DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Taking Care of Business (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/taking-care-business/)
-   -   Conflict of Production companies in an event - are they allowed to ask for this? ... (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/taking-care-business/58745-conflict-production-companies-event-they-allowed-ask.html)

Dan Farzad January 20th, 2006 01:30 PM

Conflict of Production companies in an event - are they allowed to ask for this? ...

I was as and independent contractor to make a video for a certain organization.
At the night of their Banquet they have a company that will take care of their video and photo that night.
the company is requiring the organization that has hired me not to give myself any credit on the video b/c they (the videographer) will not feel comfortable or it might be a conflict of interest.

Does he have any right to ask for this?

Andrew Khalil January 20th, 2006 01:43 PM

sorry, I don't really understand what's happening - are you saying you're working for an video/photo company or are you making a video for one company with another video company present?

I'm assuming you're making a video for one company who has also hired another company to take care of video/photos (why are there 2?) In that case, if it's the client that doesn't want you to give yourself credit because of the other company, I would look into what's going on and why there are two conflicting companies to begin with.
I'm thinking you may get more answers in the taking care of business forum, but please explain the situation a bit more.

Steve House January 20th, 2006 01:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dan Farzad
I was as and independent contractor to make a video for a certain organization.
At the night of their Banquet they have a company that will take care of their video and photo that night.
the company is requiring the organization that has hired me not to give myself any credit on the video b/c they (the videographer) will not feel comfortable or it might be a conflict of interest.

Does he have any right to ask for this?

When in doubt, ask a lawyer (no, I'm not one).

You were hired by the organization in question to video the banquet? They hired two production companies, you and someone else, to cover the same event???? If so, I'd say he has the right to ask to use your footage without credit but you'd have the right to refuse permission for the other company to use any of your footage. Your relationship is with the company that hired you, not someone else they also hired and as a contractor you own the copyright on the footage you shoot unless your contract spells out it is a "work for hire." For that matter, you'd have the right to make the same demands of him that he's making of you.

Don Donatello January 20th, 2006 10:27 PM

would you really want CREDIT ?
is it going to be that good ?
you can list it on resume - grab sample from it ..

IMO get payed good $$ & put you name only on worth while projects..

Dan Farzad January 22nd, 2006 02:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Don Donatello
would you really want CREDIT ?
is it going to be that good ?
you can list it on resume - grab sample from it ..

IMO get payed good $$ & put you name only on worth while projects..

Is it pretty good. charged OK for it. The banquet they are playing it at costs $2600 per couple and they have the major players in the city there. y not get credit>?

Dan Farzad January 22nd, 2006 02:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Steve House
When in doubt, ask a lawyer (no, I'm not one).

You were hired by the organization in question to video the banquet? They hired two production companies, you and someone else, to cover the same event???? If so, I'd say he has the right to ask to use your footage without credit but you'd have the right to refuse permission for the other company to use any of your footage. Your relationship is with the company that hired you, not someone else they also hired and as a contractor you own the copyright on the footage you shoot unless your contract spells out it is a "work for hire." For that matter, you'd have the right to make the same demands of him that he's making of you.

The story is long and frustrating, basically the company they "hired" called PRES PROS does their events for free just for exposure and I can Not do that. So now that they have them for free anything they say goes!!!
I was hired to make a promotional video for them that will be played at the banquet. The company covering the banquet says its conflict of interest and I wont let it play unless no credits are mensioned.

the funny thing is that i am doing a presentation for a wedding today (the bride and groom's pic show to be played while serving dinner) and PRES PROS are doing the wedding coverage. They found out about the presentation and told the wedding planner that if he puts any credits we will leave the party!!!
so i didnt give my company any credits.

Is it just me or these people are on dope . do they really think that by these things they will shot me down as a competator?

Mike F Smith January 23rd, 2006 12:50 AM

What about this

How many people are really goiing to look at the credits? Not many. The rumor or story of how you are being treated could be much better advertising than having your name on the credits. Maybe you can swing it to your advantage. Now if you could get them to somehow storm out of the shoot that would be really good.

Mike

Chris Hurd January 23rd, 2006 12:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mike F Smith
if you could get them to somehow storm out of the shoot that would be really good.

No. That sort of thing is never good, for anybody.

Dan Farzad January 23rd, 2006 04:12 AM

I am the type that wants to always skip trouble and conflicts. but sometimes you have to get your way or people will eat you up.

Here is the new agreement between me and the employee i know you guys gonne love this.

The singer for their banquet is a world renown singer who only does HUGE concerts. so footages of him shot by my company makes good demo reel. i offered to do the video and presentation that day free of charge just like Pres Pros and ofcourse full credit on video. Plus i will pass demo reels on DVD between people that are there. Now this is hard core credit building :)

Barry Werger January 23rd, 2006 04:22 AM

Do it the Bully Hill way!

Instead of credits, just throw this on the screen: "They can take my name and my heritage, but they can't get my goat"

And hire a goat?

Steve House January 23rd, 2006 11:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dan Farzad

The singer for their banquet is a world renown singer who only does HUGE concerts. so footages of him shot by my company makes good demo reel. i offered to do the video and presentation that day free of charge just like Pres Pros and ofcourse full credit on video. Plus i will pass demo reels on DVD between people that are there. Now this is hard core credit building :)

Oooops - be very very careful there. If you shoot him you may find you won't be able to use the video at all! Professional performers are extremely picky about where the likenesses are used and any use of them may well be covered by guild or union rules. I was talking to the organizer of a music festival in my area just a shotrt time ago about shooting some performance video of the concert. One problem is that a number of the performers are professionals and members of the AFM - their contract allows them to perform in the festival but any recording, photography, or video is explicitly forbidden except for clips of less than 30 seconds by the news media aired on the day of show only. So clear it in advance with the singer's agent that you can video his performance - the banquet organizers CAN NOT clear it for you and I would be very surprised if your video would be covered by his contract with the banquet organizers.

Dan Farzad January 23rd, 2006 03:00 PM

ok thanx for the tip i will look into it and clerify it.
just over all what would you guys have done in this situation?
do u think for a 23 year old i handled the situation well enough?

K. Forman January 23rd, 2006 03:16 PM

People with more years than you might have even handled it worse. I would have simply asked for either my credit, or extra cash.