DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Taking Care of Business (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/taking-care-business/)
-   -   Letter of thanks? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/taking-care-business/84244-letter-thanks.html)

Josh Chesarek January 18th, 2007 02:24 PM

Letter of thanks?

I have had some of my work show up on some TV stations around Orlando and now some of my work might be on the College Sports TV Channel which is national. Other than contacting the people I give the video too is there a good way to go about getting a letter of "thanks" saying that my video was used in their production? I normally Tivo the stuff so I have that and I dont expect them to thank me on air but is there someone specific to ask at a TV station for this type of thing or is it even done? Thanks!

*thanks for the topic move*

Steve House January 18th, 2007 04:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Josh Chesarek
I have had some of my work show up on some TV stations around Orlando and now some of my work might be on the College Sports TV Channel which is national. Other than contacting the people I give the video too is there a good way to go about getting a letter of "thanks" saying that my video was used in their production? I normally Tivo the stuff so I have that and I dont expect them to thank me on air but is there someone specific to ask at a TV station for this type of thing or is it even done? Thanks!

*thanks for the topic move*

Actually I think you've got it backwards! You should be sending THEM the letter of thanks, thanking them for picking up your product and offering to provide more - at a fair market price of course! <grin> In this context you're the vendor and they're your customer. I'll bet the last time you bought a new car you might have gotten a letter of thanks from the dealer or manufacturer but you probably didn't send them one thanking them for selling you the car did you? And if it's some tangible credit for your work that you want (don't we all), I wouldn't be surprised if a letter of thanks to the production company wouldn't result in a reply acknowledging your contribution.

Josh Chesarek January 18th, 2007 05:34 PM

Well that is certianly a way to look at it and I can agree with that. So far though I have been hired by the college to film events and paid to do so and I thank them every time. The times my work has been used on tv is when the college sports do well and they ask me for any film I can provide (usually with the stipulation that they don't care enough to pay it) I guess letter of thanks isnt the right word, just proof my stuff was used? Is that a pointless thing to want?

Steve House January 18th, 2007 05:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Josh Chesarek
Well that is certianly a way to look at it and I can agree with that. So far though I have been hired by the college to film events and paid to do so and I thank them every time. The times my work has been used on tv is when the college sports do well and they ask me for any film I can provide (usually with the stipulation that they don't care enough to pay it) I guess letter of thanks isnt the right word, just proof my stuff was used? Is that a pointless thing to want?

Not at all ... just I think you'll be most likely to get that proof if you thank them for using your footage. Appreciation begets appreciation.

Josh Chesarek January 18th, 2007 06:11 PM

Fair enough Ill drop off a letter tomorrow :) Can't hurt.