DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Taking Care of Business (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/taking-care-business/)
-   -   Ever Turned Down Work after committing? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/taking-care-business/526194-ever-turned-down-work-after-committing.html)

Caleb Reynolds December 23rd, 2014 03:32 PM

Ever Turned Down Work after committing?

This is my last resort.

I've got a 6 hour seminar I edited. The sound and video was so bad...I really wanted to back out of this edit solely because I didn't want my name on the piece of $%#!

Well, I got through it. And did the best I could. But if this happens again, do you all recommend having a rider in contract that has a minimum quality clause?

Don Bloom December 23rd, 2014 04:21 PM

Re: Ever Turned Down Work after committing?

Well, I got through it. And did the best I could. But if this happens again, do you all recommend having a rider in contract that has a minimum quality clause?

Not if you want to continue to work. At least in my 31 years as a cameraman and editor I've edited some real crap but guess what. The clients knew it was crap and frankly I got a lot of work shooting seminars for those clients because they came to realize that by hiring a professional they wouldn't have crap.
As for a minimum quality clause, who's to say what the minimum is? You either do the work or not and yeah, I've turned work away from clients that were a real PITA and wouldn't listen to reason but do that too many times and pretty soon they'll stop hiring you.
OF course maybe they don't really care about the quality and just want it on "tape". Whos to say.

Caleb Reynolds December 23rd, 2014 04:25 PM

Thank you! They do want to hire me to shoot the next one.

Phil Gorman December 23rd, 2014 10:46 PM

unfortunately yes and unfortunately completely true.
i was approached to edit a series of safety\training videos that had a very good chance of leading towards a lot more work. speaking with the client i had a strong indication that they were a very "alpha-personality" with a reasonable level of understanding of the technical requirements. The audio and video had already been recorded by a previous contractor who "declined the editing". when i asked for the footage and the script i was given a cd (not dvd) with a 2 hour 350 mb video exported from a powerpoint presentation. Yes, a powerpoint presentation. This is what she wanted me to use to edit a broadcast quality corporate video. And i was expected to use this as there was no written script. And then the hourly "crazy lady" phone calls started. i returned everything i had been given and explained why i could not complete this project.

Paul R Johnson December 24th, 2014 08:00 AM

It is NOT a client's fault for not understanding. This is part of the job, and communication skills are an important aspect of our work. Once they do understand, the choices are then theirs to make and they carry the can. Education shouldn't be part of the remit, but often is!

Andrew Smith December 25th, 2014 08:20 AM

Let them know that there are issues, and that you'll do as much as possible to compensate for the shortcomings in the material that you have been supplied with. That way the client gets a heads-up as early as possible, and also knows that you are on-side with them in making the best end product possible.

Andrew

Phil Goetz December 25th, 2014 12:48 PM

Free work?

Caleb Reynolds March 3rd, 2015 05:23 PM

No..it was paid.

Thank you everyone for yall's feedback!

Tim Paynter March 4th, 2015 03:06 AM

Turn it down. Your name is going on that. Suggest they hire you for the next one. Best to be honest about the truth, there is only so much you can do with horrible recording.