DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Taking Care of Business (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/taking-care-business/)
-   -   Market for used Canon XL-H1? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/taking-care-business/59333-market-used-canon-xl-h1.html)

Joe Desmond January 28th, 2006 05:14 PM

Market for used Canon XL-H1?

Just watched the sale of the first XL H1 go down.

Wondering: Would anyone here be interested in buying a slightly used XL H1?

Slightly Used: A period of about a month, 30 days total. Used continuously for only 5-6 days, 8 hours at a time. And slightly used for a day or two for 1-2 hours at a time.
= Probably totalling less than 10-12 hours of actual usage of the HD-SDI output.

IN CALIFORNIA. THE SAN FRANCISCO BAY AREA,...

Is this of interest to anyone?

Cheers. Thanks!

Eric Brown January 28th, 2006 05:25 PM

Just curious, Joe. What makes you want to sell the camera?

Joe Desmond January 28th, 2006 05:29 PM

Oh. Sorry. I should have clarified it in the first post.

I am a student, I work in a grocery store, I don't make much. I NEED the camera to shoot a feature.

I can't find any rental houses nearby (San Francisco Bay Area) nor do I think it is extremely ergonomic price-wise to rent ($300ish per/day?... Besides, I need it for 2 days at a time, on weekends, etc...)...

So I figured, I will buy it for a month. Make the first payment or two, pay the interest. Then I will SELL it for a bit of a loss.

I hope that makes sense. Any suggestions, tips, or if anyone is interested, please get back to me.

I would prefer to do this deal face to face, someone local, but however it is usually done here is OK...

Cheers, and THANKS!

David Mintzer January 28th, 2006 06:17 PM

Depends on price and usage. It's a given that you have pampered it.

Joe Desmond January 28th, 2006 06:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Joe Desmond
Just watched the sale of the first XL H1 go down.
= Probably totalling less than 10-12 hours of actual usage of the HD-SDI output.

10-12 hours of shooting. Direct output through SDI.
Is $8,500 reasonable?

Ash Greyson January 28th, 2006 07:27 PM

As more stock gets out the street price will go down a little. Expect to take a 10%+ hit on whatever you pay. If you bought it today for $9000, I expect in a month you would get no more than $8100 max... In California you will be eating $700+ in tax as well so you would be paying $1500 - $2000 for a month. Lots of places have day rental rates but also weekly and monthly rentals as well. The XLH is prolly in high demand so there wont be as much of a discount but it would not cost you $300 a day for a months use. If you really only needed it for 5-6 days... might as well rent it...

ash =o)

Evan C. King January 29th, 2006 04:21 AM

rent the jvc

Joe Desmond January 29th, 2006 04:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Evan C. King
rent the jvc

Talk about random?

What JVC?

Eric Brown January 29th, 2006 10:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Evan C. King
rent the jvc

Evan, got to give the man a bit more info as to why he should do that. Both the Canon and the JVC are great cameras. He should figure out which one best suits his needs.

Nick Hiltgen January 30th, 2006 01:04 AM

Joe I know over at indie rentals they just got a couple of them in, you should check that out as an option as well.

indierentals.com

Meryem Ersoz January 30th, 2006 09:41 AM

this listing needs to get outta the classifieds! when it comes up, i keep thinking someone is actually selling a used XL-H1, even though i promised myself i'd wait awhile until prices came in....

feeling the magnetic pull of a new camera purchase.....stop me now!

Chris Hurd January 30th, 2006 09:58 AM

I agree with Rob, this really doesn't belong in Classifieds since it's not an actual listing, so I have moved it to our Business forum.

Meryem Ersoz January 30th, 2006 10:24 AM

rob???? i've been called a few things in my day, but that's a first....

Emre Safak January 30th, 2006 10:33 AM

He thought you were going to "rob" the camera.

Joe Desmond February 3rd, 2006 04:04 PM

Still nothing... Would ANYONE here be interested in buying a slightly used XL-H1 for below the MSRP of $8999?...

Somewhere along the lines of $8500 and NO TAX?

Cheers.