DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Taking Care of Business (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/taking-care-business/)
-   -   The Wedding Business (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/taking-care-business/7522-wedding-business.html)

Alex Kamm March 8th, 2003 01:27 AM

The Wedding Business

Okay guys I've got a question. I'm going to start doing video for weddings and I've done about 2 so far but those were givin to me. What I want to know is what was the best way you guys got your gigs? I'm gonna advertise in the newspaper unless other wise not suggested?

Should I try and contact wedding coordinators, or going to churches and putting up flyers?

Is their any advice you would give me such as equipment etc.. camcorders and wireless mic....

Frank Granovski March 8th, 2003 02:46 AM

I'm not going to answer your questions, but I want to give you a great link about shooting weddings.

http://www.videouniversity.com

Alex Kamm March 8th, 2003 05:30 AM

Are those books actually worth it. By reading it I competely here in the back of my head an infommercial.

Don Bloom March 8th, 2003 07:08 AM

I go to banquet halls, florists, churches, wedding and event coordinators, DJ's, caterers, hotels, limos services, beauty shops, nail salons, I even have a travel agency with my flyers. I talk to anyone that has ANYTHING to do with the wedding business. Some will, some won't. It's OK. I get my name out there and then if 10 people each send me 1 wedding a year, thats 10 more I wouldn't have had. Now I do more than 10, but you get the point. I have never advertised in the paper or yellow pages, to me the cost vs. return isn't enough to justify it but for others it may well be. I have 2 photography studios I work with that each send me enough work to keep me going, the problem is I am my business and I only have a 2nd shooter as a 2nd camera on a job. I don't sub out so if I get more than 1 for a day, I have to turn 1 down, but I've been doing business like that since I got into still photography in 1971 so I guess I'm not going to change now. I carry business cards and flyers EVERYWHERE, you never know who you'll meet.
Good Luck but do go to videouniversity and get the stuff they offer about weddings. It's good stuff.
Don

Rick Foxx March 8th, 2003 10:42 AM

<<<-- Originally posted by dyslexicrydaz : Are those books actually worth it. By reading it I competely here in the back of my head an infommercial. -->>>

I purchased Mitch Lang's book and video from Video University. The video is horribly outdated, and has very little useful information. The book, however, still has good information for starting an event videography business.

A book I found even more useful is "The Business of Wedding and Special Event Videography" by John Goolsby. You can buy it at the Weva store (www.weva.com). John is a multi-award winning videographer, and also one of the nicest guys you'll ever meet.

Hope that helps.

Rick Foxx
Photographic Memories

Frank Granovski March 8th, 2003 05:28 PM

There's tons of free information on that site, that's why I suggested it.

Dylan Couper March 9th, 2003 04:10 AM

Newspaper ads might possibly be the worst return for your money for a wedding production company. I'd consider a small yellow pages ad, but I'd do what Don says and talk to EVERYONE you can find that has a connection to weddings.

Jean King March 17th, 2003 11:16 AM

How-to Books

Do any of those books mentioned above speak on making money at various types of events as an event videographer? I am interested in covering other events besides weddings

Jean King

Chris Hurd March 17th, 2003 12:11 PM

The studio I ran in San Marcos from 1995 to 2000 survives (still) on plenty of business from one Yellow Pages ad. A phone book listing *always* pays off.

Jean -- another good income source from video is the dance recital market. I guess that's a whole other discussion topic. When I get time I'll pitch in on that... maube someone else who has that experience can start the new thread.