DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Taking Care of Business (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/taking-care-business/)
-   -   Best credit card for small businesses (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/taking-care-business/528616-best-credit-card-small-businesses.html)

Ervin Farkas June 2nd, 2015 08:15 PM

Best credit card for small businesses

I decided to get a credit card for my small business (after my VISA ATM card was used in Beirut, Lebanon last week - true story, I have the bank statement to prove it).

What is your experience? I am really not looking for huge rewards like sky miles, and I only spend a couple hundred dollars a month for parking, occasional business meals. I don't need to spend a lot on equipment rental or purchases.

Thank you,

Vince Pachiano June 2nd, 2015 11:17 PM

Re: Best credit card for small businesses

This website will give you the best card based upon your spending

Credit Card Tune-Up: Find credit card rewards for your expenses - 2015

Dylan Couper June 3rd, 2015 04:16 PM

I like AmEx Platinum. It's crazy expensive, but gives you airport VIP lounge access across the world and concierge service if you need anything from a pink limo stuffed with chorizo sausages to a shaved poodle. Plus theft insurance on anything you buy with it for 2 years.

The downside is many shops, including mine, won't take AmEx because the fees are super high. For everything else, I use Visa.

Mike Watson June 4th, 2015 07:36 AM

I track this website:

The Points Guy ? Maximize Your Frequent Flyer Miles & Travel Points

I churn once every couple years based on needs. Last year I got a personal Southwest Rapid Rewards Visa and a business SWRR Visa, got 50k mile bonus on each, ended up with 100k miles and a free companion pass for two years.

I keep a Costco AmEx card (personal and business) because I shop at Costco a lot.

We just added a Barclay card (personal and business) to the mix that came with a bonus of several hundred dollars each card and has no fee on international purchases.

If you are not into the points game, and you pay them off every month, then it doesn't really matter, just get whatever your bank offers.

Tom Sheats June 8th, 2015 12:19 PM

I have VISA, MasterCard, and American Express, but would recommend Blue by American Express. There is no annual fee. American Express seems to offer a level of protection for things like internet purchases and hotel reservations. They also offer a conflict resolution process that I've taken advantage of a couple of times.

My card is issued to me as an individual; they may not issue them to businesses.

I have no idea how it compares with others as far as interest rates and points programs. I almost always pay off the monthly balance. As for points, they might as well be Monopoly money as far as I'm concerned.

Mike Watson June 8th, 2015 10:41 PM

I used to think that about Monopoly Money. The card I signed up for three months ago that I mention above - has given me $650 in cash rewards. In three months. Cash. Not like "here's $650 to spend on a $5000 purchase at flowers.com" but just back $650 out of my bill.

It's worth it to at least look into the points game.

Tom Sheats June 10th, 2015 01:51 PM

Oh, I'm not turning my nose up at cash back. The VISA card I use for everyday purchases has a cash-back program. In fact, I bought my last camera with that card (from a local retailer, not online,) to get the cash back. The "Monopoly money" comment was referring to American Express' points program. I have no idea what the points I've accrued are worth or what they can be redeemed for.

I guess the point I was trying to make is that for someone who travels or makes internet purchases, an American Express card is good to have. The Blue card has no annual fee, but may not have the perks that some people think are important and might be willing to pay a fee for.

The annual fee for a card issued to a business might be tax-deductible, but now I'm probably going off topic.

Ervin Farkas June 11th, 2015 01:54 PM

My preferred personal credit card is American Express. I have one from Costco and love the cash back; also had a few disputes and for the most part Amex ruled in my favor, refunded my money.

The problem with Amex though, is that it's not accepted at the places where I need a card most: small restaurants, automated parking pay points. I know and understand why, it's because Amex retains a higher percentage of the $ amount... so I had to look for something else.

I stopped by my local bank (they do not offer credit cards) and asked them what they recommend. They do have a VISA they recommend, so I picked up an application, filled it out and dropped it off right there. They also do some of the customer service for that card locally, which is another thing I looked for.

Thanks for all the responses.

Vince Pachiano June 11th, 2015 02:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ervin Farkas (Post 1889130)
My preferred personal credit card is American Express. I have one from Costco and love the cash back;

FYI - Costco & American Express are parting ways soon.
Costco has teamed up with Citi Visa, and will be offering a card with similar terms

Ervin Farkas June 11th, 2015 07:55 PM

Yes I heard that and it makes me sad... I got used to my Amex... I don't think any other card provider comes even close when it comes to customer service.