DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Taking Care of Business (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/taking-care-business/)
-   -   BUYERS BEWARE; CANON XL H1 4 Sale (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/taking-care-business/78068-buyers-beware-canon-xl-h1-4-sale.html)

Brian Scott Fitzgerald October 23rd, 2006 02:13 PM

BUYERS BEWARE; CANON XL H1 4 Sale

I thought I would make some folks aware of a slimy seller.

I won, what was a good deal, not a great deal on EBAY. I e-mailed the seller my cell phone. He called the next day and we made plans for me to fly up and get the equipment.

An hour later he e-mails me and says EBAY made a mistake and the reserve should have been $5k higher, but that he would sell to me at the higher price or take some items out. I should have sensed something when he said all this equipement would cost $60k to replace. Then he admitted he overpaid but still <$25k.

I said no thanks and then after some nasty e-mails I hade EBAY remove him.

I thought he might try to sign up a new EBAY is and sell again.

His name is Victor Rosa, He is from Mount Holly, NJ.

Here are the items he had and if you see them anywhere, buyer beware.

Brian

HERE IS THE TEXT FROM HIS AUCTION;

F YOUR AN ASPIRING FILMMAKER AND HAVE THE FINANCIAL WHEREWITHAL TO ACQUIRE THIS BUNDLE, YOU ARE FORTUNATE! My company has decided to let these items go do to a shift in focus from Produciton to Post-Production services. Hence, all the items being sold here today, all purchased within the last 6 months and with little or no use, are being offered to the benefit of one lucky filmmaker! In addition, the studio will throw in a number of other assets and expendables for FREE! Total retail of this package EXCEEDS $60,000 USD. We are seeking a third of that to recoup our costs. This type of deal comes but only so often! We'll even throw in blank tapes and the like. Here you get EVERYTHING you need to produce your film less the location, talent, editing and lights. We are HAPPY to be able to offer this package and wish the lucky buyer GOOD LUCK and CONGRATULATIONS!! The package includes: Canon XL H1 HD Camcorder: Professional 3CCD camcorder with approximately 1.67 megapixels per CCD 20x optical zoom lens, XL interchangeable lens system High-definition resolution with selectable frame rates 2.4-inch 16:9 color LCD/combination electronic viewfinder panel Powered by a 7.4-volt DC battery pack - CAVISION BELLOWS 4" X 4" MATTE BOX FIT WITH FRENCH FLAG AND WINGS AND 58MM ADAPTER - CRYSTAL VISION 72MM 0.7 AF PRO HI RESOLUTION ULTRA WIDE ANGLE LENS - AVONA BOOM MIC / DEFLECTOR C-STANDS - IKAN 7" HI RESOLUTION LCD MONITOR WITH CAMERA / TRIPOD ADAPTER - DYNATRAN HARD CASES (THREE EACH) FOR THE MATTE BOX, CAMERA AND PANASONIC MONITOR AND 200' S-VIDEO CABLE - PANASONIC BT-LH17002 17" WIDE SCREEN MONITOR - MDP-500 PORTADECK SOUND GEAR WITH SONY BLANK TAPE AND EXTRA BATTERY CASE AND PELICAN SHOCK CASE - MINI SKATER - PROTOTYPE DESIGN FULLY FUNCTIONAL - MATTHEWS ROAD RAGS FLAG KIT - PRO78-XES 7' BOOM MIC WITH 50' OF EXTENTION CABLING - SENNHEISER PXC-300 NOISE CANCELLING HEADPHONES - VIDPRO LX-150 PORTABLE HALOGEN VIDEO LIGHT KIT - 10' PROAM DV CAMERA CRANE / JIB MODEL DVC-200 EXTRAS INCLUDE: - TWO HUGE CASES OF EXPENDABLES, INCLUDING CABLES, AND ACCESSORIES - LIBRARY OF MANUALS AND BOOKS FOR ALL OF THE ABOVE - CHINESE LANTERNS FOR LIGHTING GRIPS - FILTERS - TWO STAGE LIGHTS (RECONDITIONED WITH SPARE BULBS) - SOFTWARE DEMOS (WINDOWS) - BOOKS ON EDITING AND PREMIERE, SOME SOFTWARE AND PLUGINS AVAILABLE AT NO EXTRA COST (MOST UNUSED) - BULL HORN (NEW AN UNUSED) - SONY MINI-DISC PLAYER (TO CHECK SOUND QUALITY OFF PORTADECK) - OVERHEAD PROJECTOR AND SCREEN (GREAT TOOL FOR PRE-PROD PLANNING) - DRY ERASE BOARD (1.5 FOOT SQUARE) - BOLEX VINTAGE DIRECTOR'S VIEWFINDER THIS IS A SWEET DEAL FOR ANYONE WITH THE FINANCIAL MEANS TO ACQUIRE IT. THERE IS A LOT OF STUFF HERE AND I WELCOME EMAILS AND QUERIES AND WILL TAKE INDIVIDUAL PHOTOS FOR THE CURIOUS BUT TO A CERTAIN DEGREE. WE'RE SHOOTING AT THE MOMENT AND IT MAY BE DAYS BEFORE I GET TO YOU ON THAT ONE. OUR STAFF WILL MONITOR THIS SITE AND GOOD LUCK TO THE FORTUNATE WINNER OF THIS SALE!

Mathieu Ghekiere October 23rd, 2006 04:47 PM

Thanks for taking the time to post this and warn people.

If members are interested in buying, they can look at the official sponsors of the site, or at the Private Classifieds board here to buy, I've had good experience with it. (Also had pretty good experience with ebay, but I heard more horror stories about it :-))

Chris Hurd October 24th, 2006 10:30 AM

Moved to Taking Care of Business from the Private Classifieds forum (because Ebay auctions have no bearing whatsoever on our Private Classifieds; we don't even allow Ebay links there).

Bill Pryor October 24th, 2006 01:02 PM

Good post, and good that you turned the guy in.

Not allowing eBay links is a good thing. The search for the unbelievably low price deal will almost always get people burned.

I think one thing many fail to realize is that the manufacturers sell their products to everybody at about the same price. A bigger dealer who buys more cameras at one time may get a discount; a dealer who pays cash up front may get a discount; and sometimes there may be sales incentives on certain models. All that may add up to 5 or 10 pecent, more or less--but it's not going to add up to 30 or 40 percent, and nobody is going to sell a new camera for less than he paid for it.