definitely! I will PM you and let you know.