DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Taking Care of Business (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/taking-care-business/)
-   -   Local Elections and Freelance (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/taking-care-business/75386-local-elections-freelance.html)

Josh Rudy September 12th, 2006 08:31 PM

Local Elections and Freelance

I just saw a video of the local elections for senator where I live and I was thinking "Wow, that camera-person doesn't know anything" and I know I can do better. My question is; if I were to film a local election speech would it be ridiculous to think I'd be able to sell my footage to a news network? I am not sure what I will need in the way of contacts, invitations, or even a press pass. All I do know is I know I am good enough for local news broadcast and that my camera is "suitable" (XL1). If someone could please explain the steps I would need to take to be able to film freelance for news and possibly what I'll need to get started.

Thank you,
Josh

Brian Wells September 14th, 2006 09:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Josh Rudy
what I will need in the way of contacts, invitations, or even a press pass.

You could offer to tape it (free) for the political party for their own use. They won't pay you, but it would be a good way to get your foot in the door, if that's what you need.

Gary Moses September 15th, 2006 07:14 AM

Josh, when it comes to elections there are a few things to keep in mind. There are Federal Election Laws that news outlets (and other media) must adhere to in bonafide elections. They are very careful how and who they get their reporting from. Secondly the Political Party and/or the candidates organization does in fact have money to spend, especialy a Senatorial race. You could approach them either before or after you've got the footage. Just remember to get your money upfront. Once the Candidate wins or loses so goes any desire to pay you. Besides prepay is what they are used to.
Gary

Steve House September 15th, 2006 11:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Josh Rudy
...If someone could please explain the steps I would need to take to be able to film freelance for news and possibly what I'll need to get started.

Thank you,
Josh

Approach a local news outlet, TV station, or cable community-access channel and see if they'll take you on as a "stringer." That could get you credentials and admission to press conferences etc and it's at no-risk to them since they don't have you on the payroll and only pay you for material that they can use.

Josh Rudy September 15th, 2006 08:09 PM

One problem I left out

See I forgot to mention a very very important piece of information... I am fifteen years old, but I do know what I'm doing and I have been doing this all my life (and I know that doesn't mean much) and I'm good at it. I just think that being fifteen no one will even think of using my footage. I have worked with a local new station before, but that was associated with school and it was just to use their editing equipment; besides the person supervising never took any of my questions seriously and I got the feeling they thought I was a joke. For this reason I am a little hesitant to call any local station and ask them if I could be a Stringer, but I will work on the suggestions you guys gave me.

Jim Michael September 21st, 2006 04:44 AM

On the other hand, if you're fifteen you might be able to get footage others might not be able to. "How cute, a child with a video camera. Now, about my bribe ..."

Craig Seeman September 21st, 2006 11:26 PM

Actually there's something to be said for Jim's comments about your age.

Often the opposition is usually looking for "slips" to use for tv/radio spots. You certainly may sell such tapes to the opposition. Being 15, no one may suspect your motive.

Sometimes they can spot the "opposition" camera person and ... then slip. Witness the recent "George Allen" incident.

As to the news media, keep in mind they too will only buy it if they think it's noteworthy. The above points out that there is another market for your video and being 15 certainly can have its advantages.