DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Taking Care of Business (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/taking-care-business/)
-   -   Best places to sell HD footage! (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/taking-care-business/59117-best-places-sell-hd-footage.html)

Paulo Teixeira January 25th, 2006 04:53 PM

Best places to sell HD footage!

Several months ago their was a posting by Jason Rosenfeld asking for HD footage claiming that you will receive over 300 dollars per 5 minute clip. I have been having trouble trying to reach him through this website so maybe some of you who have done business with him can tell us if he is serious. Are their other companies that buy HD footage as well? Also months ago I posted on another web forum about any places that buys HD stock footage and a poster emailed me this website www.webuyhd.com They give you 75 dollars per tape with 2 clips of 31 minutes on each tape. You can try this company if some of you want to sell your stock footage but be advised that they want full rights to the footage which to me, is not a good idea since they don’t offer enough cash.

I will repeat my question again, is their better companies than webuyhd.com? And have anybody have any luck with Jason Rosenfeld?

Thanks in advance and sorry if this topic was already discussed.

Nick Hiltgen January 25th, 2006 06:16 PM

webuyhd seems pretty cheap, I mean I guess if you happen to be in the area anyhow then it might not be such a bad idea but if you use master quality tapes that's 15 bucks right there which means you'll only be making 60 bucks per hour of footage.

Shannon Rawls January 25th, 2006 08:42 PM

don't forget shipping.

Keith Wakeham January 26th, 2006 08:50 AM

But considering it isn't really a large amount of work depending on how picky these guys are. Theirs no lighting to do, you set the cam on a tripod, do some adjustments and wait half an hour then do it again somewhere else.

Their are lots of places that sell stock footage online, might want to check with them if they are also buying stock too.

Meryem Ersoz January 26th, 2006 11:01 AM

it actually sounds easier than it is....i did a bunch of 5-minute lockdowns, and what a $#%&%$ pain. it was early (and i mean early!!!!) morning, off-season in one of the prettiest mountain sites around here. you get planes flying through your audio, and towards the end, this guy with bronchitis shows up on my "set," hacking his way through an early-morning hike when he should have been in bed. the thing about doing a 30-minute lockdown and then going away is that then you'll also have to review this boredom, to make sure it's useable.

seems like a lot of time spent for the cost of a dinner out.....

Keith Wakeham January 26th, 2006 06:50 PM

Your entirely right.

And I gotta learn to stop commenting on things I know nothing about. Sorry.

I wonder if their isn't any commission based sites out they. They showcase a sample and when they sell it you get a percentage and the host site gets a percentage. That would be neat I think and a good resource.

Meryem Ersoz January 26th, 2006 07:41 PM

hey, keith, not trying to say "don't do it," but rather, here's a few things to expect!

every bit of time i spend behind a camera is a learning experience--sometimes what i learn is that i should have refused certain projects! so i'll know better next time how i want to spend my time....if it appeals to you, go for it...just, sometimes the cold bucket of water over your head up front feels better than the bucket of water after you've spent your time and effort.....

Keith Wakeham January 26th, 2006 07:53 PM

Some good advice, but luckily I'm just an engineer and not a film maker, so I really shouldn't be sticking my nose in here. ;)

Although that bucket-o-water analogy can be applied to lots of things.

Matthew Jones January 26th, 2006 08:42 PM

I think this might be an easy gig for me, living in Alaska. I could get nature shots like the ones displayed on their site within five miles of my house in any direction. There is a serious problem with planes flying over and ruining the audio, though.

Paulo Teixeira January 26th, 2006 09:33 PM

Meryem Ersoz,
Were you selling that footage you shot to a stock company?

Meryem Ersoz January 26th, 2006 10:07 PM

not exactly. i was shooting nature backgrounds for scrolling product endorsements for a live display. but i thought, here's an idea, i could possibly sell these as stock footage and gave it a tepid effort, but once again, more trouble than it's worth, considering how many more interesting projects i have to work on. i thought it could be cool, but locked-down long takes are like watching paint dry or waiting for the kettle to boil. sure, the hike in was fun, but sitting there without fidgeting or sneezing, monitoring audio, was not! i did get some pretty shots out of it, though. anybody need any high alpine mountains and lakes? or dawn breaking over boulder, CO?

John Kang March 8th, 2006 10:26 AM

Hey guys,

I learned about this site from a forum on Adobe.

It's called thewindowchannel.com

They pay for stock footage. It has to be five minutes in length. Locked. I just checked it out and now they are allowing for multiple locked shots as long as it's five minutes in length. Another point is that they are accepting other types of scenery now. It used to be nature shots, if I remember, now it's anything that will hold someone's interest.

The price for accepted HD footage is a $300 payment and $150 payment for HDV content. Your accepted clip will be paid a one time payment which also includes royalties for future airing of your accepted clip. I do see something about $35.00 being deducted from your bank for transfer fees...They are adding new payment rates with new standards so the new Panasonic HVX might have a better payment...However, I did post a message here (which did not get to be posted) which stated that the Sony FX-1 actually has more pixel resolution then the HVX...Not sure if that's true...

In the past, they said the tape had to be submitted on mini DV for HDV content, now I see that they will accept DVD. They will pay more for clips from a HD camera and a little less for HDV.

I had thought about doing this the first time I got my FX-1 and then tried locking my camera for five minutes. It's not enjoyable is all I can say. You do need a place where you can lock of a camera for five minutes and not have issues like people bumping into your camera or sounds that are distracting to the scenery you are trying to have a natural feel with in sound and video...

Good luck.

Paulo Teixeira March 20th, 2006 02:48 PM

John Kang,
Thank You for that link. I may try it out. All I need is to see if I have a clip that is 5 minutes since my average is 1 to 3 minutes. I knew I should have done longer but ah well.

OH and how do you navigate the site? I can only watch the videos.

John Kang March 20th, 2006 05:57 PM

Hi Paulo,

Actually, you might want to hold off on submitting any clips to Thewindowchannel.com.

I went back to take a look at the site. They do have some nice hd images but not much showing.

I got curious and did a search on the company. It doesn't seem to be a company at all.

The internet domain registration is to MKPhotography (Michael Knight.)

Does anyone have any dealings with MK or TheWindowChannel.com?

Steve, if you're reading this, could you tell us anymore about this site?

Jason Rosenfeld April 2nd, 2006 10:27 PM

Still looking but a more limited search.

I've been directed to limit my search to 1080p source material, which has considerably reduced the amount of eligible material.

On the other hand, I have the ability to offer considerably more for 1080p.

I'll keep you posted.