DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Taking Care of Business (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/taking-care-business/)
-   -   Wedding Magazine Ad (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/taking-care-business/66439-wedding-magazine-ad.html)

Steven Davis May 2nd, 2006 07:00 AM

Wedding Magazine Ad

I'm looking for opinions on these samples I have drawn up. This will be a 2. 1/4 by 3 inch ad in a wedding vendor book, with a glossy print.

If you have time here they are.

Keep in mind they are gifs with a low resolution and my originals are much better quality.

http://droptodesign.com/test/For_Wedding_Guide/Samples/

K. Forman May 2nd, 2006 07:05 AM

I liked the 2nd and last ones the best. The only point I really had a problem with, was the stylized "D". It needs to be refined, so that it is easier to read as a "D".

Steven Davis May 2nd, 2006 07:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Keith Forman
I liked the 2nd and last ones the best. The only point I really had a problem with, was the stylized "D". It needs to be refined, so that it is easier to read as a "D".

Thanks Keith, yeah it took me a while to create my logo, I'll probably end up bending the points away from each other. Thanks Keith.

Jesse Redman May 2nd, 2006 09:05 PM

Steven,

I personally liked the ones that had the bride in them. It seemed to be more of a "call-to-action" than the one without. I also liked the flow of the second one the best.

I agree that the "D" is a little hard to catch to begin with.

The ads are all good and this is just a nit but I wouldn't put "Call Steven" in the ad. I would just put the phone number or call + the phone number. Call Steven to me makes it sound like more of a one person operation.

The more feedback you get, the better.

Good luck,

- Jesse

Steven Davis May 3rd, 2006 04:47 AM

I agree, the more the better. I've added one since I first posted, it's number 5.

Thanks for the feedback.

Jim Michael May 3rd, 2006 05:44 AM

My vote would be #2, perhaps eliminate or reduce the drop shadow on the copy and increase the copy size some considering the ad size. Maybe lighten copy a tad. Second choice #5.

Steven Davis May 3rd, 2006 06:26 AM

I should have mentioned this before, the ad size is about 3 x 2 1/4, so it's dinky. So far from here and other's I've asked, 5 seems to be the front runner.

Craig Seeman May 3rd, 2006 08:38 AM

I like 5 also but I'm concerned about the legibility of the font given the size of the ad. Have you done a print test using the size and dot pitch they'd use? It may be easy for the bride to read but what about her older parents who may be doing the shopping?

Steven Davis May 3rd, 2006 08:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Craig Seeman
I like 5 also but I'm concerned about the legibility of the font given the size of the ad. Have you done a print test using the size and dot pitch they'd use? It may be easy for the bride to read but what about her older parents who may be doing the shopping?

Good point Craig, I haven't done a print test yet, I'm one of those 'A' personality types, so I have to do things in my head single task at a time. I was trying to get over all feel done first, layout wise, then I'm going to do several type tests prints to find out what works best. You bring up a very good point.

K. Forman May 3rd, 2006 09:09 AM

Since it is for print, you will also have to deal with color bleed, number of colors, and other fun stuff. Also, some printers will need the font you used to be included with the file, and need the file in a certain format. Check with the magazine's art department to make sure, that way you aren't charged for them to fix it.

Edward Slonaker May 3rd, 2006 10:37 AM

I like number 5 as well. One thing you need to keep in mind is keeping the amount of different fonts to a minimum. Too many different fonts (and font styles) is distracting in an ad. #5, so far, is the best one.

And, yes, make sure you can keep track of all the font files to give to the printer. If it's a "specialty" font, they'll need it on file to print.

Nice ad.

PS: I'm thinking "iPod" is a registered trademark, you might want to check. Chances are you're okay, but still.....

Patti Needham May 4th, 2006 12:50 PM

A suggestion for your web site

I hope you don't mind a ladies suggestion for your site. Your demo appears that you really do photography and a little video with the stills filling up the screen and the video segments running at the bottom. You are going to be hired for your skill as a videographer and still are nice but let's see your stuff.

Steven Davis May 4th, 2006 01:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Patti Needham
I hope you don't mind a ladies suggestion for your site. Your demo appears that you really do photography and a little video with the stills filling up the screen and the video segments running at the bottom. You are going to be hired for your skill as a videographer and still are nice but let's see your stuff.

Hehe, I know, I've been meaning to replace my demo on the website. That's part one of a three part demo. I will try and replace it this weekend. My 'todo' list is so big. :} And I always welcome a ladies suggestion, afterall I have a female boss.

Steven Davis May 6th, 2006 11:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Patti Needham

I switched it out. How that be? :}