DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Taking Care of Business (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/taking-care-business/)
-   -   How Do I Earn Money To Get My First DV Camera? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/taking-care-business/5735-how-do-i-earn-money-get-my-first-dv-camera.html)

Chad Michael Mallett December 31st, 2002 08:49 AM

How Do I Earn Money To Get My First DV Camera?

I want the XL1s, but I am yet to save up enough. Any suggestions? Thanks people!

Kevin Burnfield December 31st, 2002 09:24 AM

Wow. A loaded question...

(I will hold back references to the oldest profession and criminal activities for now... : )

What's your situation? Got any credit cards? Got a job? What are your expenses?

My mother and wife would say "figure out how much you need and how much you have to set aside each week for it and save your money....."

I might say "can you get a credit card?" but not knowing your situation I can't say.

what's your situation?

Mark Argerake December 31st, 2002 09:27 AM

Simple answer: get an extra job to save up.

Risky answer: If you have any experience filming anything, start selling yourself and lining up jobs. If you've got the confidence in your ability you can take down payments for your services. Before your first gig, buy the camera and equiptment with what cash you have and any cash you may have gotten as a down payment and finance the rest (credit card??) . Keep working to pay off the debt. Like I said it's risky and generally a longshot to get this method to work, but you gotta start somewhere and somehow.

Good luck ~ hope it all works out.

Dylan Couper December 31st, 2002 10:50 AM

What do you need one for? What do you plan on shooting?

Make money the same way the rest of us make money. Work more, sell personal items you don't need (TV, car, wife).

Robert Knecht Schmidt December 31st, 2002 01:05 PM

If your aim is digital movie making, my suggestion is to work on everything else except the equipment: script, budget, relationships with actors you would like to work with, commitments from friends to work crew, contacts and scouting for locations and sets and props. Once a solid plan is firmly in place, you'll assuredly have little problem finding someone to partner with who will be willing to produce your movie and get your production the necessary DV equipment or better. This is especially true since you live in a populous area.

I own all my own DV equipment and I for one would be delighted to provide it at little or no cost to someone who came to me with a good enough idea for a movie they wanted to make.

Paul Sedillo December 31st, 2002 01:34 PM

<<<-- Originally posted by Dylan Couper : What do you need one for? What do you plan on shooting?

Make money the same way the rest of us make money. Work more, sell personal items you don't need (TV, car, wife). -->>>

Hmmm..."wife" :)

I guess it depends on the day...

Dylan Couper December 31st, 2002 02:55 PM

<<<-- Originally posted by Paul Sedillo : <<<-- Originally posted by Dylan Couper : What do you need one for? What do you plan on shooting?

Make money the same way the rest of us make money. Work more, sell personal items you don't need (TV, car, wife). -->>>

Hmmm..."wife" :)

I guess it depends on the day... -->>>

Oops, did I say "wife"? :)

Robert makes a good point about not needing a camera in some cases. If you came to me with a complete movie ready to go (location, actors, script, etc..), I would gladly provide the cameras, lighting, sound equipment, etc... At no cost if it was a fun project and I liked the idea, or for a percentage of the profit if it was a commerical venture.

Chad Michael Mallett December 31st, 2002 04:22 PM

Thanks to all of you!

I am mentally ill. Pretty severe with anxiety and depression. I am suicidal every so often. So I am on SSI. I try working movie jobs, but no one wants me driving to Texas. I live in Louisiana. When I say no one. I mean Producers and people that do the hiring and firing. They said because I don't have any experience they rather not put up anything for me. I said I'd work for free. I want to work for free. God imagine doing something that takes the pain away for just a day. No crying, no wanting to overdose, no wanting to hurt myself. No reminders that I am dead inside and only got a hand ful of people that care about me. Thanks for all your help. I will start putting away extra money to save up and some of your other suggestions will be used. I have old stuff I shall sell and more! Thanks! Also can't get credit cards because the whole poor thing, lol. I barely can afford the internet.

Jeff Donald December 31st, 2002 04:49 PM

Hi Chad,

Care and concern comes in many forms. Please keep us posted on your progress towards acquiring your first DV camera. Some good suggestions have been made on how to get save and get your camera. Your not the first person who has posted here and had to wait and save to get their camera. We've all been at that point at one time or another. I know I have. Set some realistic, attainable goals for yourself. Keep us posted on your progress and feel free to ask questions. Remember, we're here to help if we can.

Jeff

Chad Michael Mallett December 31st, 2002 06:24 PM

Thanks Jeff!

I appreciate what you said to me. It means a lot to me that you guys posted that much! lol. I was so excited. I have a world where I have tons of friends and maybe family like big brothers and stuff. Father figures. Thanks. BTW I am 23 and gonna be there when I am 25. I set that a goal!

Dylan Couper December 31st, 2002 08:22 PM

Dude, you will be able to find people in your area that will accept your help if you want to work for free. Hit local video production companies and drop off a resume and cover letter. Always be reliable and your name will get around, especially if you work for free! Once your foot is in the door...

Adrian Douglas December 31st, 2002 08:52 PM

Chad,

For a first camera why don't you set your sights on something a little cheaper. Sony and Panasonic make some excellent camera that don't cost as much as the XL1/s. You could also look at getting something second hand. There are a lot od VX1000s, GL1s, XL1s floating around. Either of these options will get you shooting quicker and maybe even making money for a new camera. Think small steps my friend, Rome or Spielburg wasn't built overnight

Just stick with it and you'll get there.

Ken Tanaka January 1st, 2003 02:50 AM

Chad,
Welcome to our community and Happy New Year!

I second Adrian's recommendation to start with a less ambitious camera if money is tight. Today even a 1-chip camera will enable you to get excellent results while you're getting the hang of planning and framing shots. As an ex-boss once told me, "Don't let the best get the better of the good". The most important part is to just get a good, reliable camera in your hands and start shooting. There are few activities that are better for the mind and soul than capturing what you see.

The wonderful aspect of digital video is that you don't need a crew and full-blown rigamarole to get good results. Yes, you'll read alot here about some very intricate and elaborate production and post-production techniques. But keep in mind that many of us have been doing this for a long time and, in some cases, make our livings from this work.

For tips and inspiration get a copy of "The Little Digital Video Book" http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/showthrea...&threadid=2427. It's a wonderful, inexpensive guide for newcomers.

Steve Klusman January 3rd, 2003 01:29 AM

Chad, I think Ken and Adrian are right on. My wife and I made our first documentary with an $800 JVC camera and a $50 microphone, and it was good enough to get picked up by an independent film series in Seattle. Here's the website to prove it. (See the June 3rd entry.)

http://www.thewarrenreport.com/TWRdistinguishing.php

The one caution I'd have with a buying a less expensive camera is just to make sure it allows you to attach an external micrphone. The fact is that digital video is so good that you can do a lot with out much money at all. Just get a camera and start shooting!

Chad Michael Mallett January 3rd, 2003 09:03 PM

Wow thanks Klusman

I will look at cameras today. I just thought I'd go a step farther. I guess it sounds like I was spitting on most of my brothers and sisters. I didn't mean any disrespect by expecting to get a nice camera off the bat. My camera takes a microphone. I will look into doing films now. Thanks!!! Also the local theatre is looking forward to me doing an improv play.