When Can You Call Yourself a Professional? - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > Taking Care of Business

Taking Care of Business
The pen and paper aspects of DV -- put it in writing!

Old March 30th, 2007, 09:48 AM   #16
Major Player

Location: Central North Carolina (Raleigh, Durham, & surrounding areas)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh Laronge View Post
Isn't everyone with a 3 ccd camcorder a professional?
So...if I have TWO 3ccd camcorders, does that make me TWICE as professional? :-)
Mark Holland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 9th, 2007, 04:53 PM   #17
Regular Crew

I have been asking myself this question a lot lately.

I recently entered the professional field and am now working out of a guys basement that does executive communications for a major technology company.

Man, I never thought professional video could look this bad. This guy does some goofy editing, and though I just graduated college last may, I am sure I could shoot better video than I have saw so far.

But yes, his clients are repeatedly hiring him, so I guess the ability to satisfy your clients is the key to being professional?

(these guys also all shoot with 3ccd cams by the way)
Greg Hartzell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 9th, 2007, 05:16 PM   #18
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Hartzell View Post
... and though I just graduated college last may, I am sure I could shoot better video than I have saw so far.
I'm curious. Was your degree in English? ;)

Jeff
Jeff Emery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 9th, 2007, 05:38 PM   #19
Regular Crew

Nope, I was a comm. major. Why would you ask?

I was hired under the University's media department and worked under their videographer and engineer for a year. Worked as lab assistant in the edit lab and television studio. I shot a lot of b-roll, various campus events and was p.a. on a number of university shoots.

Great experience and this was how I supported myself (other than living with my parrents). Does this mean I have been a pro for a while? Never mind, tahts just silly.
Old April 9th, 2007, 06:00 PM   #20
Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Hartzell View Post
Nope, I was a comm. major. Why would you ask?
Note the emoticon at the end of his question. He was dogging you for not capitalizing the word May. Just a friendly ribbing of course.

-gb-
Greg Boston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 9th, 2007, 07:14 PM   #21
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh Laronge View Post
Isn't everyone with a 3 ccd camcorder a professional?
No, The late Jamie Uys a South-African filmaker (Beatifull People, The Gods
must be crazy etc. once stated ; " You can shoot a movie on toiletpaper as
long as you've got a good story to tell. " His statement obviously included
the craft of filmmaking.

I think, the use of a camera's functions in auto mode vs completely
manual mode relates more to the term / professional / amateur.

This statement is obviously debatable / I prefer having complete manual
control.

Herman.
Herman Van Deventer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 10th, 2007, 12:03 AM   #22
Trustee

You know, after seeing this thread resurface for a while I realize there's something I didn't say before.

It's absolutely meaningless when (or even if) you EVER start to call yourself a professional.

It only actually matters when OTHERS do.

For what it's worth.
Bill Davis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 10th, 2007, 04:21 AM   #23
Major Player

Bang on the money.
Old April 10th, 2007, 04:55 AM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Boston View Post
Note the emoticon at the end of his question. He was dogging you for not capitalizing the word May. Just a friendly ribbing of course.

-gb-
LOL -- Greg, the lower case "m" may have been a typo, even English majors make typos! What was being referred to was the "I am sure I could shoot better video than I have saw so far."

That should read: I am sure I could shoot better video than I have seen so far.
Jay Gladwell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 10th, 2007, 07:01 AM   #25
Regular Crew

Hey man,

Sorry for the typos. I was tired after a long day of synching mp3 audio to mpg video. This is the workflow I now have to deal with as a "professional."

Any advice for dealing with people who think they know what they are doing? Or people who think they are video professionals, but refuse to understand the technology involved?

I would appreciate any advice.

Thank you.
Old April 10th, 2007, 07:25 AM   #26
Inner Circle

What's in a name!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Davis View Post
You know, after seeing this thread resurface for a while I realize there's something I didn't say before.

It's absolutely meaningless when (or even if) you EVER start to call yourself a professional.

It only actually matters when OTHERS do.

For what it's worth.
Bill,

I would say that you are about 99% right, but I ran into an exception recently!

Around my area I have done many projects and I am involved in groups that include film school teachers, actors and actresses, producers, directors, etc… I would show up with some of my equipment, to work on a project, and they would ask what I did, as in was I a prefessional. One of the film school instructors asked me one day if I was a “Professional” or a “Serious Amateur?” I did not and do not at this time have a real business, nor do I seek out work. So I thought the term,”Serious Amateur” sounded good! So that’s the term I decided to use to describe what I do. I still do pro work, when approached by those who know me and my work, but most shoot films for others here locally.

I replied to a listing to do a shoot in Orlando, not far from me. I was just simple product demonstrations. The gentleman asked if I was a professional. I responded that I would call myself a "Serious Amateur." I also sent him a list of the equipment that I have, which is worth well over $30,000. I also mentioned some projects I had done.

I got a reply from him which said he was looking for a professional….period” I replied that I do professional work, and he said but “you said you were an amateur!” In the end I did not get the work and never heard from him again.

So, I guess if you really want to get paid to do professional work, weather you are any good or not, you better call yourself a “Professional!”

Mike

PS: I was hired recently for an interview shoot. The guy that hired me has a production company locally, under a LLC, Limited Liability Corporation. He was contacted by a university in Iowa, who found him by looking for local LLC video production companies. They hired him and he hired me. The shoot went just fine and they complemented him on the work. The funny part is that he has business cards and an LLC, but does not even have a camera! Go figure!

Mike
Old April 10th, 2007, 09:45 AM   #27
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herman Van Deventer View Post
No, The late Jamie Uys a South-African filmaker (Beatifull People, The Gods
must be crazy etc. once stated ; " You can shoot a movie on toiletpaper as
long as you've got a good story to tell. " His statement obviously included
the craft of filmmaking.

Herman.
Off Topic - Six degrees... I found out last month the Uys I work with is his nephew. He has the bow from The Gods...
George Ellis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 10th, 2007, 02:34 PM   #28
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay Gladwell View Post
LOL -- Greg, the lower case "m" may have been a typo, even English majors make typos! What was being referred to was the "I am sure I could shoot better video than I have saw so far."

That should read: I am sure I could shoot better video than I have seen so far.
That is what I was kidding Greg about.

I put the winking smile at the end to let him know I was just ribbing him a bit. It struck me as funny when I read the part about being a college graduate and then making a simple error. Just kidding around with you, Greg. I hope I did not offend you.

But like I always say...
Once you speak good English, well, ain't nobody can't never take that from ya.

:)
Jeff
Jeff Emery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 10th, 2007, 03:01 PM   #29
Regular Crew

I guess I am spoiled and I am too used to writing in word with spelling and gramar check. I realize that most of the people on this forum probably wrote papers on typewriters. Being able to use english effectively is also part of being a professional.

Don't wrooy much though, I am more than capable of handling a joke.
Old April 10th, 2007, 03:39 PM   #30
Inner Circle

From Webster:

1 a : of, relating to, or characteristic of a profession b : engaged in one of the learned professions c (1) : characterized by or conforming to the technical or ethical standards of a profession (2) : exhibiting a courteous, conscientious, and generally businesslike manner in the workplace

2 a : participating for gain or livelihood in an activity or field of endeavor often engaged in by amateurs <a professional golfer> b : having a particular profession as a permanent career <a professional soldier> c : engaged in by persons receiving financial return <professional football>

3 : following a line of conduct as though it were a profession <a professional patriot>

---------------------

So basically, when you're doing effective work in a businesslike manner and getting paid for it, that's enough for Webster.
Kevin Shaw is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > Taking Care of Business