DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Taking Care of Business (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/taking-care-business/)
-   -   Nudity in a demo reel? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/taking-care-business/77487-nudity-demo-reel.html)

Justine Haupt October 14th, 2006 06:09 PM

Nudity in a demo reel?

What are people's opinions on this? A couple people I spoke with (within the industry) said it would be ridiuclous to think anyone would be offended by something like that, but I'm not sure (especially if the reel is viewable online).

Mike Teutsch October 14th, 2006 06:24 PM

Sounds like a bad idea to me!.

Mike

Bill Pryor October 14th, 2006 06:58 PM

We live in the age of the new prudery and the world is full of people looking for things to be offended over. If you're hustling corporate biz, I'd say no because it doesn't get much more prude than in Corporate America. But if you're looking to demo serious photographic work, I wouldn't have a problem with it. Every major photography magazine has nudes.

Dylan Couper October 14th, 2006 08:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mike Teutsch
Sounds like a bad idea to me!.

Mike

Agreed. You'd better send it to me for review first.

Adam Bray October 14th, 2006 09:10 PM

Have a link? I would have to watch it over a few times to decide.
:)

Being serious though. These days, everyone is offended by everything. I'd leave it out.

Randy Boose October 14th, 2006 09:39 PM

Like one of the previous posters, you would really have to think who your target audience is watching the demo reel. With nudity involved though you will probably offend someone and what will it really gain by including it.

Dean Sensui October 15th, 2006 01:13 AM

It's like what I told a neophyte mountain biker who was pondering the risks of a steep downhill run:

If you gotta ask, then don't.

:-)

Daniel J. Wojcik October 15th, 2006 05:41 AM

Then again, do you want to do business with people who are offended so easily?

Steve House October 15th, 2006 09:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Daniel J. Wojcik
Then again, do you want to do business with people who are offended so easily?

Amen to that! I, for one, am tired of the Bluenoses who are most easily offended getting to make the rules and smothering the rest of us who would prefer living in a more open, sensual, and tolerant society. As it is, to survive in today's repressive climate we might have to go along but we don't have to like it.

Justine Haupt October 15th, 2006 09:39 AM

Wow, I should have known a topic like this would get so many responses so fast.

Normally I would just "play it safe" and leave nude stuff out, but it just so happens that some of my best shot's have been... well... nude. A murder scene in a shower, for example.

I don't think my target audience (filmmakers) would be offended by it, but at the same time I have to be sure not to use it for corporate or event jobs.

Does anyone know of legality issues of having it viewable online (it's not right now, for those who asked ;))? I would think I'd just need to put a warning/disclaimer in front of it.

Steve House October 15th, 2006 10:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Justin Haupt
Wow, I should have known a topic like this would get so many responses so fast.

Normally I would just "play it safe" and leave nude stuff out, but it just so happens that some of my best shot's have been... well... nude. A murder scene in a shower, for example.

I don't think my target audience (filmmakers) would be offended by it, but at the same time I have to be sure not to use it for corporate or event jobs.

Does anyone know of legality issues of having it viewable online (it's not right now, for those who asked ;))? I would think I'd just need to put a warning/disclaimer in front of it.

If everyone involved is over 18 I doubt there'd be any legal issues involved. Of course, you might not want to visit certain countries with very closed societies <grin>

There's nothing that says you can't show multiple reels. I'd make up a conservative one for corporate and event markets and a more adventurous one for entertainment and creative markets.

Charles Papert October 15th, 2006 01:17 PM

Multiple reels are preferable. A corporate client could easily be put off by the nude scene on a business level, or at the very least unsure if you are simply the right person to shoot what THEY are looking for. The more your reel resembles the type of project that you are being evaluated for, the more likely you are to get hired.

Same goes for your narrative reel--corporate headshots and people sitting at computers are not great selling points if someone is making a feature (unless it is supposed to resemble a corporate video!)

Ash Greyson October 15th, 2006 04:21 PM

Pretty simple... it is more likely to put people off than get you the job. As Charles said, a reel or reels should be guided toward the clients you most often go after. Charles himself has a very nice narrative steadicam reel, check it out. Do you have one with some of those nice shots from Mr 3000? There was a couple money SC shots in there...

ash =o)

Charles Papert October 15th, 2006 04:41 PM

Thanks Ash,

Yeah, the current version of my Steadicam reel is a few years old so Mr. 3000 is still up front--I'm trying to get around to a recut but I've been focusing more on the DP reel which needs to stay as current as possible.

Both are narrative reels. I don't find it's critical to have a separate commercial/music video reel for Steadicam, but I should have one as a DP and that's ANOTHER project I have to get to (I don't shoot as much of that though).

If anyone wants to look, they are here.

Jipsi Kinnear October 15th, 2006 09:22 PM

Nice demo reel Charles.

Justine Haupt October 16th, 2006 09:20 AM

Very nice.