DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Taking Care of Business (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/taking-care-business/)
-   -   Permits (New Orleans) (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/taking-care-business/5885-permits-new-orleans.html)

Jim Ferguson January 7th, 2003 07:51 PM

Permits (New Orleans)

Hello. . .
I'm preparing for my short to be shot significantly on the street. I've never shot in public in the city.
I will be shooting in the evenings and nights in New Orleans. Does anyone know anything about permits. Perhaps, not specifically for NOLA but for any city in general. This film is extremely low budget. I can't afford to give all my funds to the city.
I'll have several high power lights and a cast and crew of roughly a dozen people. I'll have a dolly and a jib. In other words, I will not be very well hidden so the chances are, the cops will see me!
Any info is greatly appreciated.

Also: I'm still looking for my cast and crew. If anyone's in the New Orleans area and wants to join on, let me know. I can't afford to pay anyone, but the short will get exposure at festivals, etc. I know there are a couple people out there locally. Let me know if your interested.

Thank you all . . . Jim

Ken Tanaka January 7th, 2003 08:35 PM

Jim,
Each city has it's own rules concerning this sort of thing. With such a big crew it's best to check first rather than hit a problem on-site.

In case you've not seen this, here's a link to the New Orleans Film Office which might be helpful to you.

Jim Ferguson January 8th, 2003 12:36 AM

Who would I ask? Any specific department of the city?
Thank you.

Ken Tanaka January 8th, 2003 12:49 AM

Most major cities like the idea of having a film shot in their confines for two reasons. First, it often means jobs for local crews. Second it means exposure. It looks like N.O. is very open to such projects. Here in Chicago, the city has a dedicated film office staffed by folks who can help projects navigate permits, locations, support services, etc.

I'd just call your city hall (504-565-6400) and ask to speak with someone in the "film office". Clearly you have one. Run your plans by them and see what they say. They'll probably want some shot / script detail but you might be surprised at how cooperative and helpful they may be, even for a low-budget production.

Plus, if you plan to produce future projects in the area it doesn't hurt to get to know them and have them become familiar with you. As you can see by the site, part of their job is to help connect local talent and businesses with film/video projects. Perhaps one day you'll get hitched with a very interesting big-budget project through that office. Either way, at least you'll have a better idea of what you're up against from a municipal perspective.

Jim Ferguson January 8th, 2003 11:00 AM

Ken, I just want to tell you that you've been an immense help with all of my questions. I'm glad you're here. Thank you.
Jim

gateway1 January 11th, 2003 07:20 PM

It really all depends what your wanting to shoot down here (I live in N.O. btw)

If your shooting downtown then keep your cam and equipment away from city buildings (i.e. city hall and courts etc...) and landmarks like the Dome and Arena. You increase your chances of getting screwed around with by the cops.

Dont even attempt to shoot on a levee, the levee patrol will be after you in a heart beat.

Most parks are ok if you get permission first.

Shooting in neighborhoods can be a bit tricky, people down here LOVE to complain so keep that in mind.

Anything else and you should be ok.